When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Bezel fit on WM9 sub's?

CaptainJack

Hey guys,

Curious if any of you have, or know of anyone who has, installed a gen submariner bezel on a

WM9 submariner V3? I'm trying to find a gen bezel/bezel assembly for my V3 and was curious if

a gen bezel will fit properly on the WM9 crystal retainer or if I need the whole assembly to

do it right.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jack

EDIT: I didn't notice you were asking about the bezel and not the insert. Sorry but I cn't help you there.

I have a WM9 v3 case that I built into a silver serti dial and used a WO insert that is supposed to fit the gen case and it popped right in so my guess is the gen would probably fit the same way.

These pictures are with no modifications or sanding on the insert:

blueserti.jpg

DSCN4337.jpg

DSCN4341.jpg

Edited by kbh

I assume you are talking about the bezel and not the bezel insert?

I received my advice from Ubi originally but did successfully install a GEN bezel on my WM9 V2 Z serial sub. I later installed a complete GEN bezel assembly on my "Project X" homage sub. (I used a V3 WM9 LV case) The key part needed for this mod is the GEN crystal retaining ring.

A genuine bezel will not fit on a rep retainer and function. You can fit it on but it will not turn. The width and profile are different and not 1:1. You will need to find a gen retainer and a new crystal gasket too. here is a pic of my franken(no longer owned) with gen bezel etc fitted on a V2 case.

003.jpg

Thanks guys for the input, it finally puts to rest the question about what I need to search for

if I want to do the gen bezel thing.

If this watch had come with the original V3 bezel and insert, I wouldn't be doing this.

The crap that came installed on the watch was embarrassing, I should have returned it, but I

had plans to do the franken thing anyway, just not to this level. I've already got the gen

crown, dial, insert and crystal; if I could find a V3 bezel, I think I'd stop there, but

they appear to be as rare as a gen.

Again, thanks for all your help,

Jack

vlydog, drop me a line at jack@cmspan.net.

Can't send you a PM.

Jack

I assume you are talking about the bezel and not the bezel insert?

I received my advice from Ubi originally but did successfully install a GEN bezel on my WM9 V2 Z serial sub. I later installed a complete GEN bezel assembly on my "Project X" homage sub. (I used a V3 WM9 LV case) The key part needed for this mod is the GEN crystal retaining ring.

Reading all of this has now gotten me a bit confused. I have a v2 and have recently gotten a gen crystal w/gasket and gen bezel insert.

So these won't just swap out with the rep parts? And I'm also going to need a gen crystal retaining ring??

The more I read about all this gen part replacement and the more I look at the v2's, I'm beginning to think I should change then inserts on them and leave the rest alone. I wear mine as a beater anyway and to be honost I'm only doing the gen part thing for something to do. I myself am perfectly happy with the way they look now.

Reading all of this has now gotten me a bit confused. I have a v2 and have recently gotten a gen crystal w/gasket and gen bezel insert.

So these won't just swap out with the rep parts? And I'm also going to need a gen crystal retaining ring??

The more I read about all this gen part replacement and the more I look at the v2's, I'm beginning to think I should change then inserts on them and leave the rest alone. I wear mine as a beater anyway and to be honost I'm only doing the gen part thing for something to do. I myself am perfectly happy with the way they look now.

I'm not sure how the GEN crystal compares to a Clark's crystal, but I installed a Clark's in mine and had to remove a little material from the inside of my stock retaining ring. Some say you can press it on without sanding the retaining ring, but BK recommended I remove a little material.

I'll take BK's advice every time.

Thanks for the info, guys. I've heard talk of having to lightly sand the edge of a gen insert to allow for a "snap" fit.

Is this talk referring to the outer edge (diameter) of the insert or the flat edge of the insert that sits on the bezel itself.??

And if sanding the retaining ring is required, I take it that means gently sanding the inside of the ring to "open it up" just a tad because the diameter of the gen crystal is slightly larger than that of the Clarks???

Also, where might I find tutorials to remove the mvt if I were to go about doing the crystal swap myself??

I know it's probably best to let someone who knows what they're doing and has done it before handle the job, but that's why I scooped up a couple cheap Subs on CL before ever diving into the rep world. To practice and learn on.

Thanks for all the helpful info, guys. I'm hoping to be able to do the job myself if it isn't too difficult.

I'm not sure how the GEN crystal compares to a Clark's crystal, but I installed a Clark's in mine and had to remove a little material from the inside of my stock retaining ring. Some say you can press it on without sanding the retaining ring, but BK recommended I remove a little material.

I'll take BK's advice every time.

That's a very wise decision. I would do it the way BK recommends as well. I've not yet asked his advice as the last PM I had with him was a quote on his sourcing the gen parts and installing them. Can't blame a man for wanting to save a few bucks whenever possible. Certainly NO offense to BK.

Thanks for the info, guys. I've heard talk of having to lightly sand the edge of a gen insert to allow for a "snap" fit.

Is this talk referring to the outer edge (diameter) of the insert or the flat edge of the insert that sits on the bezel itself.??

And if sanding the retaining ring is required, I take it that means gently sanding the inside of the ring to "open it up" just a tad because the diameter of the gen crystal is slightly larger than that of the Clarks???

Also, where might I find tutorials to remove the mvt if I were to go about doing the crystal swap myself??

I know it's probably best to let someone who knows what they're doing and has done it before handle the job, but that's why I scooped up a couple cheap Subs on CL before ever diving into the rep world. To practice and learn on.

Thanks for all the helpful info, guys. I'm hoping to be able to do the job myself if it isn't too difficult.

crystal swap is easy - you don't need to remove the movement -

you only need an crystal press to get the bezel back on :)

just search "Euromariner" and all your questions will be answered ;)

somewhere here you find a pic how the gen assembly looks like : *Euro*

at the moment i have a gen crystal with cousins gasket in a WM 1.5 Sub installed - no sanding was necessary ...

cheers,

Frank

Thanks for that info, sir. I will ask Euromariner how it's done.

I can see the crystal going in from the top well enough, but how do you get the other crystal out from the top with having to pry it out??

And a crystal press is needed to fully seat the crystal or to fit the bezel insert around the outer diameter of the crystal???

If it's that tight between the insert and the crystal, how is it able to turn freely??

Regards

Edited by d-rock

Thanks for that info, sir. I will ask Euromariner how it's done.

I can see the crystal going in from the top well enough, but how do you get the other crystal out from the top with having to pry it out??

And a crystal press is needed to fully seat the crystal or to fit the bezel insert around the outer diameter of the crystal???

If it's that tight between the insert and the crystal, how is it able to turn freely??

Regards

Euromariner was the first Sub with gen like construction ;)

you have to remove the bezel first with some watchmaker-knife - when the retaining ring is out -

the gasket and crystal are free and easy to remove.

EDIT: I didn't notice you were asking about the bezel and not the insert. Sorry but I cn't help you there.

I have a WM9 v3 case that I built into a silver serti dial and used a WO insert that is supposed to fit the gen case and it popped right in so my guess is the gen would probably fit the same way.

These pictures are with no modifications or sanding on the insert:

blueserti.jpg

DSCN4337.jpg

DSCN4341.jpg

WOW !!! Now THATS a BEAUTIFUL looking Sub. I love the serti/blue color combo.