When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding a 7750 to fit asymetric 6263

dieselpower

As part of my quest to build a 6263 I was wondering if it would be possible to take a 7750 movement out of a non-asymetric pusher daytona rep and have it modified to work in a case that has asymetric pusher configuration. I ask this because I have a spare watch that I hardly ever wear and it has an asian 7750 movement in it so my idea is to remove it from my unwanted watch, have its auto movement adapted to turn it into a manual wind, and drop it into a V72 type case until such time as I can source a good V72.

Hope this makes sense and thanks to the vintage Daytona experts out there for any advice.

The two cases are different- V72 and 7750/60.

You can however drop a std 7750 into a DW 7750 case w/ assymetrical pushers w/ no problem.

Watch on the right is cartel 6238 (symetrical pushers) that I dropped into a DW 6239/7750 case.

P1010060.jpg

Left is the V72 cased, 6238/9 transitional.

Diesel, let me clarify, these are two different cases, one for the V72 and one for the 7750 movement. You can't fit a 7750 in the V72 case, that I'm aware of. The assymetric pushers work with the 7750 movement because of the way the movement is set up- there's a range of area where the pushers will work which is larger than you would expect, not just one point. So even though you have assymetric pushers in the 7750 case, they still contact the movement correctly to operate the chrono stop/start buttons.

@ alligoat

Thanks for that clarification. You have just answered a question that has been bugging me for some years now. I see exactly what you mean and it is indeed surprising that the 7750 movements chrono reset function can be operated over such a broad variation. As a person who has never taken a watch apart I naively thought that the fine tolerances involved would have meant that the chrono reset button would have completely missed the spot on the movement where the reset lever (or whatever its called :whistling: ) needs to be activated.

I have to offer you further thanks as I now feel confident that I can use my 'spare' 7750 without any modification as long as I invest in a 7750 asymmetric case :victory:

I can use my 'spare' 7750 without any modification as long as I invest in a 7750 asymmetric case :victory:

Correct. As it turns out, there is nothing special about the 7750 movements inside asymmetrical cases. It is all about the pusher location in the case. The pusher does not press down onto a single point on the edge of the movement. Instead, it presses down on an L-shaped arm that has a relatively wide face, which allows the pusher to be placed slightly above or slightly below (which will place the pusher in the proper spot) the center. Once you see how the pusher operates, you have to wonder why 62xx Daytona reps have not always been made this way. :bangin:

It might work Dizzy, but all you can do is try. As I found out, not all V72's will even work in a DW V72 case. This is because the plates are slightly larger than the standard 13 ligne movement. My V72 in my Heuer was that way- the movement was actually slightly larger than a standard V72. The Heuer watch was 38mm across, unlike a lot of the V72 watches which are in the 35-36mm range casewise.

Stem height is another complication- the MM and V23 don't have the added hour counter functions which could thicken the movement and alter stem position.

All you can do is try, or possibly save yourself the headaches and order a V72 case from DW.