When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Help from You Rollie Experts

mpp

Hi Guys, Recently came into Great Uncles Old GMT

He was a Sea Captain and Had it on his wrist ALWAYS around the planet!

I know he had the bezel insert replaced but I have the original, crystal plexi split too and Rolex replaced and tried some relume job but failed.

Rivet Bracelet and End Links say 65 and we have no CG's...what is this model ?

Any help is most appreciated and thanks for your expertise! Just want to know what it is !!

Please forgive the crappy iphone pics...better ones tomorrow!

MP

036pc.th.jpg

037ix.th.jpg

038ct.th.jpg

039qe.th.jpg

040hi.th.jpg

041hvd.th.jpg

042gx.th.jpg

043pv.th.jpg

044stj.th.jpg

Okay, you're punking us, right? Let me look around... where's the camera... hmmmmm, no camera.

Are you serious? You were just HANDED this watch?

*klunk* <--- Nanuq falls over unconscious

Praetor is right, that's a 6542 GMT. The only GMT with no crown guards. Good LORD that's a fine watch.

Okay ship us some more photos. Then we'll give you the low-down on what to do next. I have a Submariner from the same era and there is one person I trust to tear it down, service it, fix any ugly dial lume (if at all) and to put it back in the best condition it can be in.

But first, more photos! :Jumpy:

Oh, and congratulations!

Please more detailed photos.That is a seriously valuable watch. I would expect if it was correctly restored, and I mean meticulously and correctly done, it would have a value of somewhere north of 20K, possibly much more! It looks like the bezel insert was changed at some point in time from the bakelite bezel to a metal bezel.

I would seriously doubt that Rolex would tackle one that old. The RSC's are not accepting any vintage models unless their is a documented service history at some RSC (Rolex Service center) and even with that, only watches that they still have parts for. You want to send it to someone who will do a loving restoration, and has a source for NOS genuine parts. This is NOT the watch you want to stick a Jewelry and Watch rep bakelite bezel on!!

If you are in the USA, I would consider sending it to Bob Ridley in Arlington TX. He is a master watchmaker, and his specialty is high end Rolex, Patek, etc. He did a restoration for me several years ago.one of quite a few i have had him do, but this one was a Steel/Gold lady Datejust that was my late wife's watch. she had worn it every day for probably 15-20 years. She took it to a Rolex dealer who told her that it wasn't worth fixing, but he would trade it for a new one!. After her death, I wanted to give it to my daughter in law. I sent it to Bob and about 6 weeks later, i got back a watch that was practically indestinguishable from new. He did a wonderful restoration job on this one, as well as several others over the years. Lots of folks on the Rolex forum as well as the Vintage Rolex Forum swear by him. He isn't cheap, but his work is quality all the way.

JUst saw that you are in Texas. by all means make a trip to Arlington and let Bob look at it. Even if you have someone else do the work, he can gcve you good sound advice on the way to go. You can google Bob Ridley and get his phone # and address.

Here is a link to his website

Bob Ridley

I couldn't agree more with Panerai153. That is a highly collectible and very valuable piece. It deserves to be restored, but be prepared for some big expenses in doing so.

Most of all, the movement needs to be torn down and inspected for wear. If all is well, count your lucky stars and get it cleaned and oiled.

Next you want to have the dial and bezel insert looked at. If the dial was "refinished" there are people that can undo most of that. It's important to have a dial as close to original as possible. I have a 6536 Sub from the same era that had a trashed dial. I can recommend the gentleman that undid that damage without reservation.

Next, you need to get that metal bezel insert out of there and put the original broken bakelite insert back in. That will take a surgeon's touch, and again I can recommend a true artist that will put his whole heart and soul into refitting it right.

Then... you will have pulled this beauty back from the brink and it will be a good, solid, dependable watch for another generation. Please PM if you need details.

Nice "big logo" bracelet :Jumpy:

Those bracelets alone are going for $8000+ on ebay right now. You really have something special there my friend. I would also recommend Bob Ridley. If I had a watch like that I would send it to him for sure. He is the watchmaker trusted with the best of the best vintage Rolex watches.

dizz

Guys thank you all so much for all the input!

I am proud to be a member here with all the knowledge!

I actually live 5 mins from Bob :)

what are the odds lol

Again my thanks to all of you for the input and advice and more pics to come !

Cheers,

MP

:)

Those bracelets alone are going for $8000+ on ebay right now.

That is SICK. I mean that lousy, lightweight, flimsy, "cheapy" Rolex bracelet!

$8K, right? Rolex collectors are totally crazy, that's all I can say. :D

PS: Congrats for the watch mpp. Awesome!

I think the last big logo on ebay went for $9500...

Theres another one on there now thats ending soon... and yeah those collectors are NUTS, but if you have the dough then why not??

lol

I think the last big logo on ebay went for $9500...

Theres another one on there now thats ending soon... and yeah those collectors are NUTS, but if you have the dough then why not??

lol

You know the old saying... "there's a thin line between collecting and mental problems". :D