When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BK GMT2 Alternative...

Boba77

• 5 months later...

"...what would be the next best thing?"

The case and dial are the most important parts so if you can find a good case and dial (even if it has a DG etc movement), you can make a 'swiss replica' GMT II using an Eta 2836 GMT movement and hands.

Be sure to use the 2836 with the 'incorrect hand stack' (ihs) with 24H, 12H, M hand from dial up as most of the adjustable 'correct hand stack' (chs) models cause trouble.

Otoh, the 'chs' model might be Ok if you never set the adjustable hand but I really do not know much about them. Read up on the 'chs' models to be sure.

All Eta 2836 GMT movements in replicas are modified regular movements afaik but the 'ihs' models seem to run Ok with no trouble. You might have to buy a longer canon pinion and hour wheel to give more hand clearance but this is a minor fix.

I recently picked up a noob GMT just like Cats' that had a busted movement. Serviced by PBdad's watchsmith (that alone ran about $250) and had the insert swapped from black to Pepsi. Thing is, it's not really for me, and I've got too many watches.

Anyone looking is welcomed to PM me, the whole collection is going up for sale as soon as I get ahold of a decent camera

img0744df.jpg

Edited by ispytonyv