When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crowns and tubes

dieselpower

I have noticed that alot of repected folks hereabouts keep saying "fit a gen crown and aftermarket tube"..... and I was wondering why not fit a gen tube? For example, on my up and coming 6263 I will be fitting a gen 7mm 703 crown - but why not a gen tube as well? Are they so difficult to get hold of now? Are they rubbish? Also I seem to remember that of thew aftermarket tubes for a 703 crown there was a big difference in quality, some had more threads on them, some had different types of thread etc etc. So, in a nutshell - which crown and tube combination should I go for on my DW 6263 case? Whilst I am banging on about it, is there any difference in gen crowns? I have seen ads for 7mm crowns being suitable for subs, SD's daytonas, all three, only subs etc etc. Basically, if I get a gen 7mm 703 crown have I done right - even though it may say 'suitable for your 1665 sea dweller' or whatever?

Thanks in advance.

Gen tubes are as available as Gen crowns. The cost for an unopened set from my watchmaker is $80.00. All 703 crowns are Rolex spec replacements for the watches you listed.

Go Gen if you can get them at a fair price. The aftermarket tubes are hit/miss but Gen are always top notch.

Good luck with the build.

I believe CousinsUK has decent aftermarket tubes- a little cheaper.

I buy from wholesaleoutlet990 here in the states, but probably not worth it for you.

Crowns- 703- are the early type with the more elongated crown emblem on the face of the crown and the later ones with a squatter crown- either is fine- the older ones are typically used.

I went with gen 703 crown and aftermarket tube on the last couple builds, and one is smooth as a baby's butt and the other is sorta rough. But gen tube/crown??? Works every time.

Someone was selling a very tasty 702 set here a couple days ago. That's how I'd roll for vintage.

for me its an aftermarket crown tube since a gen tube costs usually 10X as much, despite all natural hindrances im going to buy one from WO since ive heard nothing but good things about their tubes. the tube is not visible and would get little use once i set the watch. as long as it keeps water out its not something i would go gen. if it had a rolex logo on it then i would have to, but no one will call a rep based on the tube if its the correct type. theres a 702 set for sale on RWI Nan'

@justasgood -whats a fair price for a sealed vintage style 703 crown?

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

Here you go Nanuq:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/gen-702-crown-aftermarket-tube-62686.html

Marsupilami also produced a run of 702 tubes awhile back, don't know if he has any left.

I suspect others are producing them also, but not 100% sure about it.

Mark Greenberg- moelarrycu on the bay- sells 702 crowns from time to time, used to cost around $70.

A few years ago I offered all the crowns and tubes below at NAWCC shows for $3000 and all the rolex gurus said:

"You're crazy, that's too damn much".

I bet they would change their tune today after having to pay $100 for a steel 6mm crown or $250 for a gold 7mm crown.

The amount I paid is listed (most of it came from from DRS Inc on 47th St NYC).

I do not sell anything because I use them on watches for resale and can not get any parts now.

Inventory on 10-11-10

(there was a little bit more when I offered it for $3000)

Crowns

24-703-8...3.....$75

24-703-0...8.....$35

24-603-8...11....$35

24-603-0...10....$20

24-600-8...19....$35

24-600-0...10....$20

24-530-8...14....$35

24-530-0...17....$20

Tubes

24-7030-0...3....$22

24-6020...6......$8

24-5300...1......$8

24-5330-0...7...$10

24-5310...3......$8

24-5320...4......$8

None of it is the current 'monobloc' stuff so it is original to older watches...the stuff that needs tubes and crowns.

Looking back, it would have been a pretty good deal for $3000.

Glad I kept them. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Current eBay prices:

http://jewelry.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=rolex+crown&_sacat=281&_odkw=rolex+crown&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313