When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The 2nd best Sub?

collector

dont lose hope my friend! There are still options out there...

I still have my good old modded MBW 16610. Its pretty darn accurate out of the box, but when modded properly it can rival any WM9 out there.

MBW 16610

gen insert

Lumed Noobmariner dial

Clarks ETA hands

ETA 2836-2 serviced

Rolex 24-703 crown and tube

Noobmariner Bracelet

Refinished and polished a little to look like a late 90's model. Modded crown guards and all that of course.

Next to that, you can get a Noobmariner and mod it a little. The only issue with that one if the shallow rehaut but not that big of a deal. Although it is noticable on the wrist to anyone who knows what to look for.. Not sure what else is around right now. Ive been wearing vintages all the time for the last year.

Another option is to get them new Ceramic sub from BK. Thats probably what I would do if i wanted one. I think he still offers the classic Noobmariner also, but I dont think they come with ETA movements anymore. You would have to Pm him and find out or have a look in his section here.

A gen sub isn't a bad idea. If you could pick up an old 16610 in the $3000-3500 range, that would be a good price. You can also find 16800's in that price range. Just be ready to spend a couple of hundred more to service them.

As for reps, don't know if BK is out of WM9's or not, seems like he's been pretty quiet lately. If he is, decent 16610 reps are going to be hard to find. The Euromariner from Eurotimez was an MBW with noob dial and bracelet. Don't know if Narikaa could get an MBW 16610 these days or not. Precious Time had the WM9 V1.5, don't know what he has these days....

Of course, the Rolex 16610 could quickly become a collector's piece in it's own right. With the 116610 out these days, Rolex may stop producing the 16610. It's been around for 23 yrs or so.

Keep a eye peeled on the sales corner, maybe you can find a good WM9 or Euromariner/MBW.

. I think he still offers the classic Noobmariner also, but I dont think they come with ETA movements anymore. You would have to Pm him and find out or have a look in his section here.

If i remember correctly, Noobfactory is shifting to Selita movements, which are still Swiss, of course. Some say better than ETA. The Noobmariner comes in a21j, Clone, genuine Swiss, and asia 3135 clone flavors from the factory.

I would try to source an old, ETA-powered Noobmariner through member trades. The one without crappy rehaut engraving of course. That engraving pretty much killed the rep (at least for me).

The old, classic Noob still a very good Sub replica. The only thing it needs is a crown replacement... that was terribly oversized.

I gotta say a couple things about the ETA 2678 mvt's used in these. The winding mech. in them is literally silent and when set in sync and wound, they keep exact time with each other. These weren't set to "sync" for the picture...to be honost they were set sync almost 16 hours ago. IMO...that's pretty impressive. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm sticking to having a pair of BK WM9's slightly modded. I did run into a minor set-back as it seems the inner teeth on my latest one are wiped out :wounded1:

Where did u get the original rolex bezel in the left top corner with the number "101991614" ? how much did u pay?

OK Frank so You bought it WITH the engraved rehaut :whistling: ?

I asked PT earlier this year ( may!) and he actually could get the WM9 V 1,5 sub BUT ONLY with the engraved rehaut ( that is not so nice :wounded1: )

But it is perhaps easy to remove :mellow:

yes - i bought it with engraved rehaut - but its very easy to remove ;)

OK You are a "pro" at this as You have done that with Your old Euromariner as well :whistling:

Did it look OK when You look cloose at it?

i first did it with sandpaper and was not happy - but with this pads its very easy

you cant really do much harm ;) and yes it looks good when i look closer :yeah:

• 8 months later...