When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just when I thought my albino '42 was the living end

freddy333

I have never seen lume on a dial like that colour. I've got to say, I like it. Freddy, sometimes I think you collect watches because it's rare and wanted by collectors. Is that true? =D

not to hi-jack your thread, but my grail would be this unattainable watch: (I feel your pain)

A Rolex 6239 underline double swiss dial watch in black, worth about 70 grand unfortunately.

swissunderline.jpg

Edited by praetor

Freddy, sometimes I think you collect watches because it's rare and wanted by collectors. Is that true? =D

Almost true. I collect reps of fairly common luxury watches, but I only spend serious money (above $1k) to construct frankens of rare vintage Rolex watches that are out of reach to mere mortals

048-2_2__tonemapped.jpg

IMG_02002__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

IMG_0249_7_8_tonemapped_enhan_cool1.jpg

nov2010adventure0252__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

6542twins300022__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

Well, you get the idea.

not to hi-jack your thread, but my grail would be this unattainable watch: (I feel your pain)

A Rolex 6239 underline double swiss dial watch in black, worth about 70 grand unfortunately.

Unfortunately, I think you may have to wait until hell freezes over (or you can afford the price of a gen) before anyone will ever (faithfully) repro a double-Swiss dial. But, although I cannot provide any links, I have seen underline 62xx aftermarket dials over the years, so I know they are out there.

I have never seen lume on a dial like that colour. I've got to say, I like it. Freddy, sometimes I think you collect watches because it's rare and wanted by collectors. Is that true? =D

swissunderline.jpg

Not really unobtainable. One recently sold, and the last time I checked, another was still on the market. Stafano's pic is nice, but unfortunately has an incorrect second hand.

@freddy333, speaking of rare birds, when are you going to build one of these?

post-783-0-04604200-1290094926.jpg

I gotta ask, remember, I am living vicariously through you guys :D

Also, when cruising through NDTrading's site recently, I saw this for $4k

post-783-0-08940100-1290095066.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what are the odds of someone buying this franken and actually getting one that looks as good as that picture?

B)

@freddy333, speaking of rare birds, when are you going to build one of these?

A couple of years ago, while doing some reconnaissance for my Phase I '42, I located a reasonable albino Daytona dial (from a website that has since vanished into the ether), but, ultimately, I just was not sufficiently enamored with that model to pursue it..............& I think I have enough Daytonas to keep me off the streets. :whistling:

hangingdaytonas005vivid21.jpg

black62390101.jpg

055-2_2__tonemapped.jpg

Also, when cruising through NDTrading's site recently, I saw this for $4k

I wanted to use their dial, but NDtrading wanted $850 for the dial alone. When I asked why such an excessive price, they said 'dial has special paint'. :rofl: I suspect, as is usually the case, the same dial will eventually begin to appear in the listings of many of our usual sources & for a reasonable price.

Anyway, this cost me about $2,500 & everything except the dial & insert is gen (many parts NOS), & since I did the work myself, I know that everything is in correct working order & correct for the model

6542red80052__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what are the odds of someone buying this franken and actually getting one that looks as good as that picture?

Based on what I have seen, highly unlikely. And the biggest question, again, based on what I have seen, is how many (serious) problems would be lurking inside. :bangin:

So, if you have no other options, that is certainly 1 way to get an albino '42. But I think you can also see that you are paying dearly for the chance. :bangin:

Geneva-47.jpg

White 6205 Sub. I am always suspicious when I see oddities like this appear out of nowhere, especially, without the original bracelet. But the owner has good credentials, so I accept his word that it is gen (although the hands do not appear to be original to this watch).

I would trust your instinct. It's an interesting watch, for sure, but there's definitely something not quite right about it. Possibly a franken built to custom specifications?

It's an interesting watch, for sure, but there's definitely something not quite right about it. Possibly a franken built to custom specifications?

Were it not for the fact that the owner is a knowledgeable & reliable vintage Rolex collector, I would have written this off as a poorly made franken. It may very well turn out to be similar to some of mine where only the dial is non-gen. Hard to tell with certainty without being able to open the case & inspect everything in person. But the watch appeared on the wrist of this guy while attending the recent Christie's auction in Geneva, where there are more than sufficient numbers of authoritative eyes & if anything about it appeared amiss to these people, I am pretty certain its questionable lineage would have been called out (or, at least, mentioned). So, for now, I would file this 1 in the 'With vintage Rolex, never say never.' category.

Were it not for the fact that the owner is a knowledgeable & reliable vintage Rolex collector, I would have written this off as a poorly made franken. It may very well turn out to be similar to some of mine where only the dial is non-gen. Hard to tell with certainty without being able to open the case & inspect everything in person. But the watch appeared on the wrist of this guy while attending the recent Christie's auction in Geneva, where there are more than sufficient numbers of authoritative eyes & if anything about it appeared amiss to these people, I am pretty certain its questionable lineage would have been called out (or, at least, mentioned). So, for now, I would file this 1 in the 'With vintage Rolex, never say never.' category.

Something else which might explain it, is the dial, for some reason, makes me think of a factory prototype. The blurring/fading of the bezel markings is also interesting. Of course, the strap might simply be a new 'upgrade' following a failure of an original bracelet or an aged leather strap. It's certainly an interesting watch, for sure, thanks for sharing the photo :drinks:

I suppose that if Rolex made a special edition of the GMT in white dial for PanAm, as well as other special dials for companies like Dominoes Pizza, Coca Cola, etc., then its possible that this albino sub may have been made for a private entity. We all know how sketchy Rolex records keeping was back then, so who's to say.

BTW - freddy, you're albino GMT looks like a million bucks!! I am not sure I took the opportunity to compliment before, so I'll do it now, FANTASTIC GMT!!

B)

southcoast68: Have you seen alligoat's albino 6239? It's not what you showed (lovely blue hands), but it's a good reminder that new things are popping up all the time.

Freddy, your Pan-Am GMT looks much nicer and more genuine than that weird-o Sub--regardless of its provenance!

southcoast68: Have you seen alligoat's albino 6239? It's not what you showed (lovely blue hands), but it's a good reminder that new things are popping up all the time.

Freddy, your Pan-Am GMT looks much nicer and more genuine than that weird-o Sub--regardless of its provenance!

@LHOOQ, yes I have seen alligoat's Daytonas, and they are nice, both being redundant since they have a units per hour scale on the bezel and dial. The albino shown above has the black inlaid bezel and bued hands, making just enough of a difference to be perfect.

B)

I have to agree with you there. But, still, the Sub IS real & real trumps franken any day of the week, no matter how ugly it is.

And I have the nagging feeling that I have seen that Sub somewhere before......... :g:

I have to agree with you there. But, still, the Sub IS real, real trumps franken any day of the week, no matter how ugly it is.

And I have the nagging feeling that I have seen that Sub somewhere before......... :g:

Perhaps it's just the Mother Of All Tropical Dials? Maybe what we're seeing here is very, very, verrrrrry, VERY pale brown. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's just the Mother Of All Tropical Dials? Maybe what we're seeing here is very, very, verrrrrry, VERY pale brown. :rolleyes:

The dial face does not bother me (it may have been faded by (natural) heat, sun exposure & time), but the lume (or lack thereof) makes me wonder. Do you see any actual lume on the dial? I do not & that (& the mis-matched handset) is what makes me suspicious.

you know, just because the guy is a respectable gen collector, it doesn't mean that he will not build frankens.

Take for example this guy:

He bought a genuine 12 million dollars ferrari v12 in order to "modify" it to look like a 250 GTO that's worth $25 million dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc6MqgjIVSI