When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Rolex bezels

Nanuq

Has anyone else noticed that Ebay is suddenly awash in unobtainable, premium condition "vintage Rolex bezels"?

I bought one, for a 6538/5510 and it's absolutely magnificent. But it's a smidgen too big for my puny little 6536. It won't click onto my ring, but with enough bends I could probably make the bent spring hold it on there. Better just to resell it.

The question is, where are all these suddenly coming from? I'd immediately guess they're VERY good aftermarkets, but there are two known reputable dealers selling them as gen.

So what's the sudden source?

FWIW mine is non-ferrous, and looks absolutely perfect. I haven't yet taken a gouge at it to see if it is, indeed, plated "white copper".

As for fit- If I recall correct, I think you have a 6536/1, right? It could be possible that your bezel is for a 6536 (no /1) or 6538 (should be the same between these two refs)...

Precisely, it's a 6536/1 and the bezel fits a 6536 or 6538. Drat. Here are some photos from the seller's auction:

post-32-0-34206500-1291763516.jpg

post-32-0-08536800-1291763845.jpg

post-32-0-18349200-1291763695.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I too have been looking for a 6538 bezel and have indeed noticed that 2 potentially reputable suppliers seem to have had an almost inexhaustable supply- I guess the ones you have seen are sheartime...something or another and Chrono......something? one US and one UK, both providing parts which look identical to oneanother in the close up photos.

I must say you seem to be taking it very well the fact that you may have payed top money (they have been selling for between $500 and $1200)for potentially a fake.

As for the quality- it looks OK but not stupendous.... I did try to buy an aftermarket 6538A bezel kit from the watchbandman trading on e-bay as wholesale99.....something. The bezel and insert were beutifull really good looking- nicely polished stainless- unfortunately the insert did not fit into the bezel and the bezel was also incompatible with the watch so I sent it back and just lost the postage charges ($40 or so).

Did you look at ND enterprises? I'm thinking of trying one of there's.

Exactly. Shear-Time and Chronocentric-whatever are the ones I'm watching. Shear-time is a member of IWJG in good standing so he's getting top dollar for his sales. Comparing photos, I have *exactly* the same part as he's selling. So I PM'd him to see if he wants to sell mine and keep anything he can get over my purchase price... no response. Comex-diver111 also has an apparently inexaustible supply of these hitherto unobtainable parts.

I looked at all the readily available aftermarket parts and settled on the one I've got now. But I'd be happy to use this new bezel if the darn thing would fit.

Wanna buy it for your 6538?? I'll let it go for what I paid and I'll cover the shipping. Good quality inserts ought to snap in correctly, as its outer diameter looks the same as my 6536/1 bezel.

I did try to buy an aftermarket 6538A bezel kit from the watchbandman trading on e-bay as wholesale99.....something. The bezel and insert were beutifull really good looking- nicely polished stainless- unfortunately the insert did not fit into the bezel and the bezel was also incompatible with the watch so I sent it back and just lost the postage charges ($40 or so).

Consider yourself lucky. Mr. Slimeball, as he is affectionately known around these parts, is a serial lier/rip-off artist, bordering on criminal. You will find plenty of info on him via the Search.

Consider yourself lucky. Mr. Slimeball, as he is affectionately known around these parts, is a serial lier/rip-off artist, bordering on criminal. You will find plenty of info on him via the Search.

I'll consider myself lucky then.

Do you know of a really good aftermarket bezel supply?

Exactly. Shear-Time and Chronocentric-whatever are the ones I'm watching. Shear-time is a member of IWJG in good standing so he's getting top dollar for his sales. Comparing photos, I have *exactly* the same part as he's selling. So I PM'd him to see if he wants to sell mine and keep anything he can get over my purchase price... no response. Comex-diver111 also has an apparently inexaustible supply of these hitherto unobtainable parts.

I looked at all the readily available aftermarket parts and settled on the one I've got now. But I'd be happy to use this new bezel if the darn thing would fit.

Wanna buy it for your 6538?? I'll let it go for what I paid and I'll cover the shipping. Good quality inserts ought to snap in correctly, as its outer diameter looks the same as my 6536/1 bezel.

I suspect its a bit rich for me, I suffer from short-arms and long-pockets syndrom (which is probably why I've been watching these guys from late summer waiting for the market to drop out of their little scam)- surely someone out there with a 6538 has still got there darned bezel! But I'll bare it in mind and if I weaken, then I'll get back to you and buy yours rather than give these (potentially) profiteers another sale.

What's really annoying is that I know where my bezel is- I dropped it in the selafield Nuclear power station facility- down a grate-----they didn't seem to want to get it back for me.....

How much too big is the bezel? If you were to wrap dental floss between the bezel and mid-case, might that 'take up the slack' enough for it to fit securely?

If only it were that simple. The inner diameter is too big, enough so that there's a big gap between the retaining ring and bezel. If I bent some extreme bumps into my retaining spring it might catch and hold the ring. But I'd be afraid to wear the watch and risk losing the bezel by bumping it.

Wonder if JMB could machine a new retaining ring that's 1mm bigger in outside diameter? Hmmmmmm. But then would the crystal outside diameter be too much smaller than the insert's inside diameter?

If only it were that simple. The inner diameter is too big, enough so that there's a big gap between the retaining ring and bezel. If I bent some extreme bumps into my retaining spring it might catch and hold the ring. But I'd be afraid to wear the watch and risk losing the bezel by bumping it.

Wonder if JMB could machine a new retaining ring that's 1mm bigger in outside diameter? Hmmmmmm. But then would the crystal outside diameter be too much smaller than the insert's inside diameter?

Ahh, I see the problem... Might manufacturing a new retaining spring from higher gauge wire be a possibility? JMB can do wonders with stainless, I'm sure he could work out something to fix things :good: