When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

One of these things is not like the other - part 2

Nanuq

Officially, the 5514 model was designated specifically & (solely) for non-date Subs delivered to Comex. Therefore, if the 3 non-date Subs have (externally) Comex-numbered casebacks, they are 5514s, regardless of the internal stamping of the case/caseback (some were stamped 5513). Otherwise, a 1665 & 16610 (Comex designation makes no difference with either of these models).

I like how comex watches has a tool watch history to it. Do you guys have any comex stories to share or read?

I found some good ones on other forums: makes me want to buy a comex rep... :bangin:

"Hi, i am an ex-Comex diver starting '74 Nigeria (before'65/72 petty officer, clearance /combat diver Belgian Navy ( one training both specialities).Back to the '70 as far as I know no one was interested in Comex watches we just used it like any toll ! .On some riggs two or more of this watches were just kept in a drawer,open to all divers.Since most of dives were conducted and had surface communication assistance (umbilical lone dive,open bell and of course saturation) we really didn't need the watch BUT we had one probably more usefull on the surface than down there ! The importance of number ,5513,5514 or later type was unknow to us ! in fact most of the guys preffered the last new models ! so that's why most of the old divers are no watch experts at all ,certainly not me,but i still have my 5514.Rarety ! yes they are ,i can't remenber how many i've seen lost ? the best one happened when ??? diver surfaced after a short intervention dive , took off his gear ,washed his hands and watch in a bucket and while giving report ......forgot the watch in the bucket and ....YES cleared the dirty soapwater with the Rolex overboard ! one less !! "

"Never forget... these watches are DIE_HARD toolwatches. Used by professionals... who stayed in the most extreme situations.... and where people on a ship.... missions for weeks.... rough/tough people!!! Often EX- MN or SAS or SBS.... in the 70th/80th...

I even know stories of divers smakking the watches against the locker to see if they are strong enough.

ALso don't forget... in the 70/80th these watches where an essential tool!!!! Livesaving! Not as today as they are diving with computers. .....

That made me wonder...... the 5513's are issued from about 1971... the 5514 from when i remember well (pleae correct if wrong) about '74/75...... and the 1665 later... around '76/77....

So why did Comex use the 5513 and 5514 before the 1665.... when we all think the 1665 was developed in 1969 and we see MK3 DRSD's.... from about 1972/73.....

Wh invest in the others then..... was quite a puzzel to me!

Well the answer was simple.... money LOL!..... Comex tested the 1665.. already in the 60th... but most of their work was in depth not deeper then 200 mtr... and there are even papers of SUBMARINERS going on missions deeper then that.....

Simple.... the 1665 was not needed on most of the missions... and therefore to expansive for the main toolwatch. That explains the total of about 1100 5513/5514 against 300 1665...."

I like how comex watches has a tool watch history to it. Do you guys have any comex stories to share or read?

I found some good ones on other forums: makes me want to buy a comex rep... :bangin:

"Hi, i am an ex-Comex diver starting '74 Nigeria (before'65/72 petty officer, clearance /combat diver Belgian Navy ( one training both specialities).Back to the '70 as far as I know no one was interested in Comex watches we just used it like any toll ! .On some riggs two or more of this watches were just kept in a drawer,open to all divers.Since most of dives were conducted and had surface communication assistance (umbilical lone dive,open bell and of course saturation) we really didn't need the watch BUT we had one probably more usefull on the surface than down there ! The importance of number ,5513,5514 or later type was unknow to us ! in fact most of the guys preffered the last new models ! so that's why most of the old divers are no watch experts at all ,certainly not me,but i still have my 5514.Rarety ! yes they are ,i can't remenber how many i've seen lost ? the best one happened when ??? diver surfaced after a short intervention dive , took off his gear ,washed his hands and watch in a bucket and while giving report ......forgot the watch in the bucket and ....YES cleared the dirty soapwater with the Rolex overboard ! one less !! "

"Never forget... these watches are DIE_HARD toolwatches. Used by professionals... who stayed in the most extreme situations.... and where people on a ship.... missions for weeks.... rough/tough people!!! Often EX- MN or SAS or SBS.... in the 70th/80th...

I even know stories of divers smakking the watches against the locker to see if they are strong enough.

ALso don't forget... in the 70/80th these watches where an essential tool!!!! Livesaving! Not as today as they are diving with computers. .....

That made me wonder...... the 5513's are issued from about 1971... the 5514 from when i remember well (pleae correct if wrong) about '74/75...... and the 1665 later... around '76/77....

So why did Comex use the 5513 and 5514 before the 1665.... when we all think the 1665 was developed in 1969 and we see MK3 DRSD's.... from about 1972/73.....

Wh invest in the others then..... was quite a puzzel to me!

Well the answer was simple.... money LOL!..... Comex tested the 1665.. already in the 60th... but most of their work was in depth not deeper then 200 mtr... and there are even papers of SUBMARINERS going on missions deeper then that.....

Simple.... the 1665 was not needed on most of the missions... and therefore to expansive for the main toolwatch. That explains the total of about 1100 5513/5514 against 300 1665...."

Interesting stuff, thanks! :)