When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scots, Please Help Me!

slay

I have been to scotland last week and I have some questions noone could answer me so far (not even the professor who teaches at Fettes College and has an Oxford degree).

Why are the scottish water taps on the sinks so small? You can barely fit your hands under them and its impossible to wash your hands without touching the sink (which I find is very groce!)

Also, why is there always ONE tap for hot water and ONE for cold water? Am I supposed to burn my hands with the hot water tap and then cool 'em off with the cold water tap? That is really weired. Taps have been like that everywhere I was in scotland, at TGI Fridays, at the hotel I stayed, at Mc Donalds, at KFC, everywhere!

Second question, why do pubs close at 1am and clubs at 3am when theres still ppl in there? Is there some kind of law that regulates this? Clubs could open 24/7 in germany if they wanted to.

Third question, why do the cops NOT wear handguns? I have not seen ANY cop with a handgun. What do they do if they see a bank gettin mugged by someone who has a gun? Use their nightstick?

Fourth question, why do scots have to talk with some heavy accent when ppl, who obviously wont understand scottish dialect, talk to them? Especialy when those ppl are asking for directions or other stuff where a lot of detail has to be understood.

I hope some scots here can enlighten me :)

I might be able to help you with a few there slay..

Ok first you need to remember you were in fact in Scotland, so the first one on the taps is obvious, you are suppose to put the plug in and fill the basin so everyone can use it throughout the day.....saves water cost. :)

And the pubs and clubs close early so the staff can stick their hands down the back of all the chairs looking for all the lost coins. :D

Now I'm going to nick of before jtb or Neil turns up :lol:

Ken

Let me get something straight first, I'm NOT Scottish, but some of the questions apply to England too.

I have been to scotland last week and I have some questions noone could answer me so far (not even the professor who teaches at Fettes College and has an Oxford degree).

Why are the scottish water taps on the sinks so small? You can barely fit your hands under them and its impossible to wash your hands without touching the sink (which I find is very groce!)

I have no idea but agree with you about touching the sink. I think I have an OCD on that. :blink:

Also, why is there always ONE tap for hot water and ONE for cold water? Am I supposed to burn my hands with the hot water tap and then cool 'em off with the cold water tap? That is really weired. Taps have been like that everywhere I was in scotland, at TGI Fridays, at the hotel I stayed, at Mc Donalds, at KFC, everywhere!

The 2 separate taps for hot and cold water is the same in most of England too, but at home we have one outlet so it can mix, while at work it is two. Tradition perhaps ? :g:

Second question, why do pubs close at 1am and clubs at 3am when theres still ppl in there? Is there some kind of law that regulates this? Clubs could open 24/7 in germany if they wanted to.

There are licensing laws that mean drinks can't be sold after a certain time. (This may have changed but any new longer licenses still have to be applied for - 24 hour drinking may just be in England.) It doesn't make economic sense to employ people more than an hour or two after last drink sales are made. Normally, pubs last drinks are around 10 or 11pm, and clubs are around 2 or 3am. There are clubs in London that have been open til 5 or 6am but I'm not sure when the drinks stop selling. :o

Third question, why do the cops NOT wear handguns? I have not seen ANY cop with a handgun. What do they do if they see a bank gettin mugged by someone who has a gun? Use their nightstick?

Police in the UK (as far as I know) don't carry handguns. They would have to call in for the special armed unit for a special case. It seems more to be about "intelligence" nowadays. You hardly see police walking on the streets as much, and they are usually in pairs in any case, and would have to radio back I would imagine. And they have truncheons here, not nightsticks. :unsure:

Fourth question, why do scots have to talk with some heavy accent when ppl, who obviously wont understand scottish dialect, talk to them? Especialy when those ppl are asking for directions or other stuff where a lot of detail has to be understood.

They can't talk any other way? Or they're drunk?

Some Scots can be as snobbish as the French about their dialect ;)

I hope some scots here can enlighten me :)

Hope there's no offence in my answering some questions addressed to Scots. Maybe TTK should reply to his best mate Slay :Jumpy:

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :bleh:

I think there are 24 hour licenses for those that want them and apply for them. I don't think many do as staffing costs etc, but maybe on the weekends (or in Scotland) you get more open for longer?

15mm taps are the standard size in the UK for wash hand basins. We also have both formats of duel taps and mixer taps. Duel taps are easier to maintain and less costly to replace.

On a side note, I know Ken was joking but in this country conservation has always been an important issue and I personally don’t see the need for drawing off more quantities than is absolutely necessary especially when we have the best natural water in the world.........bar none.

Clubs need a special entertainments license in order to have extended licensing hours. Obviously they should be providing the entertainment which is stated on the license (disco/caberet ets.)

Ordinary pubs must strictly abide by the opening hours laid done by the local authority and under the national licensing laws.

Only special units of our Police force are armed and are only called upon if the need arises. Ordinary police do not carry guns. I am quite happy that it stays this way. The threat of a ‘Glesca kiss’ usually is a good deterrent.

On another day I might consider this an insult but today I’ll just put it down to ignorance. For example the Argyll accent and dialect is considered by many scholars to be the perfect linguistic vehicle for the spoken English word.

There are many accents and dialects in this fine country of ours and I can only imagine that you are referring to the Glasgow slang.

For more information on Glasgow patter go here:

http://www.rampantscotland.com/parliamo/blparliamo_index.htm

JTB

Yeap. what JTB and Chronus said..

From my personal experience Scottish people are the best (they combine the English tamperament without being 'cold' if you know what I mean) and Edinburgh one of the best cities to live (expensive though)

Because the Scots don't have big clodhopper hands for making sauerkraut and holding large steins of beer....hence the number of Great Scots surgeons and doctors....fine hands for fine work.

Glad to see you managed to recoup some of the costs by eating at some of America's cheapest restuarants on your visit......whilst the purveyors of fine food in Glasgow such as The Buttery / Ubiqitous Chip / Rogano and The 21st Bengal Lancers Club were spared the ordeal of you counting out your pennies on the table......as for hot and cold taps....or mixers......live with it.....we're a hardy lot the Scots......I mean we run thru' fields of thistles with only a skirt for protection....!

You have to KNOW the pubs that stay open 24hrs......and to do that....you need to drag yourself away from Ronnie Macs ....Colonel S.....etc etc.....besides they're a closely guarded secret among the Scots...and we don't pass the secret along to Ethel Mermans.

Why do they need to wear handguns.....I'd rather live in a country with a few gun nuts and few guns.....than a country with a whole load of gun nuts with lots of guns....we're a peaceable nation....except of course at the Old Firm games.....and of course when we're stealing England's goalposts....!

Thick accent.....that's rich coming from an Ethel Merman...we speak to foreigners like that because we take delight in confusing them.....and to distinguish us from the Sassenachs.....besides we're speaking correct English....everyone else's dialect is just a pale pastiche of it.....I mean our friends south of the border insist on pronouncing Cholmondley as Chumley......whilst across the pond..they can't even spell colour properly.....nor pronounce schedule...."skedyool"....!

Many companies nowadays...particularly communications service companies are utilising both Scots and Irish as the ideal dialect for communication over telephone......s'just that the Mumbaians can't quite get to grips wih it yet....!

S'funny how a Scots actor is reckoned to be one of the most attractive and sexiest men in the world.....simply by saying .."shurely shome mishtake Missh Funnyfanny"....! :D

Edited by TTK

One more question for the Scots; why is it there are so many scottish jokes?

click here for Scottish jokes

We are a witty race who have an uncanny ability to find the humour in pretty much anything, no matter how mundane, serious, tragic or just damn pointless.

We like to laugh and by god above the rest of the world provide us with an ample supply of reasons for doing so. We find it easier to get through day with a laugh or two rather than a blabber. Try telling me that this is wrong.

Our world reknowned Edinburgh festival pops out new comedic talent faster than Roger Federer’s tennis ball machine, year in year out.

Some of the worlds funniest men hail from these shores……Chic Murray, Stanley Baxter and Billy Connolly to name only a few.

I could go on with lots of other reasons but I’m sure Neil will chip in with more.

An America poet, E.E. Cummings (I’m sure he’s of Scottish ancestory) put’s it best when he says:

“The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.”

JTB

An America poet, E.E. Cummings (I'm sure he's of Scottish ancestory) put's it best when he says:

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

Excellent quote Jon :D

This is the plaque above the door to my Study...

Simple rules to live by...

126344-20281.jpg

15mm taps are the standard size in the UK for wash hand basins. We also have both formats of duel taps and mixer taps. Duel taps are easier to maintain and less costly to replace.

On a side note, I know Ken was joking but in this country conservation has always been an important issue and I personally don’t see the need for drawing off more quantities than is absolutely necessary especially when we have the best natural water in the world.........bar none.

So you have those small dual taps because they are less expensive? On the other hand a simple big mac menue at mc donalods costs close to 8Euros (whereas it only costs about 4.50Euros in Berlin). And a can of beer costs about 1.5Euros whereas it costs about 50cents in Berlin (both at grocery stores).

Still doesnt answer my question how I could possibly wash my hands with tepid water! As far as I can remember, we never had to replace our duel tap. And I cant think of any reason why it might brake.

From my personal experience Scottish people are the best (they combine the English tamperament without being 'cold' if you know what I mean) and Edinburgh one of the best cities to live (expensive though)

Both of that is true. Very expensive. More expensive than NYC or any other major city (besides London).

Glad to see you managed to recoup some of the costs by eating at some of America's cheapest restuarants on your visit......whilst the purveyors of fine food in Glasgow such as The Buttery / Ubiqitous Chip / Rogano and The 21st Bengal Lancers Club were spared the ordeal of you counting out your pennies on the table......

I'm not Bill Gates, even McDonalds and TGI were f*ckin expensive. Most of the time we cooked ourselves. Other than "America's cheapest restaurants" there was no other place where we could afford eating without spending half of our weeks budget on a single dinner! It was not a trip for fun afterall, we were visiting universities.

Oh and btw. TGI has some tasty cheese burgers! For 5pounds plus 1,75pounds for unlimited refill pepsi, that was an unbeatable deal!

Oh and I did manage to eat something at some scottish restaurant/pub, too. Was more expensive, but did taste pretty good, too. Though I doubt it was a scottish meal, tasted more like italian or so.

On the other hand a simple big mac menue at mc donalods costs close to 8Euros (whereas it only costs about 4.50Euros in Berlin). And a can of beer costs about 1.5Euros whereas it costs about 50cents in Berlin (both at grocery stores).

On the MacD thing we're trying to wean our people off this crap by hiking the prices.

On the beer thing........quality costs just a little more.

;)

JTB

On the beer thing........quality costs just a little more.

JTB

You are telling Slay that the Scottish have better lager than the Germans wich is his homecountry??? If it was whiskey i would agree but now i just laugh (outloud and very hard):D:D

german beer is the best beer in the world. you have a selection of over 6.000 different and good tasting beers overe here.

even in scotland I could buy german beer everywhere. And where there was no german beer, there was budweiser which is NOT american (I'm underling this, because a lot of americans really believe that bud is american!) :)

You are telling Slay that the Scottish have better lager than the Germans wich is his homecountry??? If it was whiskey i would agree but now i just laugh (outloud and very hard):D:D

And when did lager (gnats [censored]) ever become a beer. Educate yourself man!!!

JTB

I could be here all day but to save you and me the bother, go here:

JTB

I really like patriotic and chauvenistic people. It shows they are proud of there country. The only problem with those people is they loose all contact with reality. :D

Actually JTB, they've got a point about the beer. The very thing that makes our water so good for just about everything else (washing/whisky/putting in your iron/car battery etc.) is the thing that makes it utterly crap for beer making ie. lacking the minerals to create a decent natural fizz.

Most Scottish breweries actually add a small quantity of plaster to the water to make up for it (filtering out the gritty bits before kegging it of course).

I got a dose of the skits just looking at that site...

Actually JTB, they've got a point about the beer. The very thing that makes our water so good for just about everything else (washing/whisky/putting in your iron/car battery etc.) is the thing that makes it utterly crap for beer making ie. lacking the minerals to create a decent natural fizz.

Most Scottish breweries actually add a small quantity of plaster to the water to make up for it (filtering out the gritty bits before kegging it of course).

Point taken if you like fizz and barfing all night............me I don't so I stay away from fizzy beers and lagers.

Strangely enough I drink Oirish and the occasional Scottish Real Ale like Greenmantle or some of the Bellhavens...............so I fart all night instead!

JTB

PS - I used to frequent this little hostelry on a regular basis:

http://glasgow.openguide.co.uk/wiki/Bon_Accord