When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 360 DLC - First View Of My New DLC Service

rolli

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at some photos of the gen, the coating seems to be dark grey. Wonder how they did that since most of the PVD or DLC coated watches are black?!

Cheers,

Catalin

Just depends on the light the pic is taken in. Here's mine and another in both sunny, overcast light and indoors.

360dd.jpg

360a.jpg

360dial02.jpg

tree60f.jpg

RPcomparo01.jpg

Last 2 pics of a gen 360 next to a rep Rad that was recently DLC coated (in the US). I'd say it's a good match!!!

dlccomparo02.jpg

dlccomparo01.jpg

your thought is wrong.

some companies offer dlc coating - pure carbon coating

and some companies offer dlc coating - carbon coating mixed with tungsten.

pure carbon is more dark pencil graphite,

carbon with tungsten is more grey graphite.

depending on the application is both requested.

note: dlc coating is an industry standard and not made for watches.

watches are a byproduct.

rolli

Am I the only one that thinks this is too dark?, it should have a pencil lead look, grayish tone to it. Look at B's Gen!

You still didn't answer my question Roli,

You just mentioned the different processes, which doesn't clarify anything, the fact of the matter is that your DLC coating is too dark, looks more PVD, don't mean to thread crap here, just wish you could do the different process to make it look grayish and truer to gen, otherwise it just looks very similar to DSN just in DLC instead of PVD, and when side to side with gen, you will see a big difference, and in my circle of friends, there are 3 gen 360's, so that is not an option. Just look at Bob's pictures to realize that, the radiomir is spot on, please don't take this personal, trying to make you offer a better product. After all, that is why you posted here correct? ;)

I think the lighting has a lot to do with the DLC color. In photos it can vary from dark black to pencil gray. In person the DLC is more grayish I have had both DLC and PVD gens and the PVD was definitely darker. IMHO - having owned both the DLC is far superior - not even a contest... I am going to have a PAM case DLC'd for me soon :)

Here is a pic of one of my gen DLCs - looks very black here in this light:

IMG_5085.jpg

Looks pencil lead gray here:

IMG_4998.jpg

as i have already stated,

this DLC coating here is a pure carbone dlc coating, and not mixed with tungsten.

this company used the pure carbone DLC coating only for watches and for medical instruments.

other companies use the dlc coating = carbone mixed with tungsten for medical parts and tools and also for dental implants

and many other parts.

the dlc coating mixed with tungsten has a grey graphit color.

with the next pam case i will use the dlc coating with carbone / tungsten, then we see the color difference.

note: only these both dlc coatings are on market.

rolli

You still didn't answer my question Roli,

You just mentioned the different processes, which doesn't clarify anything, the fact of the matter is that your DLC coating is too dark, looks more PVD, don't mean to thread crap here, just wish you could do the different process to make it look grayish and truer to gen, otherwise it just looks very similar to DSN just in DLC instead of PVD, and when side to side with gen, you will see a big difference, and in my circle of friends, there are 3 gen 360's, so that is not an option. Just look at Bob's pictures to realize that, the radiomir is spot on, please don't take this personal, trying to make you offer a better product. After all, that is why you posted here correct? ;)

kimerathon, you can achieve the pencil lead color with a light Cape Cod polishing of the DLC'd parts prior to reassembly if desired. It's very hard to evaluate the need for this by simply looking at pics, though. As pointed out, PVD and DLC always looks different under different lighting conditions.

Very nice results, Mr. Rolli!