When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches that grew on you

kramerica2

Talking from looks perspective only (meaning not concerning issues like brand, movement, history, etc..), there are some watches that most people like instantly: PO, SOSF, Daytona and pretty much most Rolex, Omega and Breitling watches. It's a beautiful design, not very unique (doesn't necessarily mean simple), and 99/100 people on the street would like it.

Then you got the watches that you somehow learn to like. Most people won't like them at first glance, but after some experience with watches, like good whiskey, they suddenly look pretty good, and after a while they even seem like the best looking watches out there.

It happened to me with PAMs, APs and to a lesser extent IWC.

I remember when I came upon RWG for the first time, looking for a PO. It was the first time I'd truly noticed PAMs and APs. They looked odd, I would even say ugly. What's the deal with the unproportional CG on those PAMs? How can anybody relate to the octagonal shape of those APs? And people are paying for them much more than for Omegas and Breitlings? What's wrong with this community? :winkiss:

But then you start getting into watches, you're entering ADs to see the gens, and you start to admire the weird design. It doesn't take very long, and you're even considering getting one of these all-of-a-sudden beauties..

Two years ago, I wouldn't believe myself writing here that my next watch would be a PAM 288, and an APROO would be the next.

Thoughts? Did you have a similar ride?

This is an interesting post. Watches can often be like works of art. At first you don't know what to think, but in time you become more intrigued. Panerai is by far the watch brand that has grown on me since first seeing them. What began as a curiosity

became damn near an obsession. No doubt many in this forum are in the same boat. Nothing wrong with that as we all sail into the sunset on the SS Panerai !B)

Been awhile since I was here.

Edited by hambone

Funnily enough I am the opposite to your initial assumptions.

I loved PAMs from the first time I saw one back in the 90s in fact its what got me interested in watches !!

The watch which I had a real dislike for was the Rolex (maybe that was more about the snobbery that comes with it in a lot of peoples eyes/minds) but that has grown on me since my interest grew. The other is the square looking watches B&R or the LTs I think look great and wear well on my wrist.

The other watch that has grown on me recently is the Rad, I really didnt like these in fact I dont think I like them now but I really enjoy wearing the one I have !!

Though having said all that I dont dislike any watch as a watch only its look and how it feels for me to wear it. I really like the Tourbillon movement in any watch but I would never wear one gen or rep but I really appreciate the design and principle of an addition like that to a watch's escapement. If fact any complication can get me drooling but not necessarily wearing or wanting to wear !! ;)

Nice post mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think it has to be the IWC ingy, there were rave revuies when i first came out and i was like "Hmmm not bad" I thought it was smaller that it actualy is, after a while i decided too give it a go and got a Lello date wheel, wheel the day the watch arrived i was ready to give it ago, I was driving to Bavaria that weekend and took this photo

DSC00032.jpg

Than it grew on me so much i bought the gen, it was a love affair that took me round the world, or i took it round the world and to all situations

and inspired me to write this post and the Gen rep comparison in my sig

This is an interesting post. Watches can often be like works of art. At first you don't know what to think, but in time you become more intrigued. Panerai is by far the watch brand that has grown on me since first seeing them. What began as a curiosity

became damn near an obsession. No doubt many in this forum are in the same boat. Nothing wrong with that as we all sail into the sunset on the SS Panerai !B)

Been awhile since I was here.

+1...and Hey! Good to see you around, Hammie!

I had a hard time with the Rolex for the "attention factor"...."wow Is that a Rolex"? Lets face It,no other watch brand comes close when It comes to "brand recogniton". I finally broke down and purchased a DSSD from a member here about three monthes ago. I have to admit that I wear the watch quite offten,I find It very well ballanced on the wrist. I also like the fact that It's diver,I love divers. I honestly thought I would never be seen with a Rolex on my wrist,never say never. :pardon:

For me the most evident example is a plain 16610 Submariner.

I never understood all the fuss, for me only a 16520/116520 Daytona had that "something" in whole Rolex line of watches.

But now when I have a nice V3 16610 with gen insert, crystal and crown I have to honestly say I love it and wear it way more often than a gen 116520 Daytona that I was lucky to aquire this year!

When I first came to the boards, it was Panerai that I didn't quite get. I ordered a cheap asian one to wear to see what the fuss was about and instantly fell in love witht he design and style.

I agree with Andy on the Ingineur. I got one because it was such a great replication but wasn't sold on the look. it is now a staple in my rotation

When I first came to the boards, it was Panerai that I didn't quite get. I ordered a cheap asian one to wear to see what the fuss was about and instantly fell in love witht he design and style.

I agree with Andy on the Ingineur. I got one because it was such a great replication but wasn't sold on the look. it is now a staple in my rotation

I did not realize you liked Pams so much,strange :D

I think that people's tastes change over time, as they grow older, more mature, whatever. And sometimes the wheel goes around and the next thing you know, you are right back where you started. I started off my serious watch career in the late 1960's with Rolex, first one was and Airking, then a datejust and a no date sub, probably a 5512 or 5513 can't remember. I didn't like it at all, because of not having a date function, so I swapped it for a 1680, then a 1665, another couple of 1680's a Daytona ( didn't like it either, as I couldn't get used to no date and manual wind) Swapped it for another 1680 and finally a 16610 in the mid 80's. I sold that one and didn't own another Rolex for almost 20 years. Didn't like them at all!! bought a bunch of different chronos (IWC, Breitling, Complications like Maurice Lacroix and Ulysse Nardin GMT's) I suppose these were my "Gadget " years, the more buttons, subdials, etc. the better, but over the years, none of these really "sang to me".I discovered Replicas and got into Rolex vintage, sort of like going back to my youth!! Then a couple of genuine Rolex , and now a mix of genuine and Modded rep Rolex, and that's pretty much all I wear. I've got a genuine Gold IWC Calatrava for formal wear, and a box of genuine dive watches from various makers, but day in and day out I wear my Rolex watches and I'm very happy and content with them.

So to all you younger fellows out there, don't be surprised if over time you move from what you like now, to something you can't stand now, and maybe like me, it will come full circle and you will end up with what you started with.

I'd have to say I find myself liking things a bit more flashy then when I was first learning about them. The 2 watches I drooled over for years were the understated and classy Navitimer, and the Tag Steve Mcqueen "lemans" Monaco. I bought a rep Navi, and love it. It's my everyday watch. I've gotten great compliments on it, including my boss at work saying to one of our coworkers, with me in the room:

" Man, that's a pimp watch. It's a Breitling. You know what that is, right? I'm gonna shank him in the parking lot after work , and steal his watch." thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I find myself drifting more towards the Hublot, APROO, and the 45.5 PO currently, with the PO likely being my next by.

I'd have to say I find myself liking things a bit more flashy then when I was first learning about them. The 2 watches I drooled over for years were the understated and classy Navitimer, and the Tag Steve Mcqueen "lemans" Monaco. I bought a rep Navi, and love it. It's my everyday watch. I've gotten great compliments on it, including my boss at work saying to one of our coworkers, with me in the room:

" Man, that's a pimp watch. It's a Breitling. You know what that is, right? I'm gonna shank him in the parking lot after work , and steal his watch." thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I find myself drifting more towards the Hublot, APROO, and the 45.5 PO currently, with the PO likely being my next by.

I always hated Rolex but now I've got a few in the box, I love them lol They just seem to be a good size, classic design, and the 2010 Explorer 1 can be smart, smart-casual, casual, bumming around, dressed for dinner... :)

PAMs are something else that are growing on me. I really didn't 'get' them but the 47mm versions are something that I'm getting into more and more!

When I first got into this mess I disliked anything that didn't have crown guards and preferred Sub size watches with dates. I now prefer, and wear 90% of the time, watches without CGs, in the 34 - 36 mm size, and have come to appreciate the cleanliness and simplicity of no-date versions. I've pretty much did a 180...