When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to adjudt a filded links bracelet?

prdubis

You have to carefully unfold mid-links, remove link, and re-fold/crimp mid-link. I've done a couple but although they don't look too bad I can still tell I have farkled with the link. Thankfully it's on the bottom-side of wrist... :whistling:

If the clasp does not provide sufficient adjustment (you should always try the clasp 1st since it is made to be adjusted), you have 2 options - take the bracelet to a Rolex watchmaker who has the tools, parts & experience to do the job correctly, or unbend the underside leaves of 2 links, remove/add links as necessary, & rebend the 2 original links back. Rolex used to have a special tool to perform this operation, but very few watchmakers still have them. In many cases, you can achieve more or less 'acceptable' results with a flat blade/screwdriver, but the work also tends to leave the exterior of the bended links warped/crumpled. I have attempted this twice & the links' external surfaces were left in a less than perfect state in both instances.

I watched "my" watchmaker do this on my bracelet, and it wasn't for the faint hearted. Mostly because of the sheer quantity of filth, dirt, and skin that came out of the links!

Seriously, it looked pretty awkward, and though he didn't have the tool for it, he made a fantastic job on mine. In fact, the two new (well, from the remains of another bracelet) links he put in look better than some of the other links. But he is a very painstaking kind of guy.

Another thing to be aware of is that if you need to insert a link, you need one of the correct width.

If the clasp does not provide sufficient adjustment (you should always try the clasp 1st since it is made to be adjusted), you have 2 options - take the bracelet to a Rolex watchmaker who has the tools, parts & experience to do the job correctly, or unbend the underside leaves of 2 links, remove/add links as necessary, & rebend the 2 original links back. Rolex used to have a special tool to perform this operation, but very few watchmakers still have them. In many cases, you can achieve more or less 'acceptable' results with a flat blade/screwdriver, but the work also tends to leave the exterior of the bended links warped/crumpled. I have attempted this twice & the links' external surfaces were left in a less than perfect state in both instances.

well explained, I experimented the same.

Someone in a shop told me than, in fact, Rolex shops/AD watchsmithes had spare middle links, brand new, but with open leaves ready to put in place and close without visible damage on the exterior face. As the exterior visible slight distorsion starts when you open the leaves

Its not that hard to do. Just use a case knife or a flat head screwdriver. Just open the underside of the link, just enough to allow it to slide out from under the bars. The more you open it, the more it may warp the outside, so when you reclose it, you may see some distortion. On a flat surface, carefully press it closed again. At least if the links do get distorted, then it will be only one or two links on the bottom of the wrist.

Either that or take it to a watchmaker and watch him mess it up for you lol. I doubt a Rolex watchmaker with the correct tools is going to adjust it for you if its a fake bracelet.

dizz