When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine crown and tube for noobmariner

hebrewhammer

The noob has come a long way- it's been out almost 5 years now! The crown and tube should be good replicas of the gen assembly- they are on my SSD V2 which also comes from the noobfactory. So then, is it worth it to change? Maybe you just change out the crown which is a 5 minute operation. Or you just trim the crown guards and go on. First up, buy a used 24-703 crown and remove the stem and crown on your noob and see how the gen crown screws on the rep tube- if you like it, swap over the stem and away you go.

Changing out the tube is more involved, remove old tube, tap hole with 3.0mm x .35 tap, maybe chamfer the case to seat tube at proper depth, install with loc-tite. It's not hard but it takes some practice and experience, plus a few tools- tap and a case tube wrench. Also, I typically use an aftermarket tube and a used gen crown just because it's easier and cheaper to get the AM tubes.

The noob has come a long way- it's been out almost 5 years now! The crown and tube should be good replicas of the gen assembly- they are on my SSD V2 which also comes from the noobfactory. So then, is it worth it to change? Maybe you just change out the crown which is a 5 minute operation. Or you just trim the crown guards and go on. First up, buy a used 24-703 crown and remove the stem and crown on your noob and see how the gen crown screws on the rep tube- if you like it, swap over the stem and away you go.

Changing out the tube is more involved, remove old tube, tap hole with 3.0mm x .35 tap, maybe chamfer the case to seat tube at proper depth, install with loc-tite. It's not hard but it takes some practice and experience, plus a few tools- tap and a case tube wrench. Also, I typically use an aftermarket tube and a used gen crown just because it's easier and cheaper to get the AM tubes.

Thanks alot,this was just the kind of information I was looking for. I know trimming the crownguards is necessary which is why I figured I would try and do things right with a genuine crown while I have it apart anyway. I would have never thought of an aftermarket tube, thanks for that if it comes to that. I'm gonna go ahead and try and purchase just a crown and see if I can make due with that for now.

I put a gen crown on my Noobfactory SSD 16600, so if the newer Noob subs have the same tube then you can screw the gen crown right on. Not sure if the rep tube will be water resistant or not. If you are going to swim with it, then I would install a Rolex tube, or proper aftermarket one as well.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hope someone figured this out yet :-) is there a hand tool that can countersink the noob case to fit the gen type tube at proper hight? Also, what sort of handle do you guys use to run the tap through the threads? Cheers :-)

%21B%29Q1QkwCGk%7E$%28KGrHqUOKicEwRUSFuCqBMMvEnO5i%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

Hope someone figured this out yet :-) is there a hand tool that can countersink the noob case to fit the gen type tube at proper hight? Also, what sort of handle do you guys use to run the tap through the threads? Cheers :-)

%21B%29Q1QkwCGk%7E$%28KGrHqUOKicEwRUSFuCqBMMvEnO5i%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

You can countersink the hole with a drill bit- i.e. chamfer the hole, so the case tube will sit deeper in the case. To turn the tap, there's a wrench that comes with a set of taps, just use that

http://www.best-price.com/product/21914-economy-tap-and-reamer-wrench-0-through-1-2-inch-taps/765321858/1/

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much guys. I ordered a small 4 inches tap wrench ( handle). hope it will arrive soon. Can I just ask about this countersinking operation? Can it be done with some hand tool or a dremel or i should have some other type of tool for that? What is the size of countersink bit required for the operation?