When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why do you wear a AP?

FDG

Hi all,

For some time I have been wondering, why do people wear a rep AP ROO? It is so obvious to spot the fakes, due to the chronopushers and crown. The first thing I look at when I see is the chronopushers and crown line.

How do you feel about this? Has anyone ever spotted your rep AP ROO?

Obvious to spot the fakes?! Are you thinking that all the world knows the AP brand? Maybe 0.0000000000000001% of humans are able to see the differences between a sec@12 rep from a gen.

If the chronopushers and crown "issues" bother you, then stay way from AP reps and just save $16.000 to buy a gen.

Friends, I want a AP ROO, but since for me it is so easy to spot gen and rep AP ROO, I was wondering what the opinions and experiences are :)

Also, if I want a sec@12 what is the most important thing? Let the movement be serviced right away? Also, I saw some AP with big pushers instead of the normal chrono pushers, would these pushers be on 1 straight line with the crown? I Believe it was the Ruben Barachello

Just follow 1976 words and enjoy your rep. However I suggest you to perform some mods before to wear them (service + gear modification + double AR). Here are my modded APs:

post-6192-0-00634600-1295553722.jpg

Mods on the Volcano:

- watch bought from Mary

- The Zigmeisters service

- The Zigmeisters orange lume

- Chiefs double AR

- HKtan hornback leather strap

- Ebay butterfly deployment

Mods on the Grey Themes:

- watch bought from Andrew

- Franciscos service

- Franciscos gear mod

- Uwe double AR

- HKtan hornback leather strap

- Ebay butterfly deployment

I'm waiting Uwes AR cyclops to complete all the mods on my reps.

Edited by fitipaldi

Just follow 1976 words and enjoy your rep. However I suggest you to perform some mods before to wear them (service + gear modification + double AR). Here are my modded APs:

post-6192-0-00634600-1295553722.jpg

Frig, I'm waiting on 3 watches and now you got me hot and bothered for 2 more APs. I want both of these exactly like yours!

Hi all,

For some time I have been wondering, why do people wear a rep AP ROO? It is so obvious to spot the fakes, due to the chronopushers and crown. The first thing I look at when I see is the chronopushers and crown line.

How do you feel about this? Has anyone ever spotted your rep AP ROO?

um yeah.. Of course its easy when you're looking at 5x magnified macroshots like we're accustomed to on the forum.... From my experience in the real world.. unless you stop and physically ask someone to see there watch closely, most of the time you're NEVER close enough to tell when a gen is a gen or a "good" rep.

But I guess you have eagle eyes then??? haha

lastly... you say it's "SO" easy for you to spot a rep AP but why are you asking about it's flaws??

Not sure I'm getting the point of this post despite all the great eye-candy. (thanx fiti and 1976)

I interpret your question as the following: "Why do you guys wear AP's when they have so many flaw"...

But this question could be asked about any brand since no rep is EVER 100% :g:

My question was aimed at the obvious straight line in the chronopushers and crown. For me, if I see a straight line in that, it is 99% sure a rep. So in that case I wondered, why wear a AP? Since I really want an AP but am a bit hesitatefull.

But thanks for the input and pictures, you convinced me to get an AP, I think I start with a AP Diver, and then later on a sec@12 or should I just start with a sec@12?

You've gotta go for it! I had to let mine go because of an unfortunate event with a seller but I wish I still had it. No worries FDG, most people will never be able to tell ;) unless of course you're around someone from the forum .. which in that case.... they still might not notice! Maybe I read your question wrong. It just sounded a bit contrived at first glance :black_eye: but I get what you mean.

To me the more obvious flaw lies in one's lifestyle. AP's are some of the most expensive across the board watches and generally start around the 13,000-15,000usd mark. If your around people that know the brand.. well.. ya know! :) It didn't stop me from getting one, and I'm sure I'll have a Grey themes or black themes by the end of the 2011!! (at least i hope). What do you have in your sights?????

I do understand FDG's question. Compared to a highly modded Panerai the AP's are way off. In fairness the AP's are far more complex, gen parts are both scarce and difficult to fit and so that is the price we pay. On the metrics by which we measure simpler brands the AP fails in every category - bezel articulates differently, cg's somewhat off, case back way too fat, no offset pushers and misplaced date. For many other commonly repped brands it would be a bust.

Having said all that, it is a wonderful rep and the way to go if you want an AP and aren't spending $3.5k on a Franken or $15k on a gen.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the aesthetics of the ROO pleasing in an overall way; the fact that the crown and pushers are a mm or so out of alignment, or that the date is 0.5mm too far to the right doesn't detract from the overall look, the textures or the way the light reflects off the beautifully alternating polished and brushed surfaces.

Also, considering the fact that a rep is one thirtieth to one sixtieth the price of a gen, I think we're getting a fantastically good deal. I buy my watches for my own enjoyment, not to try to impress others; if some people notice my watch, that's great. If they don't, no loss.

I love AP´s since 1992.....and there was no rep ahead in those days.

I have gen watches and I have rep watches.....and I won´t pass my rep´s as gen´s...so I don´t care if someone might "spot" it....I even had people looking at my wrist wearing a gen Breitling or gen Panerai and they said "ah, nice fake, where you got it?".

So anyway, it´s all on you and how you feel about a rep....would you like to be a "chain-blinger" or a "watch-lover"?

....and just a word on the chrono-pusher-crown-line.....the rep sec@12 are not on one line, the pusher are a tiny bit higher :victory:

Cheers mate, get a nice ROO and enjoy it,

Theo

...on the other hand, you are so picky about the details of the watch, it may be impossible for you to wear with the flaws rolling around in your head and wondering if someone will notice... I say save for a gen or get a rep with no flaws :victory:

you will not be happy with the watch, you always will see the flaws, save your money for a gen. I love all of my APs, great watches and when I wear them, nobody will see anything, because nobody knows. But you know it, and that will drive you crazy.

The average Joe on the street has never seen or heard of Audemars Piguet,let alone no how to pronounce the name. Im pretty sure I still dont say It right :lol: The only time this becomes a Issue Is on rep forums. Buy one and wear It for a while,Im sure you will agree :)

I'm not too big a fan of the rep ROO's, a bit too thick for my 6.75 wrist.

But I love the jumbo AP RO. At a thin 9mm x 40 mm case, the classic Genta design

is as nice a watch one could wear.

The new gen 43mm Diver is a classic sport watch, and when the rep catches up with the

gen design, it will be a great watch.

The sleeper in the mix is the currently available rep of the Wempe Scuba. A limited edition

gen of only 175 pieces. 40(+) mm and only 13mm thick on a rubber strap. A beautiful case and dial.

AP is one of the most classic watches on the planet.

Edited by jeff g