When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New additions to the Herd

panerai153

I recently thinned out a few watches that never saw the light of day, as well as my WM9/BK 166610. I had a couple of purchases in mind, one was an older genuine submariner. I was looking for something that had drilled springbar holes, but since it was my daily wearer, I decided that I would prefer a 16610, over a 16800. Although I really like my vintage Rolex watches, having one with a newer movement and superluminova seemed like the best route. I was able to find a nice "P" serial model from 2000, sort of a millennium watch.

My second watch was something to replace the WM9 SD project which I have totally given up on. I won't go into that,except to say that what WM9/George did in my opinion was criminal, unless he was arrested and is in jail, or is no longer on this earth, either of those eventualities would take the project out of his control. At any rate, i have been looking, rather casually, for a nice SD to fill in for the "disappeared" WM9. Last week one appeared on the sales forum. Pretty much modded to the max, and fairly reasonable considering the amount of genuine parts that were used.

SSD case with working HEV

Gen dial

Gen bezel insert

Gen tube and crown

ETA 2836-2

SSD bracelet with one half gen with correct 93160A stampings

I picked it up yesterday, and frankly I was pretty impressed, although it still needs a little "Fine tuning" which I will probably get done later this year. After you see the photos, I think you might be able to see the things that need to be done, although one or both are hard to see from the angle of the photos. the two things that need attention are the datewheel centering, its a little off and the top of the numbers are almost even with the top of the window. I believe that the dial is a tiny bit rotated clockwise which could account for the date being off. It's not much, but it's there. the second are the hands. The genuine dial indicies have more glow than the hands. Here again, it isn't much, but it is apparent after the watch sits in the dark for a while. Also someone mentioned in the sales thread that the pearl looked like it was tritium. It probably is, because the glow isn't as bright as the lumi pearl on the Sub. No problem there, I have a genuine lumi insert i bought for the WM9 SD, so that will probably go on as well.

Another thing that I wanted to demonstrate here with the photos of the 16610 was the correct crown position on the genuine, as well as the difference in color between the 904 steel used in the Rolex and the whatever number steel in the rep SSD. It's pretty hard to describe, but I can promise you when you hold the genuine next to a rep, you can tell. Pardon the photos, I did these in a hurry tonight,and they aren't the best.

First photos are side by sides of the 16610 and the SSD

16610-P.jpg

16610-P-15.jpg

16610-P-4.jpg

16610-P-14.jpg

16610-P-16.jpg

The "P" serial 16610. Looks pretty good for a 10-11 year old watch

16610-P-8.jpg

16610-P-11.jpg

16610-P-10.jpg

16610-P-9.jpg

And now a few SSD photos

16610-P-13.jpg

16610-P-12.jpg

Good choice on going the gen route for the 16610. Crown position and 904L steel is the least of the problems for any rep 16610. The biggest tells for reps, IMO, would be the bezel teeth shape and sharpness, the lume application, and the dial fonts (with a loupe). ALso, no rep can ever replicate the insert/pearl or the crown for some reason. Still, good job on that sea dweller.

Edited by praetor

The SSD used 316L which is bright and white like the Breitlings. With the 904 stainless, it has more nickle content to combat corosion I believe. Some people cant even wear the newer Rolex watches because of nickle alergies from the higher percentage of nickle in the mix. But yes they are two different colors of metal. Stainless steel will vary from almost a brownish to white to blue looking depending on the type used. I prefer the good old 316L stainless as I like the bright white color.

With the 904 stainless, it has more nickle content to combat corosion I believe. Some people cant even wear the newer Rolex watches because of nickle alergies from the higher percentage of nickle in the mix.

I'm one of those folks... 904 causes irritation to my skin if I wear it for more than a day or two.

I'm one of those folks... 904 causes irritation to my skin if I wear it for more than a day or two.

Send all of those darn 904 's to me by all means. i will replace every one with a nice guaranteed Hypoallergenic Timex (Timex is close to Rolex right? ) Rolex,Polex,Timex, I just can't keep all those apart!!