When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

El Primero watches, Picked up a gen Tag Link!

Mickey Padge

Hello fwellow RWG'ers! I am thinking of buying an El Primero based watch, and wondered what choice there is out there? :)

I prefer a more sporty look, and the Tag Link caught my eye, but seems impossible to find, anyone know what brands use this sweet movement, aside from Zenith? I am looking at the pre owned market, but seem to be having very little luck in finding anything.....

Also, just in case, are there any RWG members who would like to sell a Primero based watch? As that would be ideal, as this community feels so much safer than other online forums!

EDIT:

A fellow member was kind enough to point out the sale of a Tag Link Calibre 36 watch, and I was lucky enough to buy it! Thanks very much dvn for that! :)

It is a lovely watch, I am so happy with it! I re-finished the bezel to a mirror polished finish (original owner brushed it), and re-brushed the entire case/bracelet. The outer AR coating was pretty messed up, so I removed it. The white dial does not really need double AR, single is fine. If anything the AR scratches were distracting from the simple, pure white dial. I snapped some quick pictures, what do you guys think?

dsc03965.th.jpgdsc03968f.th.jpgdsc03969w.th.jpg

dsc03970wh.th.jpgdsc03974ke.th.jpgdsc03976k.th.jpg

dsc03968ae.jpg

The watch looks almost new, the AR inside the crystal is very effective, the dial still really "pops" out at you, such a comfortable watch too! The chronograph runs butter smooth, you can hardly see the ticks! B)

I think I got a great deal, the box and papers were included, and the recent full service is still holding a four and a half year guarantee, I would just need to send it back to Canada :)

Comments and observations welcome!

Ubi, both watches in your sig are powered by el primero? I understand its requirement for subdial spacing, but I dont understand how the movement works in both with the different pusher locations on the case. What am I missing?

Both watches are not powered by an El Primero ... the Daytona is a Valjoux 72 based watch (Rolex 727).

The EP400's have always seemed to be the least expensive in Movado's when I have been looking for them. And Defender is correct, you have to be careful to get the proper movement in the Ebels.

Edited by tomhorn

Got it. Thanks Tom, and thanks ubi for the visuals. By the way, I've been wearing my coveted Ubi Nardin for almost an entire week (I usually switch quite often throughout the week). If the mailman is good to me tomorrow, the cycle might finally get broken.

/thread jacking- sorry MP!

I dunno how you feel about vintage, but I love these:

ZENITH-EL-PRIMERO-1971-VERY-LIMITED-GREAT-CONDITION

MOVADO-ZENITH-EARLY-EL-PRIMERO-CHRONOGRAPH-BIG-BLUE

As a side note- Holy bajeebees! I used this particular Movado/EP 3019 to build my (now watchmeister's) 16520!

Datron

$4300?! I think I paid $1200 for mine...

IMG_3609.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

Calibre 36 is pretty damn nice.

Greatest Link out there. I wouldn't mind owning one, either.

I really like Chief's suggestion too. Flyback Rainbow is great.

I'm a big Ebel 1911 fan so I'd probably buy this:

1274633565_95639644_3-MENS-SS-18K-GOLD-EBEL-1911-CHRONOGRAPH-Ref1137L40-Jewelry-Watches-1274633565.jpg

Thanks for the link, I will send him a message :)

[/quote

i had the same watch for few years until i sold it, had bought it new for 2,5keur at ad, half price.

its a very nice watch, better than usual tag heuer quality, but i think u could possibly find for cheaper than that timezone seller.(if i remember right, they were going for less in ebay)