When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken 1675 pre-assembly

usmctowgnr

My jorney is finally coming to an end........ I have finally aquired all the parts that I need to complete my build. I am still waiting on a few to get here in the mail but the search is over. I will post pics of all the parts that I will be using for the build.

First up is a gen case. Dated to early 70's with non pcg. I did not want to build a Cornino due to the fact that in reality if I were to own a PCG 1675 it would not see to much wrist time. I am building this to wear it and enjoy. This case came under some scrutiny after I had posted some picture here due to some corrosion on the caseback. However I was able to obtain it for a price that I felt was to good to pass up. I have located a few gen casebacks to use in the event that the corrosion proves to be to much. The "stuff" on the case itself was just some dried glue that was removed. The crystal, tube, and crown are all original to the case.

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

The second part of the build is a gen dial that I picked up and is what started the whole journey for the build. The dial is matte and is correct for a non pcg case. I think it is good overall condition and I am happy with the patina.

2011-01-28_17-13-02_778.jpg

2011-01-28_17-14-04_156.jpg

2011-01-28_17-14-39_17.jpg

2011-01-28_17-14-51_185.jpg

Here is the movement that is going to power the project. This is what I had the biggest problem figuring out. I really did not want to use an a21 2813 movement in a project that I have invested a good deal of money in. In reading through other members builds I came across chiman12's project. He used the Zodiac 75B movement which is a true GMT movement that has a bph closer to gen. The thing that sold me about the movement though is the fact that this movement will accept a gen GMT hand and date wheel. I was able to source a serviced movement for an online retailer in India. I found a gen tritium GMT hand on VRF, that has the correct patina to match the dial being used. Once again staying with period correctness on the watch I went with the large hand as that is what is appropriate for a matte dial non pcg watch. I also found a gen silver date wheel with flat top 3, and open 6 / 9 that hopefully will work with the movement. For the hour, min, sec hands I plan on using Clark, Yuki, or Wholesaleoutlet, and have them aged to match gen GMT and dial.

Zodiac75B.jpg

GMThand.jpg

DatewheelFront.jpg

DateWheelback.jpg

Next up is the bezel and insert. The bezel assembly was purchased from wholesaleoutlet and included the retaining ring. The bezel itself I will have aged to match the finish of the case. The pepsi bezel pictured will not be used as I am planning on using will be a gen faded black one that I picked up on rolexforums. I am actually thinking of sourcing a gen faded pepsi insert and selling the black one as in my mind the pepsi is what makes a 1675 a 1675.

WholesaleOutletBezel.jpg

2011-02-04_12-57-03_163.jpg

2011-02-04_12-57-14_285.jpg

The final part is the bracelet. I found a gen 62510H Jubilee bracelt with 555 end pieces. Idealy I think that the end pieces should be 550 but the 555 will work. The bracelet is dated to the same period as the case and bracelet.

62510HJubilee.jpg

62510HJubilee2.jpg

62510HJubilee3.jpg

In closing I would like to thank everyone that helped me out with information and advice on this build. It has proven to be much more involved than I originally had expected when I bought the gen dial and decided to complete the build. Hopefully the hard part of sourcing parts is over and the assembly process goes fairly easy. I am not holding my breath though, lol. From a monetary stand point I have invested more than I originally planned. I do feel that it is an amount that I could recoup, however the watch would probably have to be stripped and parts sold as their value is probably greater than the whole. I hate to think about it as I have much invested in the build but a gen 1675 is in my future!

usmc...to clarify, you cannot directly swap the 75B with a gen, it will have to use it as an overlay, but the 75B date direction flips the same way as the 1675, so you'll have no issues using a genspec datewheel as an overlay. The GMT hand you can use genspec (needs to be broached a tiny bit)...but the hour/minute/sec hands will have to be ETA spec.

BTW...you have a nice list of parts there and GL with the build!:thumbsupsmileyanim:

All things considered, I would have gone with a gen movement, but (assuming the dial/hands/datewheel fit the movement) what you have looks good so far

I would have much rather had a gen movement but I was not looking to over double what I have invested..............unless you are trying to offer me a deal I cannot pass up :rolleyes:

I'm kinda like Freddy on this- a gen movement would take you all the way to a top notch franken. If you could find a movement for $1250-1500, you wouldn't have to buy a gen 1675 later. You could put a set of aftermarket hands on til you found a nice set of gens. Likewise the bezel. And I do like the faded black insert you already have.

Very nice project. I'm going to agree with Freddy and Aligoat, I would be on the lookout for a genuine movement. once you get it together, and running, you can take your time sourcing a movement.With a genuine mov't, you have a genuine 1675, no need to look any further. Also looking at prices of genuine, the early matte dial 1675's aren't cheap. nice ones are going for 5-7k, as opposed to late 1675's and 16750's that can be had for less than 4k.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...