When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A diilie of a pickle.A conundrum of sorts

First off may i congratulate everyone involved in the site on a job well done in creating a great community online. Am always surprised by the excellent replies and time afforded to people maybe not in the know as other.Kudos. I made the leap over a yr ago into the rep world after researching for a few mnths on this site. I went with a black Breitling SOSF Swiss ETA,AR coating,Correct engravings etc (Bit of a classic by all accounts), with the added bonus of water testing from a very trusted member on here. I bought 2nd hand and was i happy?

You bloody bet i was!! The watch is magnificent, simply stunning. I dont wear often as have a lovely STORM watch to use day to day but when i put on the Breitling.....WOW. It just seems to have a great presence on the wrist.The weight and size just feel superb. So now to the problem:

I am being drawn to the Rolex DSSD Supreme 116660 that PT and others have. Problem being im a broke ass student so the SOSF may have to go to help fund this. This will be very reluctantly i must say if it comes to it. So basically im just looking for some thoughts/feedback along the lines of:

Q. Does the DSSD have that presence the SOSF has on the wrist? Sizes are similar but does it have that WOW factor i believe the SOSF has?

Q Are the DSSD reasonably priced generally on boards? 2nd hand is probably my preferred option but wont discount buying new?

Q My SOSF may be a few yrs old but surely could garner me a decent price towards a DSSD?

Q Is this even a change of watch i should be considering? I bloody love my Breit as it is!

If anyone can be of help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading everyone.Regards,RR

The DSSD has a similar presence if not more because it is shiny and says Rolex on the dial.

I would ask yourself this. Would a broke student be wearing a $9000 DSSD? Your Brietling SOSF, has much more plausibility.

Finally, and this is just a personal pet peeve / opinion, but be ready for the "Gas Escape Valve" Jokes. (Why did Rolex have to put that on the FRONT of the DSSD? :bangin:)

Stick with your Steelfish. The steelfish is no longer produced.. and hard to come by. You can get the Ultimate "V6" DSSD from Lay for $88.00 with 21j. It's a steal, and has the same case and crystal as the more expensive version. If you decide you really like it. pop for the ETA version for about $250 from trevor and you're set.

In any case.. I wouldn't get rid of your first and only Steelfish rep to get a DSSD. I have both and LOVE both equally. In fact, I wear the DSSD considerably more lately, but both are EXCELLENT watches.

@Ronin: Someone has joked to you about the "Gas Escape Valve" on your DSSD? I get the joke, but just can't see any serious person cracking a joke at something so contrived... I mean honestly.. this person must crack up everytime someone says I need to fill up my Tank with Gas. Or a Gas Powered Furnace...

I mean seriously??

The DSSD has a similar presence if not more because it is shiny and says Rolex on the dial.

I would ask yourself this. Would a broke student be wearing a $9000 DSSD? Your Brietling SOSF, has much more plausibility.

Finally, and this is just a personal pet peeve / opinion, but be ready for the "Gas Escape Valve" Jokes. (Why did Rolex have to put that on the FRONT of the DSSD? :bangin:)

Keep the Breitling mate :) plaifender's suggestion of the $88 21J is ideal to try it out, you might love it, or you might hate it, not worth the risk to sacrifice the SOSF.

Keep us posted :)

I tried on a gen SOSF, wasn't at all impressed, so never bought the rep (which I do now somewhat regret). I guess what I'm saying, is as you have one of these, I would hang on to it, as it's now a rare watch (in the rep world) and as above, a shiny DSSD might will look out of place on a 'broke student'. If you really want to go with an 'R Word' watch, stick to the more vintage pieces, as they'll attract much less negative attention than the modern pieces :) At the end of the day, it's your watch, so wear what you're happy and comfortable with, but I wouldn't get a DSSD just for the sake of having one, and certainly not at the expense of the SOSF :drinks:

I tried on a gen SOSF, wasn't at all impressed, so never bought the rep (which I do now somewhat regret). I guess what I'm saying, is as you have one of these, I would hang on to it, as it's now a rare watch (in the rep world) and as above, a shiny DSSD might will look out of place on a 'broke student'. If you really want to go with an 'R Word' watch, stick to the more vintage pieces, as they'll attract much less negative attention than the modern pieces :) At the end of the day, it's your watch, so wear what you're happy and comfortable with, but I wouldn't get a DSSD just for the sake of having one, and certainly not at the expense of the SOSF :drinks:

Screw the vintage... out with the old.. in with the new. hahaha ;)

I agree that you shouldn't get rid of the SOSF, but a DSSD is just so substantial on the wrist. it's hard for me to say a vintage Rollie would be a necessarily "better" choice!!!

Screw the vintage... out with the old.. in with the new. hahaha ;)

Love it :tu::rofl:

I agree that you shouldn't get rid of the SOSF, but a DSSD is just so substantial on the wrist. it's hard for me to say a vintage Rollie would be a necessarily "better" choice!!!

I was just thinking which would attract less negative attention on a student's wrist, and vintage is certainly one way of flying beneath the radar :good:

You can get the Ultimate "V6" DSSD from Lay for $88.00 with 21j. It's a steal, and has the same case and crystal as the more expensive version.

Does that one not have a mineral crystal and the other ones a sapphire? (I haven't been keeping pace on DSSD versions so don't have a clue - I hear they offer a PhD in it now :lol: )

Does that one not have a mineral crystal and the other ones a sapphire? (I haven't been keeping pace on DSSD versions so don't have a clue - I hear they offer a PhD in it now :lol: )

No DSSD's that I know of are offered with Mineral Crystal. But don't hold me to that. To my undrestand the only difference in the $88 version is that it possesses the 21j movement.