When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help the new guy... 6538 project, tropic dial

srmussell

I'm looking to start my first project. I'd like to build a 6238 with a brown tropic dial. I don't have major funds for this so probably just going to be a Josh watch that I modify. Likely get one with an ETA movement already in it. If theres a better option out there I'm open to it.

I'd like some help with the following-

Sourcing a good tropic brown dial (I see Yuki has a couple but I haven't been able to find much else. I've looked around here a lot but can't find much on sourcing such a dial.)

Finding a replacement crown (The one on the pc watch dosen't look right, again I see Yuki has a crown and tube but for $250...)

Tips on adding vintage (I've read about bleaching bezels and baking dials but don't know that I have a total grasp)

I've tried to read up on a few things out here but I'm sure I missed some stuff so feel free to point me in a direction and I'll read up. Aslo as you can see I'm a super newbie so any general help or words of advice would be great as I'm kind of lost sometimes... :-).

Thanks in advance for your time and for helping the new guy out!

Welcome to the party :drinks: When it comes to artificially aging the watch, there're several schools of thought... Some of the best results I have seen, involved baking the dial, and then spraying with a few coats of wood stain. I've achieved mixed results on bezel inserts by gently sanding the insert, then bleaching for a few seconds. Ubiquitous has created the best faded inserts, but he keeps his method a closely guarded secret :shutup2: Aging the case, some people like to put the watch in a container with things like nuts and bolts, loose change, etc, and then shaking. The method I have used in the past, involved dragging the case against house bricks and ceramic tiles, and then using a 4-sided nail buffer to re-finish the case, and was quite happy with the results :) One thing's for sure, modifying watches is much more fun and satisfying than just strapping on one fresh from the box :good:

I think that before you spend a lot of money on a dial, i would make certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that the dial will fit the case. I was told by someone who has actually tried it that the NDT dial is too small to fit the Cartel or MBK cases. IF as it has been said the yuki complete watch is the same as the cartel/MBK watch, your only alternative would be to buy the case set from yuki,J&W or NDT and go from there. Of course what you are looking at is a price difference of several thousand dollars to build a complete watch.If in fact the cartel/MBK/Yuki cases are larger, genuine dials, crystals, bezels/inserts. etc will not work, so the amount of modding you could accomplish with those watches would be limited.:wounded1:

Pretty much depends on how much you want to spend.

I agree with Flex. I would hold off until you find a suitable dial. You can always find a case to fit--aftermarket, salvaged from a rep or gen.

I have been searching for an accurate gold Newman dial to replace the 7750 dial in my gold 6239. As hard as it is to find a good Newman dial, finding a gold 1 seems to be twice as hard. If/when I locate a dial, then I will begin sourcing the V72 movement for the conversion.

If I am not mistaken the diameter size of the cartel 6538s and the like are bigger than the aftermarket 6538 dials available.

Well there goes my plans to use the cartel case... Ggggrrrrrrr

I guess I will go with the MBW.