When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Installing OEM insert on Jacko SSD

txcollector

Sand it down. ;)

Folks,

I'm trying to replace the insert on my SSD with an OEM one but it would appear the OEM insert is larger than the rep. I don't want to force it in place but the only other option seems to be milling the bezel.

Options? Ideas?

Are you certain that the insert is for a 16600 and 16610? I have the understanding that the sub and ssd inserts are different. Please someone correct me if I am wrong as I am searching for a 16600 gen insert myself and if they sub and ssd are the same it would make my search easier.

yes, the insert is for the 16600. I believe the sub wouldn't fit.

The OEM SD insert is smaller than a 16610 (16800) insert. If it doesn't fit in the SSD bezel, you have to file it down along the edge, carefully and slowly. I've even heard of people touching up the black paint afterwards.

Ironically, the noob sub bezel is the same, you have to file down a gen insert (or decent aftermarket)to get it to fit in the noob bezel- PITA!

sand it down by running the bezel along some 600 grit sandpaper. Hold the bezel perpendicular to the sandpaper so the outside edge is on the grit. The pull the insert along the sandpaper white rotating the insert as you slide it. This way it sands it smoothly around. If you just sand one spot you will get flat spots all the way around.

Then if you want you can touch up the outside edge with a felt pen or something. You probably wont see it anyways unless your insert isnt recessed below the top of the bezel.

sand it down by running the bezel along some 600 grit sandpaper. Hold the bezel perpendicular to the sandpaper so the outside edge is on the grit. The pull the insert along the sandpaper white rotating the insert as you slide it. This way it sands it smoothly around. If you just sand one spot you will get flat spots all the way around.

Then if you want you can touch up the outside edge with a felt pen or something. You probably wont see it anyways unless your insert isnt recessed below the top of the bezel.

I skipped this last step sadly and didn't realize it until it was too late. I glued it in with gorilla glue..after it was dry I saw that the sanded silver edge was faintly visible..I was sooooo happy with myself too...lol

Now I wonder how to get it out without bending it.

:angry:

Folks,

I'm trying to replace the insert on my SSD with an OEM one but it would appear the OEM insert is larger than the rep. I don't want to force it in place but the only other option seems to be milling the bezel.

Options? Ideas?

TX, you might wanna have a look at this excellent post by GioArmani:

Scroll down a bit, it shows step by step how to do it. ;)

Val.