When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR coating success

szvwj

In an attempt to achieve a Gen-like AR coating (and not being able to get in on one of Chief's runs), over the last year I've contacted various coating houses to find a coating (and process) that would give me acceptable results (not easy). I've had crystals coated twice before but had limited success: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?p=1460069#post1460069.

I received my latest crystals today (my 3rd attempt) and I must say that I think it looks amazing. Attached is a photo of my new crystal on top of the Gen. It's very slightly more violet than the Gen, but I think it knocks down reflection even better (and way better than a rep):

110104_ar_coating.jpg

Here's another picture (mine is on the left):

new_ar_2.jpg

the coating is applied per Military standards and meets or exceeds the following:

* Abrasion, Mil-C-675A

* Adhesion, Mil-M-13508C

* Hardness, Mil-M-13508C

...I'm VERY happy!

Who's your secret!????

It took a lot of work, money and persistence. I learned more than I thought I ever would about AR coatings. It took me over a year of effort and because of that, I'd prefer to keep my 'secrets' to myself for now .

Even if I was willing to 'give' away my information, it would be complicated. I designed and fabricated special holding fixtures and came up with a specific process to get the correct color. I'd have to generate drawings and document the process. In addition, it took time to develop a relationship with my supplier (I've been through several suppliers). These are things I'm not willing to just give away (not yet anyway).

I may offer to coat crystals for other members, but I need to make sure that it doesn't violate any forum rules. In addition, I don't want to step on Chief's toes.

Guys,

AR coating is not a simple process. It's even harder when you want to be perfect, especially having the lab involved. I think we should just be glad that there is finally a person that can coat crystal now. AR or no AR is our choice, it really good go know if we do decide to AR the crystal, there is a place we can send to.

I may offer to coat crystals for other members, but I need to make sure that it doesn't violate any forum rules.

Thank you for being level headed.

The admin team has no problem with new service providers as long as the go through the correct channels and let us approve them.

There are many eager members in this thread who should know better.

Ken

me too.....but "military standard" is sort of vague

:D ...Kind-of like Military Intelligence.

But actually, the Mil-Specs for this coating aren't too bad. You can look them up here: https://assist.daps.dla.mil/online/start/

Just hit the 'QUICK SEARCH' button (on the left of the screen) and type in the number of the Mil-Spec (from my original post) in the 'Document Number' field.

Edited by szvwj

:D ...Kind-of like Military Intelligence.

But actually, the Mil-Specs for this coating aren't too bad. You can look them up here: https://assist.daps.dla.mil/online/start/

Just hit the 'QUICK SEARCH' button (on the left of the screen) and type in the number of the Mil-Spec (from my original post) in the 'Document Number' field.

Calvin_bored.jpg

Just tongue in cheek from me....I have no doubt your specs are decent enough :rolleyes:

Just tongue in cheek from me....I have no doubt your specs are decent enough :rolleyes:

No problem. For once, I actually understood the humor :D

I just though I'd throw in the information on the specs in case anyone wanted to know more about them.

No sarcasms at all...I was just hoping that you will share or try to developp a new AR servicing for us...:winkiss:

Oh, good!

I'm sending more crystals out this week. I'm including more of my own as well as a few from some friends. I'm keeping it very limited for now. I want to know what my friends think of the coating before I offer it to anyone else. I will, of course, have to go through the proper channels if I want to offer an AR service to the community.

I definitely don't want to negatively effect Chief's business. He does a great job and I don't want to do anything to make him want to stop.