When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need advise to make my 1675 more gen looking

dutchguy2

Just bought this nice 1675.

10.jpg

Description form the previous owner (as are the pictures):

- Movement: Gen Swiss ETA 2836 with GMT Hand working

- Gen 70´s insert

- Vintagised matte dial (markers with granular aspect)

- Shaved crown guards

- Classicwatchparts hands set

- 93150 bracelet

- Drilled lugs holes so accepts gen spring bars

- Clark's plexi crystal

- Gen Crown and tube

First question, does it have a GMT bezel or a sub bezel? For me it is hard to tell on the pictures.

Second, how wrong is the dial, some one mentioned it in the sales threat. Would a upgrade to a gen dial be better?

I have a correct jubilee for it and am planning to use it on this one. Anyone more suggestions to make it more like a gen?

Here are some more pics (all of previous owner):

photo31.jpg

photo1-15.jpg

photo3-11.jpg

photo2-17.jpg

OK, bin searching the web all evening.

Dial, the word "date" should not be on there. I've also read somewhere that an original dial probably will not fit. Anyone know where to get an correct dial from?

Bezel, probably from a GMT II. Needs to be trimmed down a bit, correct?

Case, is it to thick? anyone??

Looks like a sub case to me and that's probably your first problem. Like you say, a gen dial will be too small and won't fit. I don't know if you can find a decent rep dial to fit in there. Someone had mentioned Josh coming out with a better 1675 this year (or was it Angus?), but don't know if it's happened yet. But that doesn't help you much.

freddy333 sent a rep dial over to David Young-Classic Watch parts in HK to get it redone a few years ago- that's an option, but I would think it would run $200 by the time all is said and done with postage etc.

Your best bet is going to be to age the watch- esp. the dial, case, bezel and insert. And then enjoy it. There's just not much else you can do.

Only things that jump out at me are "Date" on the dial, and overly yellow hands. Also, case looks thick almost like a 'Fat Lady' and as such most likely a 6mm crown instead of 5.3

However, it looks good enough, I would just wear it at this point.

Pretty good as 1675 reps go, but the two glaring "tells" are the dial. "Date" didn't appear until the 16750's. also the correct crown should be a tiny 5.3mm crown. problem is when you put the correct crown in, the space betwween the crown and crown guards is way too big, and really sticks out. As alligoat said, age it some. maybe get a nice genuine faded bezel insert. (Hardly ever see a 1675 with ah "new looking bezel insert) , tone down the yellow hands and dial plots to a nice creamy color, and you are all set.

How did you adapt the Clark 25-116 ? as the high need to be reduced and the plexi glued

The case ans the bezel is a Sub rep case. A gen or aftermarket will never fit the Sub bezel, the inside diameter of the bezel must be machined

looks like mod I did on these watches 2 years ago

How did you adapt the Clark 25-116 ? as the high need to be reduced and the plexi glued

The case ans the bezel is a Sub rep case. A gen or aftermarket will never fit the Sub bezel, the inside diameter of the bezel must be machined

looks like mod I did on these watches 2 years ago

I bought it this way, it is actually still in transit.

If you did this mod, could you tell me a bit more about it?

Both watches are quite nice....I am by no means an expert, but I am looking to possibly get a gen 1675 in the near future, so I'm trying to learn. As many other posters said...the biggest tell is the word "Date" on the dial...it should just say "Oyster Perpetual"...the word date wasn't added until I believe the 16750 dials. I believe that you also have a sub bezel. WIth a GMT a genuine insert is slightly wider. In addition, and maybe this is just my eye, but the printing on the dial isn't bold enough....I was recently in NYC and I was looking at tons (well like 10) gens, and each one had a very white and bold lettering on the dial. Your GMT, like mine in the photos below, seems to have too light printing...the printing doesn't jump out like on a gen. Now I also have a 1655 rep, and that printing is very white, bold and crisp.

Here is a picture of my asian 1675 that I bought from Reg a while back and had modified by RolexAddict (a GREAT guy by the way)....he relumed the dial/hands, installed a proper crystal, drilled out the lugs and installed gen Rolex springbars and modified the bezel so that it accepted the proper insert.

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

Now here is a picture of the watch as I got it from Reg...notice that the lume is more yellow, and the bezel looks very different.

IMG_2206-1.jpg

This is the original domed crystal:

IMG_2184-1.jpg

Enjoy the watch...it is beautiful and should last you for a long time!!!