When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ANyone tried to make subdials more matte?

Guest Sql_pl

Guest Sql_pl

I know some people do that with PAM dials, get them more matte somehow, do you think there is a chance to do it with subdials of a 6263?

I'd like to get this effect:

P6263-5.jpg

On this dial:

29958474.jpg

31300722.jpg

If these subdials would get less shiny the DW dial would be pretty good actually!

Some gen pics do show subdials to be a bit more shiny but in most cases they look matte.

Here is a shiny gen pic:

RX-Cosmo%20Daytona-2%20copy_full.jpg

Guest Sql_pl

That sounds difficult. I wonder if some modders would be happy to do it as a service :)

I guess it would be good to maybe buy an extra dial from DW for experiments!

Shouldnt be too hard to do. That matt spray dries on contact so it wont run as long as you do a couple SUPER light coats, and thats all you will need.

I just looked at my new DW dial and the silver pie pan subdials are pretty matt. They are textured and definately dont look shiney. I know my old DW paul newman dial had shiney subdials but this new one I got last month is pretty good. Mine is a V72 dial so I dont know if there is a texture difference between mine and a 7750 layout dial.

dizz

I think the best thing to do would be to make a template with some paper/cardboard to cover whatever areas you do not want 'matte-finished'. This gives me an idea for an IWC St. Exupery REP that I have that. One of the main visible tells is that the subdials are very glossy vs. the GEN, where they are matte. May get an extra REP dial and try it....interesting.

Guest Sql_pl

I just looked at my new DW dial and the silver pie pan subdials are pretty matt. They are textured and definately dont look shiney. I know my old DW paul newman dial had shiney subdials but this new one I got last month is pretty good. Mine is a V72 dial so I dont know if there is a texture difference between mine and a 7750 layout dial.

dizz

Wow, that sounds great! Mine is a v72 as well. Will check his dials now!

Now that I look at more and more gen pics I start to think maybe gen subdials are glossy on some 6263s?

I think that is more of an aberration in the way the light is being reflected in some pics. When new, they were semi-gloss (due to the way the concentric circles within the subdials refract light), but I have never seen a gen 6263 with subdials that reflect light the way many aftermarket dials do. A light spray of matte varnish should result in just the right appearance.

• 3 months later...

Mmmmm... Rodico...

I dunno if it helps, but here are some close ups of my gen service dial uncased. The subdials have a definite satin finish; they do have a bit of reflection when exposed to direct light, but otherwise have a very soft radiance off of the concentric rings.

IMG_5396.jpg

IMG_5399.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

I'll try and get some pics under the sun tomorrow...

I've also got some shots of my 6239 dial, though the lighting is much harsher than ubi's. (Desk lamp was all I had on hand.)

Note that the 6239 had a different dial design compared to the 6263, and this is a refinished dial. However, the subdial appearance corresponds with what I've seen on gens. Definitely matte.

i-VZmKpqF-X3.jpg

i-qGqS72t-X3.jpg

i-5XDMkD8-X3.jpg