When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Known people sporting Vintage Daytonas

Guest Sql_pl

Sometimes, I am hesitant to wear my Newmans because I feel they may look out-of-place in anything but a formal environment. But, on Patrese's wrist, the 6239 looks as natural as a well-worn pair of old jeans. :good:

Personally, I wouldn't dream of wearing a chrono as a formal watch, so I'm really surprized that you would say that, considering all the other elegant watches in your collection :pardon:

Personally, I wouldn't dream of wearing a chrono as a formal watch, so I'm really surprized that you would say that, considering all the other elegant watches in your collection :pardon:

I probably did not word that as well as I should have. What I mean was that due to the perceived value of a Newman Daytona (a good percentage of the people I come into contact with have a good idea of the general rarity/value of these watches), I generally only wear them to more high brow establishments. But, after seeing this pic, I think I need to rethink that (a bit).

I probably did not word that as well as I should have. What I mean was that due to the perceived value of a Newman Daytona (a good percentage of the people I come into contact with have a good idea of the general rarity/value of these watches), I generally only wear them to more high brow establishments. But, after seeing this pic, I think I need to rethink that (a bit).

I figured that you were referring to the perceived value of the watch, rather than the aesthetics, it's just having seen the other really nice watches you have, like the Mystery and the Patek, I was surprised you would consider a chrono for 'formal wear' :)

A couple of the watches in those pics look like they might be on a wider 20mm oyster. I;ve seen some apparent NOS 7836 bracelets that come with 19mm endlinks. Was that actually an option back in the 70's? I would LOVE to toss this skinny little bracelet on my 6263 and put on a 20mm rivet bracelet with 19mm endlinks. I put one on it before and it looked really good, but it looks a lot different than the skinny 19mm bracelet. Anyone know if a 20mm bracelet with 19mm endlinks was actually an option from the AD?

dizz

are there any standard dealer vintage daytonas that ok?

None of the cartel vintage Daytonas has asymmetric pushers. All of them get key dimensions wrong, and these are less subtle than you might think. I find that a too-thick bezel or a too-shallow crystal is much more noticeable than subdials that are <0.5mm off. Considering an unmodded 6263/7750 from DW sells for well under $200, I don't see why you would consider anything else.

• 4 months later...