When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 7032: 589 Blues

lhooq

I suppose this could be an update to my long-running DW 7032: Work-in-progress thread, but brand-new threads seem to get the most response. Prove me right!

I should also link to vlydog's thread from the start of the year. This dealt with the same issues as below, but nothing definitive emerged, unfortunately.

Since October, I've been living with the rep '358' endlinks that came with my Watch International 7836 bracelet. They're beefier and fill the lugs better than the usual suspects (e.g. '455B' or '280'), but they're not a flush fit. Online sources (i.e. Morgan) indicate that the Homeplates were originally sold with ill-fitting 380s. Introduced many years later alongside Tudor's ETA 7750 chronographs, the 589 endlink was discovered to be a better fit on the earlier bi-compax models.

Some more years later, 589 begat the 605, which came with the Pre-Tiger chronograph. Apparently, these are identical to the 589s, but... I'll let our Danish friend explain:

The endpieces themselves are identical, but i never thought to measure the springbar holes.

589 - works with 2.0mm springbars (I tested with ref #23-12200 - which is std. 2.0mm used for 71xx and ordinay plexi sports)

605 has the smaller holes. I can't measure it precisely but 1.8mm looks about right. So yes - by the end of the big block, it would be 605 onwards!

Our very own marsupilami had great success with 605s, though his 7031 was from Yuki, not DW. Does this make a difference? Maybe. Probably. I really should've sent him a PM...

Thing is, the lughole placement on DW's case is not quite the same as on the gen. Here's a profile shot of the real thing:

1233858088_oJmCF-X3.jpg

... and DW's:

1106084506_SEcMc-L.jpg

If you have a Monte Carlo from Yuki, Phong, or NDT, please post similar photos so we can compare.

My, that was quite the introduction. Anyway, this morning I took delivery of the single 589 endlink that I was able to snag for pretty cheap a few weeks ago. How did it fit? The curvature is an excellent match with the lugs, but the internal hoops were too far to the outside.

1233837373_bApZ9-X3.jpg1233837323_5aZ2i-X3.jpg

The right picture shows the minimal overlap between hoop and lugholes when the endlink is in place. Not even a partial eclipse!

Any ideas on how I can get this endlink to work, short of buying a different case? I don't think bent springbars are going to do it, nor can I see how bending the endlink would make things better. Help! :help:

Wow! This is a complex problem. You are also forgetting the issue you will run into with the bracelet end piece being in a similar position. Although if you are using the bracelet in the above pics with the new end links - nevermind :whistling:

One possible solution would be to use the existing end link hoops as supports for new hoops to be soldered on. This would require con-caving the existing hoops, but using the case holes as your guide, you can see it doesn't necessarily require destroying them in the process. If you later decided to use them on another project or sell them, you could remove the added hoops and re-broach the link hoops.

One possible solution would be to use the existing end link hoops as supports for new hoops to be soldered on. This would require con-caving the existing hoops, but using the case holes as your guide, you can see it doesn't necessarily require destroying them in the process. If you later decided to use them on another project or sell them, you could remove the added hoops and re-broach the link hoops.

This is a very interesting idea, though total preservation of the hoops isn't a priority. If I can get it to fit, this endlink would most likely accompany this 7032 for the rest of its days!

I have a 605 endlink currently making its way to me. (Talk about a drawn-out, piecemeal, mutt of a build...) I'll take a good look at the 605 and see if it matches up with the expert description in the OP, then proceed from there. Thanks!

joerg: As I suspected, Yuki's case (and also Phong's, I think) has similarly inboard lugholes. I REALLY need to hear from marsupilami now!

• 3 weeks later...

I received my 605 today. Contrary to the information I quoted in the OP, the 605 is very similar -but not identical- to the 589.

Unfortunately, it's similar enough that it similarly does not fit on a DW case! I can see more of the 605's hoops through the lugholes than I do of the 589's, but not enough for the springbar pivots to extend. I hate curving springbars, but I think there's a slight chance they could work here.

• 2 months later...

Does the 7836 usually come with 358 endlinks, or did you have to order them separately? I bought one recently and was surprised the bracelet didn't come with endlinks or spring bars. Is that normal?

Endlinks, yes. Spring bars, no. Every rep bracelet I've ordered has always come with endlinks.

• 10 months later...

Just a little thread bump here. I wanted to install gen spring bars on my 7032. Of course they don't even come close to fitting with the stock 358 end links from Mary. I happened to have a mis-mash of end links in my stash and tried a few of them out. Oddly enough, both the 258 and the 558 fit just fine on my DW case (although they look just as wrong as the 358's). I also tried out my gen 380b end links from my 9411. They also fit, but still look a little odd.

There is a Tudor 7032 for sale on eBay right now and it has Tudor 382 end links on it that look superb!

DSC06192.jpg

I recently paid a pretty penny for a 7836 bracelet with 282 endlinks. These are correct for the 7032, but I can now report that they fit terribly on a DW 7032. The lugholes on the DW case are too low, and the endlinks are too narrow, so much of the engraved area and inner lugs are left exposed.

Right now, the rep 358s still seem to be the best choice.

Yes i agree with LHOOQ. t tried many versions on my Phong case but 358's fit the best ... These on a Mary bracelet with gen clasp.

IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

IMG_5122.jpg

Cheers

P.

Those 358 end links look really good Pete! Did you modify them in some way? Mine look squished on my DW case

Phongs cases are often the best, but for this model I don't know anyone that has one.

Have you contacted him for a price? It's going to be somewhere between 1100-1500$ :)

That's why the DW is such a deal....even if there are issues. Maybe someone that had a phong or Ndt case can comment.

Phongs cases are often the best, but for this model I don't know anyone that has one.

Have you contacted him for a price? It's going to be somewhere between 1100-1500$ :)

That's why the DW is such a deal....even if there are issues. Maybe someone that had a phong or Ndt case can comment.

yea he said about $1400 so the issues with the dw could be sorted with a bit of reserve for the bracelet does a 7750 fit it ok do you know

In addition to polexpete, I think vlydog and marsupilami used Phong cases on their builds--maybe ubiquitous, too.

But only DW has anything at this price point. So it's a shame he's become such an unreliable seller (to put it mildly).

archie: Movement-wise, it's 7734 or nothing.

I was lucky enough to bag Hikes Phong 7032 last year for a very reasonable price, Phong has made a couple of Monte(Chrono) cases over the years, both differ slightly which means that you do need to gentley re-shape the 589 endlinks to fit the earlier one. Tried a Gen 589 on the DW and no suprises it wasn't anywhere to close. I'm with LHOOQ on either Josh's 7836 bracelet or Gen with the 358 endlinks being the best option with the DW case