When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Believe You Could Call This a Must Read Post

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken's upset because we're giving too much money to the forum :g: Everyone dial it down a notch or two :-P

:bleh:

Ken :animal_rooster:

PS; Ok I laughed Dave, but being Admin team means I wouldn't get a bid anyway.

:bleh:

Ken :animal_rooster:

PS; Ok I laughed Dave, but being Admin team means I wouldn't get a bid anyway.

Ohhhhhh Nooooooo - you don't get off that easy Ken.

I made no such stipulation. I agree that it would completely thwart the whole game for anyone to bid with any hint of inside information but I represent to this group that Ken has no earthly idea what's in the bag, so to speak.

C'mon Dude, break out that wallet - unless, of course, anyone objects.

[snicker]

Bill

TJGladeRaider, haven't seen you around here in a long time. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hope all is well.

My bid... $375.00

Pizz

Hey Pizz, I been away a while. Work, kids, life . . . and a wife with NO freakin sense of humor who simply cannot understand why her husband needs a hundred wrist watches.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Thanks for the bid.

Bill

Best I don't Bill, and that is beside the fact that I am not much of a Rolex freak, but someone always complains.

Even if they don't post about it.

Ken

so is a Rolex rep then??? could it be one of those magnificent GMT with real GMT movement. :Jumpy:

so is a Rolex rep then??? could it be one of those magnificent GMT with real GMT movement. :Jumpy:

I have no idea what it is but take a look at Bill's collection and Rolex is a pretty safe bet.

Ken

oops! :whistling:

Actually Ken, I see where you're coming from.

We all know that we'll never see the day that these sorts of "bid on a pig in a poke" things become common. It's a game fraught with perils, no matter how good the intentions. Thomas has his reasons for allowing it, and whatever his thought processes, you're in a position to have insights that others bidding do not have. While you don't know anything the rest don't know, any insight at all tilts the scales. Plus, as further explained below, you can't win.

The fact is, I'm real pleased with the way this has gone thus far. It's clear that RWG is going to get a decent addition to the coffers, and it looks to me like everyone is having fun. Having Admin folks bidding might compromise that.

Remember, none of us can know how this is finally going to play out and, from Thomas' position, the appearance of impropriety is as worrisome as impropriety itself. For example, what if I had said that this was over at noon today, and some noob most of us don't know had the high bid until final hour, but Nanuq [why not pick on him consistently] stepped in at the end, upped it by a few bucks and walked away with a super nice watch he could abuse. You think the noob wouldn't be wondering if the fix was in? Most of us would, but knowing he couldn't have known, I'd send him the watch recognizing that there was a regrettable appearance of impropriety.

The Law of Unintended Consequences.

On the other hand, considering your relationship with Thomas, if you stepped in at 11:59, and I had something really special in the bag, you WOULD experience a little delay in getting your watch because I'd be taking a little trip to Canal Street! I couldn't let that end any other way - off all the possibilities and potentials, that just couldn't be the way this ended.

So, having thought about it, I'd have to say you're right. Everyone on here expects a dramatic ending of some kind, and it will be, they just don't know which. The other bidders have an opportunity to "win big or lose big" that you don't have.

Bill

My doughter would love this one ib a few years!!!

Imagine the irony.

Some poor schmuck spends $500 and winds up with that POS, throwing it in his skivvy drawer in disgust. Ten years later he gets married and ten years later he gives it to his little girl to start school with. She comes home and says her teacher told her she shouldn't be wearing such a rare collectable.

Turns out it's one of 500 ever made, the Barbie collectors are offering a million bucks for them and none has survived like his being surrounded by his fruit of the looms!

Bill