When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to glue a dial?

Hello,

last weekend my Cartel 1680 arrived, it is a great watch but I want to put its dial into an other 1680 with better case and ETA2836.

I know that I have to remove the feet and glue the dial on the movement.

But my question is; how? Where should I apply the glue?

Thanks.

A non-permanent glue might be OK if used sparingly but you don't want to get any in the works or have it strong enough that you will mangle the dial if you need to take it off to repair something like the keyless. Dial-Dots are extremely sticky but allow the dial to move around a bit as they are pretty soft so care must be taken to not disturb orientation when casing the movement. Another alternative would be the double-stick tape used by trophy shops to stick the little brass plaques on trophies. It is thin, strong, and rather firm.

The only time I ever did this I used the movement spacer ring. The ETA case has these dimples at 9 - 11 - 1. I made crimps in the spacer ring at these points so it would only go on one way, then I glued the spacer ring to the back of the dial.

Gotta be careful in un-casing the movement in the future though, because the dial can slip off the movement and bend the hands or scratch the dial.

cjjoyce1 has a good idea. It's no problem to glue the dial ring to the back of the dial since once you make this move, that dial will probably never be on anything again but an ETA movement. I use an epoxy that never cures completely brittle. Next to the stem on a 2824/36 there is a place where the set lever can be manipulated. I put a small dot of epoxy on the rim above that and then set the dial ring with dial attached. You do not need to glue all the way around. You just want to hold the dial in place so that it doesn't rotate until you get it clamped. Once clamped it isn't going anywhere.

If you need to remove the dial you can insert a screwdriver into the slot where the set lever is and twist it just a little to pry the dial ring loose from the movement.

Please note...This whole procedure does not take much glue. Just four tiny dots to glue the ring to the dial and just one to mount it to the movement.

And yes...It's a very good idea not to glue any gears. Not good...not good at all.

dont put any kind of glue near the inside of your watch, even hypo. double sided 3m scrapbooking tape works great, or if youre handy you can use a pinvise to create new holes in the movement plate, i really only suggest the latter if its a gen dial and you have plans possibly in the future of switching to a gen calibre