When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hotel in-room safes

Hi, I haven't noticed any problems with watches so far but I've noticed some strange things with hotel safes and devices. They quickly flatten my rechargable electronic toothbrush battery and instantly hard power off my iPhone. Contrarily, they dont flatten the battery in my travel laptop or turn my blackberry off...

This has got me wondering if they are bad for watches? Does anyone know the workings of these things? Any magnetism involved?

Electronic with key code. The one here has had the branding removed, so thats no help for googling.

It's possible the phone thing is more to do with the phone functions but the toothbrush is good for 10 days with twice a day brushing on full charge. Dead overnight in the safe. This has been tested a few times at different locations.

Oh, if anyone's wondering about the toothbrush in the safe. The old chesnut of "everything got stolen except for the toothbrush and camera" has me paranoid hehe.

I'm guessing (I'm no rocket scientist) that where ever there is current there is also a strong chance of a magnetic field, so no I wouldn't be putting a watch in there.

Ken

Sounds plausible, I don't think the designers consider how far the magnetic field would penetrate into the safe. Interesting theory, I'll look into it.

BTW mma, those hotel safes are worse than useless for security.

Most of the hotel staff have the emergency/fail code, so in fact you are gathering all your valuables in the one place so they may choose what they want!

Depends on the country you are in, but your current destination is renowned for emptying room safes.

O/S

I'm guessing (I'm no rocket scientist) that where ever there is current there is also a strong chance of a magnetic field, so no I wouldn't be putting a watch in there.

Ken

Yes, there is definitely something going on in there so will stick em a locked suitcase for now.

Most of the hotel staff have the emergency/fail code, so in fact you are gathering all your valuables in the one place so they may choose what they want!

Depends on the country you are in, but your current destination is renowned for emptying room safes.

O/S

Hehe, yeah, i was quite surprised the only time i locked myself out of a safe that the _cleaner_ had a master swipe card. But I'm not in the Phils yet. Just Singapore - where they are almost as big a nation of rule makers as we are. Difference between Aus and SG is that Aus rules just makes everyone a criminal while in SG they seem to abide. I think you get a million dollar fine for theft here, or your thieving hand cut off or something :p

BTW I read an interesting article in a travel mag at one point which stated that whilst some hotels may offer cheap accommodation there were many hidden charges that get added whether you use them or not.

A safe was one of those charges, so when booking a room you need to make a point of no safe if you don't intent to use it.

Ken

O/S

Didn't know that.

That said i just stayed 2 weeks in the hotel he is going to in Phil. and had thousands in yank bucks,wifes jewellery in the safe there,all good. Been to Mexico a zillion times and the same,no problem.

That also said,now that i read your post i probably wont do that again... :lol:

a cell phone in a safe has to scream at the top of it's antenna lungs to try and reach the cell tower. the battery would die a quick death.

Yes that makes perfect sense. Especially with the practically antique 3gs I have.

The toothbrush is still a mystery though. A cursory googling doesn't turn up anything related to magnets and battery flattening. Although i found some stuff about forming a circuit with poorly insulated devices that could drain battery. Though it seems unlikely with a waterproof device (in my hardly expert logic) and would also mean the safe was faulty (they are supposed to be fireproof as well), and this has happened on a few occasions/different safes... hmmm.

a cell phone in a safe has to scream at the top of it's antenna lungs to try and reach the cell tower. the battery would die a quick death.

Agreed, but MMA said it immediately hard-reset itself. That would imply another much stronger effect, although the battery would run itself down very quickly due to the Faraday cage created by the closed magnetic field. Some genuine science at work here. Seems that the safe is electrified, and the bolt release is controlled by an electrical coil created a magnetic field, retaining the bolt in place. As the correct password is entered the bolt retracts. But that can't be true, what if the power shuts off?

Edited by subbiesrock

Here in the US these safes are found in low end hotels which look to them for additional revenue, typically a dollar a day.

As has already been pointed out, the "staff" can usually access them at will and you will need to prove destructive entry to ever validate a claim. Good luck on that.

Most states have laws requiring the front desk to provide an actual safe storage at no charge. Just get a receipt for any of the items.

The refrigerator or microwave is probably safer, but I'm not recommending that, either!

Carl (five years in high end hotel management)

Just thinking about the fireproof angle.

Do these safes have room numbers actually stamped on them?

Imagine the hotel burns to the ground and all you have is these couple of hundred unmarked safes, you had a cell phone and a few odds and ends in yours but the first one they open in front of you has Daves couple of grand and wifes jewelery..."yep thats mine!" :whistling:

Ken

Agreed, but MMA said it immediately hard-reset itself. That would imply another much stronger effect, although the battery would run itself down very quickly due to the Faraday cage created by the closed magnetic field. Some genuine science at work here. Seems that the safe is electrified, and the bolt release is controlled by an electrical coil created a magnetic field, retaining the bolt in place. As the correct password is entered the bolt retracts. But that can't be true, what if the power shuts off?

Yes, absolutely. Not enough coffees this morning morning when I posted... The iPhone requires a hard on (lol for aussies reading) when removed from safe, but the battery isn't flat.

It's something I can test in another room, at this same hotel when i get back from PI. In PI I'll check just my travel documents into the office safe i think as all valuables will be left here at the GF's in SG.

Yes that makes perfect sense. Especially with the practically antique 3gs I have.

The toothbrush is still a mystery though. A cursory googling doesn't turn up anything related to magnets and battery flattening. Although i found some stuff about forming a circuit with poorly insulated devices that could drain battery. Though it seems unlikely with a waterproof device (in my hardly expert logic) and would also mean the safe was faulty (they are supposed to be fireproof as well), and this has happened on a few occasions/different safes... hmmm.

Obviously your toothbrush is screaming power out into the ether as well attempting to download the latest set of instructions it is to insert into that implant the government placed in your jawbone.... :whistling::pardon:

I never had an issue with a hotel safe killing battery powered items, but I now carry a small safe intended for a handgun which has a steel cable that you can loop through a solid item such as a bed frame... I keep my spare watches and other small valuables in that when I stay in a hotel these days. Oh, and my toothbrush is analog, so no battery worries with it at all. :bangin:

Perhaps a more simple answer to the toothbrush problem. Is it possible in travel, the power button kept getting bumped and turning it on for its 2min cycle repeatedly? -or- was this a narrow safe that could have pinched it, actually turning it on and draining the battery.

Finally, electric toothbrushes use inductive charging. It is feasible the DC motor in the door/lock mechanism was able to reverse the flow from you battery into the ether.

A simple test for magnetism of your own personal safes or even bank safe deposit boxes is to use a simple, old school compass. If it spins and fails to point north you might not want to put a watch in there. I also used this method to test my AceTimer winder.

detachable-compass-led-flashlight-key-chain-618.jpg

I had my tooth brush arrive DOA when I flew to Vegas. And found that it had been bumped while in my bag and turned on. I am thinking something like that is more likely than a safe killing the battery lol.

The hotel I stayed at said they charged for the safe but I didn't get charged anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, back in SG and using the in room safe again. This is a different one and it's branded "Elsafe". Even though it's a very different safe (size, shape, colour, keypad - this one is more modern) it exhibits the same things. I bought a compass from the local travel shop and it does indeed appear to have some magnetic properties.

Firstly, here is the control pic outside and not near the safe. It gets this reading everywhere inside the room and on the balcony (and is accurate jusdging by google maps):

outside.jpg

I was careful to keep the compass in the same orientation for this pic laying inside the safe:

inside.jpg

And a different reading outside the safe by the safe door locking mechanism:

door.jpg

So, I don't know enough about magnetism's affect on watches but I'll take the benefit of doubt and keep them out.

This safe powers down the iPhone 3gs as well. With further testing I've found that it doesn't power down the iPhone until the door is shut and locked. Holding the door closed without locking it won't power it off.

Also, it saps power from the toothbrush, but takes over night (my toothbrush doesn't have a powerguage for any defineable rate).

I had my tooth brush arrive DOA when I flew to Vegas. And found that it had been bumped while in my bag and turned on. I am thinking something like that is more likely than a safe killing the battery lol.

I have the charger with me ;)

Edit: Oh, i wanted to take a little video of the compass/magnetism but needed the flash so this is the best i could do.