When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Creating the Perfect SuperOcean Heritage

krpster

As many of you know I have a strong liking for the Breitling SuperOcean Heritage. So I have always wanted to build up the best possible rep that I could. As good as the V2 is there are still a few small things that I felt detracted from the overall impression of the rep. But, since availability of gen parts for this model is basically nil the only other thing to do was to mod. So the following illustrates the my brief journey into creating the best SOH rep ever :)

So what have we here….

01NewParts.jpg

Well let me show you.

02NewParts2.jpg

1) Gen (Used) Ocean Racer strap

2) Minty new ETA 2824-2

3) V2 hands relumed with Superluminova C3 A+ by the meister

4) V2 dial relumed with Superluminova C3 A+ by the meister

All I can say is that the Zigmeister’s work is outstanding! Here is a closer look at these beauties (ignore the sweep hand, it flipped over as I was taking the shot).

03Hands.jpg

04Dial.jpg

So the first step was to disassemble the old watch. Here is a shot part way through.

05OldMovement.jpg

Looking at this movement again in detail it really is quite well done for a clone. The overall level of detail is excellent. Just look at the pearlage. However, I figured this prized piece deserves the best engine I can reasonably get.

Now here is the heart of the beast uncased and unhanded. Just look at those lume dots…yuk!

06OldMovementDecased.jpg

The only thing I really need from this is the date wheel. So let’s get crackin’. Dial comes off.

07OldMovement.jpg

Out comes the date wheel.

08OldDateWheelRemoved.jpg

They really did a nice job on this part. It is not an overlay on an existing wheel. It appears to be made specifically for this which makes fitting it in the new movement that much easier, no extra thickness to worry about.

Now here we have the new ETA movement ready for date wheel replacement.

09NewMovement.jpg

Out comes the stock date wheel.

10NewDatewheelRemoved.jpg

And in goes the new…I mean err…old one ;) Perfect fit.

11OldDatewheelInstalled.jpg

Now comes the moment of truth. ALIGNMENT!

12DialFitment.jpg

Bang On! Just look at that :good: In case you needed to see it again.

13DialFitment2.jpg

Now that is how the lume dots should look. Next up is the hands. I spent a fair bit of time making sure these were on perfectly. I am happy to say that at precisely midnight the date snaps over crisply. Here is the textbook face on shot with hands at 10 and 2.

14HandsOn.jpg

Now of course this would not be complete without the obligatory lume shots. So here are a few to drool over.

15Lume1.jpg

16Lume2.jpg

17Lume3.jpg

Just as a note, I only exposed the assembly to my desk lamp for about 10 seconds and then took the pictures with my point and shoot while progressively turning off the room lights. Superluminova is just amazing stuff!

While I had it all apart I gave the case a good cleaning.

18CleanCase.jpg

Now the final assembly can begin. Here it is all mounted in from the backside.

19CasedUp1.jpg

May not look like much there. But get a load of this!

20CasedUp2.jpg

All buttoned up and ready to go. Now all that is left is to throw on the strap and wear it.

21Wristie1.jpg

22Wristie2.jpg

23Wristie3.jpg

All I can say is DAMN! I love this watch. :wub:

I hope you enjoyed my over theatric presentation of this upgrade. I always like to show off my SOH so I couldn't help but take the opportunity. A big thanks to the Zigmeister for getting me one step closer to perfection and to the rep community at large. Without all of you none of this would be possible.

Cheers! :drinks:

• Like 1

SOH is my personal favorite too! I have two of them and modded one. The other one is work in progress. In my personal experience, the hardest part is installing the large second hand. It's so large and highly polished. It's really hard to keep it perfect and clean.

I'm so excited. I have a Black SOH v2 Swiss ETA en route. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@krpster--where'd you get the gen ocean racer strap?

:pimp:

Lucky to find one. Enjoy! It is an amazing watch even without any mods.

The strap I got in a private sale. Friend of a friend and so on. Good deal that I couldn't pass up. :)

Lucky to find one. Enjoy! It is an amazing watch even without any mods.

The strap I got in a private sale. Friend of a friend and so on. Good deal that I couldn't pass up. :)

Oh, it has mods. One of our gracious members had pity on me and sold me his with a gen mesh strap, Zigmeister-lumed dial/hands with a gen serviced Hamilton 2824-2 installed by Zigmeister. It will be another PERFECT SOH!!!

Oh, it has mods. One of our gracious members had pity on me and sold me his with a gen mesh strap, Zigmeister-lumed dial/hands with a gen serviced Hamilton 2824-2 installed by Zigmeister. It will be another PERFECT SOH!!!

Very nice man,i miss my gen already. You will love this watch and bracelet... :drinks:

Nice! They are brothers I guess :D Gen mesh is amazing. Watching one currently. Post up some shots here when you get it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have owned the SOH since it was originally released.

1st mod was the purchase of the SOH Racer rubber strap...

then I purchased a mesh bracelet from a local member.

Had the Zigmeister service and do a relume. Without a doubt the SOH

black dial is a classic diver. It is the only Breitling I own.