When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen. 1680 Crystal

sly

Has anybody used this 1680 crystal which says on the listing Gen. If so, Has anybody installed it and can you show pics.. I am interested in the date magnification ( I know that sometimes it depends on the crystal height that magnification varies). and why they have so many NOS but no packaging.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-Rolex-Submariner-1680-Tropic-Plexi-Crystal-NOS-/170632038720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ba764940

Thanks

That's Cameron Weiss, he's a watchmaker in Florida and I have purchased from him several times. Not a scammer.

He sells Rolex crystals in the Rolex packaging also if there is a question of authentic or not.

I am not affiliated with him, I just have experience with him. He has a website and a phone#. This is a new ebay account for him and for whatever reason there is that negative feedback. No idea on that, but he does deliver gen parts.

I am grateful for all the generous information that is shared here and to the friends I have made on the forum, so I will try to contribute a little here.

I didn't want to step on toes or upset anyone, but sly asked about the seller, and I replied honestly with my experience with him.

As I said, I have no affiliation with him other than buying rolex parts, gen and aftermarket, and a few email exchanges. He was helpful and given me good deals.

I would suggest anyone buying parts to do research on any seller..as I did. I'm not his friend or buddy. I just don't like disinformation like "scammer" tossed out...however well intended.

This is what I know about Cameron Weiss,

He is a credited watchmaker and belongs to all the guilds and organizations that most of them belong to.

He owns his own storefront business in Miami where he services Rolex primarily.

He has a line of dive watches he sells.

He is a personal friend of the owner of Watchuseek.

He is a publisher on Watchuseek.

His website: http://www.weisswatchcompany.com/about_us.html

Some info from Watchuseek: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/please-welcome-cameron-weiss-watchmaker-new-publicist-watchuseek-529784.html

I just can't imagine someone going to school to learn this trade, set up a business with all the associated costs, design and market a line of watches w those costs and investment, network and spend the time to make contacts and friends in the industry, contribute on several gen watch forums.....only to throw that all away..... and become a scammer to make like 20$ on some fake crystals on ebay. You tell me?

I take this with some interest, as I am a small business owner and I have worked very hard at my reputation.

This was not my intention to come off as a know it all or anything like that... but I hope this information is of some use when deciding to buy from him.

Anything is possible in this world...he might be selling fake crystals....and that's why I researched him before buying.

I don't know the reason for the packaging, but I have seen it many times on VRF and also on eBay, where seller sells this way.

This is a 127 from him. Came in tiny ziplock.

f1ee9d09.jpg

1b34e955.jpg

the best pics I could take before work.

Again, I don't know for fact it's gen, it didn't have a plastic film on it btw.

What would suck is that if for $5, the Clark Crystal is the same offering..........my belief on Rolex parts on ebay is....unless it's in the sealed Rolex packaging....it's not Rolex.

My question is....how could he have so many so-called "Rolex" crystals out of packaging??? That's like the Adam Sandler movie where the electronics sales guys says...."it's not Sony, but it's has "Sony Guts".....:D

Edited by btocamelo

What would suck is that if for $5, the Clark Crystal is the same offering..........my belief on Rolex parts on ebay is....unless it's in the sealed Rolex packaging....it's not Rolex.

My question is....how could he have so many so-called "Rolex" crystals out of packaging??? That's like the Adam Sandler movie where the electronics sales guys says...."it's not Sony, but it's has "Sony Guts".....:D

That's really funny because I just bought a new Insignia Plasma after going to the store with intent to purchase a Samsung, but I liked the picture on the Insignia better and the guy said, "I don't know if you knew this or not, but Samsung makes Insignia -- same guts, better price."

I asked, "Then why does the picture on the Samsung look like sh*t, and the Insignia looks brighter and sharper? But for $100 less than the Samsung I won't ask too many questions...."

That's really funny because I just bought a new Insignia Plasma after going to the store with intent to purchase a Samsung, but I liked the picture on the Insignia better and the guy said, "I don't know if you knew this or not, but Samsung makes Insignia -- same guts, better price."

I asked, "Then why does the picture on the Samsung look like sh*t, and the Insignia looks brighter and sharper? But for $100 less than the Samsung I won't ask too many questions...."

people at best buy dont know what the hell theyre talking about, i know, my friend used to work there, gave me his staff discount all the time and always had to push monster products and their service plan. the mark up on monster products is 65% and the mark up on rocket fish which is bestbuy house brand made in china can be upto literally 1000% for hdmi cables. slide the decimal spot over one to the left and thats what the staff can purchase them for. and to tell you the truth the rocket fish hdmi cables are just as good as the monster hdmi cables, in fact the RF brand push more bandwidth, not that it really matters for typical runs of 12feet or so, its ALL DIGITAL!. as for the insignia having samsung guts i would disagree, perhaps it shares certain components made by foxconn in TW , BUT, the samsung wouldnt allow insignia (best buy house brand) to use their video processors and other technology they developed like that DLNA or whatever it was. why would they? the insignia is probably generic audio and video processors bought in bulk the screen may be made by LG, who also makes the apple cinema display but if you think its samsung parts dont kid yourself. they probably share the same generic parts thats all. insignia used to be good for the price but with brand name prices dropping theres little point in buying one. the reason it looked better in the store was probably setup, some customer probably messed around with it before you saw it or it had a bad f connection connection streaming the hd stuff. if set up correctly the samsung would probably be crisper and more vivid side by side. but in the end all that matters is that you like it, and hopefully got a good price on it. now if you said you chose samsung over sony there would be no question you did the right thing, sony is way overpriced especially when competing with samsungs displays.

My question is....how could he have so many so-called "Rolex" crystals out of packaging???

could be all seconds, rolex has to do something with all the parts they steal..i mean systematically destroy from you when you send your watch for servicing.

could be he bought them from a watchmaker who had a parts account with rolex and held on to the old crystals he serviced then sold them all when he retired.

:pardon:

"My question is....how could he have so many so-called "Rolex" crystals out of packaging???"

I bought a batch of 'retired watchmaker parts' a few years ago and there were 10 or 12 genuine rolex crystals in 'Bestfit' packages labeled 'Genuine Rolex Part'. A few months ago I bought some nos genuine rolex mainsprings and they were in 'Bestfit' packages.

Many years ago when supply houses sold genuine rolex parts, some parts came in envelopes signed by the company that sold them with no rolex trademark.

Maybe these crystals came from a similar source.

My older genuine rolex crystals came in green and white paper envelopes (tudor in red and white) with the rolex logo and 'rolex watch USA inc...genuine materials' printed on them and many have the part number hand printed instead of stamped. They were packaged in NYC and probably came in unmarked boxes or envelopes to begin with. I stopped selling genuine crystals in paper envelopes to 'strangers' because I can not prove they are genuine.

Acrylic crystals now come in rolex signed heat sealed plastic bags but there may be fakes by now.

If I was making a replica or Frankenstein watch, I would probably go with an aft/mkt crystal anyway. After you find what you want, buy a few spares because you can not count on the exact same crystal being available for long.