When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project Failed!

panerai153

Several months ago, I decided to try to put together a 6538 with a few better aftermarket parts and a slow beat movement. I was able to find a watch on the sales forum from a fellow member. From the get go it seemed like this was a "bad luck" project. All of you guys who have undertaken mods know that some projects seem to go together really seamlessly, while others never seem to ever get off the ground. This one is one of those. First off I bought a better insert from ND trading. Ubi was kind enough to try to age it for me. Well, long story short, this one had some weird paint that started to bubble when he tried to age the insert. So right off, scratch one insert!!, then I got a crystal from Clark and a 8mm Brevet crown/tube from Natalie's Passion on Ebay. I already had a NOS 2846-2 in a donor watch, so after realizing that the insert wasn't going to work, I went ahead and sent everything up to Ziggy. I wanted to have him re lume the dial and hands, put a pearl in the old insert, replace the crown/tube and replace the crystal with one that wasn't so tall.

Well, last week i got an email from him with the bad news. First off the genuine size tube is too big for the case. If you drill it out big enough to accept the tube, it will literally be drilled through the bottom edge of the mid case!!, then when he took the movement out, the crystal fell out!!. It seems that this particular case is constructed for a sapphire crystal with compression ring, and there is no way to fit an acrylic crystal, without just sitting it in a glob of glue (Not his words, but what I gathered from his description) I suppose the rep makers had some newer model cases that use sapphire crystals, and they "adapted" them to take an acrylic.

After looking at my options, which are almost nil, I decided to just junk the project and save all the parts for something else. Lesson learned, when you start out with pig, no matter how much lipstick you put on her, she's still a pig.These watches are pigs. Nothing normal fits correctly. I suppose you could put all the parts back that came with the watch, maybe relume the hands/dial and a few other little "tweaks" but as far as building a really quality modded "big crown", It just ain't going to happen. So my advice to anyone who wants to build a 6538 or any other Rolex or Tudor 7922 "Big Crown", you will need to start with a better case, at least one that accepts genuine or quality aftermarket parts.Of course when you do that, you are looking at around 1k for the case, crown, insert and crystal, plus the dial and movement. Easily could go over 1.5k if you do it right, and that is figuring that you could use a spacer ring and get an ETA movement to fit. Otherwise finding a good 1030 movement, well good luck with that!

One thing I've learned from this is you never stop learning from these experiences. Another thing with reps, never take anything for granted, and never,never, ever assume that just because the rep makers say it's made with a genuine watch as a model, or it's 1:1 correct, that it really is, or that parts that you think should just drop in, will actually fit at all. And in some cases, such as mine, no matter what you do, it just won't work.I'm sorry that it didn't work out, but it's no ones fault, not even those guys who built it. They didn't sell it as a "moddable "watch, so while it's design was severely compromised, without fooling with it, it probably would have lasted a while.As for me, I believe my "Big Crown" itch will be scratched by my MKII Kingston, once I get it. It's not a Rolex, but it's a really nice watch, and I know it's well put together. I hope this helps others who are contemplating one of these builds. At least it sort of lets you know where the land mines are, before you step on one.

Sorry to hear that. You might be able to salvage the project by using other than gen parts, but that might not be what you want. The big crown brevet on Josh's no crown-guard Subs have a smaller diameter crown tube than the crown/tube I got from David. Davids' tube measures 3.8mm where it screws into the case. The one on the Sub measures 3.8mm on the threads into the crown. That suggests that the threads into the case are a smaller diameter. As to the crystal, Clark's can help. If you get the right diameter you can use UV cement to hold it in. I did that on a watch for my girlfriend, and after curing filled the gap with UV glue and cured in the sun again. No leaks and it is in there solid. It was sanded down to the height needed, and I added a cyclops to it.

It's a thought.

....As for me, I believe my "Big Crown" itch will be scratched by my MKII Kingston, once I get it. It's not a Rolex, but it's a really nice watch, and I know it's well put together.

This is exactly what I am hoping for as well. None the less, sorry to hear about the project.

josh-5508.jpg

That looks like the one I modded into a 6204, and where I got the dimensions of the crown tube from. Mine should have the 6mm + crown, but I still have the big crown on it until I find one that doesn't cost more than the watch did. Mine reads 5508- 6538 in between the lugs, and with just a bit of modding, I think it looks very good.

62047.jpg

That looks like the one I modded into a 6204, and where I got the dimensions of the crown tube from. Mine should have the 6mm + crown, but I still have the big crown on it until I find one that doesn't cost more than the watch did. Mine reads 5508- 6538 in between the lugs, and with just a bit of modding, I think it looks very good.

62047.jpg

That sounds like mine. It has the 5508-6538 between the lugs. originally from Mary.

I'll probably just cut my losses and try to sell some of the parts that I bought for this project. I'm not keen on trying to put something together with parts that don't fit properly. I'm not criticizing anyone who glues in dials, crystals, etc. but in the genuine world, as well as better reps, it's not done, and probably because in the long term they don't hold up as well as conventional builds.

The 6204 should have a 5.3mm crown AFAIK. For more information, see this post on VRF: http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/message/1233081080/Here+are+the+two+pages+for+the+1973+R20+..+should+be+helpful

Even if it is maybe not that accurate, the new case from Josh (5510) is better than the MBK (low crown position) and could probably take a bigger 8mm crown:

josh-5508.jpg

Looks actually not so bad after some modifications:

5510JB-1-3.jpg

Donnerix,

WOW!! These look amazing with the aging!!

One question,

Q- Do you know if the inserts from these reps will fit in gen bezels? Are the outer diameters the same, or are josh's bigger?

Cheers

Eddog

Edited by eddog

Me thinks you are too quick to throw in the towel. No pain, no gain. ;)

653610042__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

(1030-powered)

Were it me & the case did not work out, instead of shelving the project, I would get another (proper) case & soldier on. I think the best buy in cases for you is Yuki (there are slightly more accurate cases at considerably more money).

If you want a tough project, try a DW Daytona. :blink:

That sounds like mine. It has the 5508-6538 between the lugs. originally from Mary.

I'll probably just cut my losses and try to sell some of the parts that I bought for this project. I'm not keen on trying to put something together with parts that don't fit properly. I'm not criticizing anyone who glues in dials, crystals, etc. but in the genuine world, as well as better reps, it's not done, and probably because in the long term they don't hold up as well as conventional builds.

That is certainly your choice. But it is my understanding that the plastic crystal are glued in on gens. Is that not right?

The 6204 should have a 5.3mm crown AFAIK. For more information, see this post on VRF: http://www.network54...ould+be+helpful

5.3? Does it ever stop!!!!

OK, this is the watch I was trying to emulate, making it a 'Submariner' rather than a 'Sub Aqua'. I simply liked the look very much. In the write up, Stefano said they used both the 5.3mm and later the 6mm crowns. Good old Rolex! And I'd bet if you sent it in for service Rolex would have replaced it with a big crown anyway. It's enough to drive a sane person crazy! Lol!

Stefano Sub Aqua

Edited by JoeyB

OK, this is the watch I was trying to emulate, making it a 'Submariner' rather than a 'Sub Aqua'. I simply liked the look very much. In the write up, Stefano said they used both the 5.3mm and later the 6mm crowns. Good old Rolex! And I'd bet if you sent it in for service Rolex would have replaced it with a big crown anyway. It's enough to drive a sane person crazy! Lol!

If the watch had the A260 (which powers my 6202 Deluxe), it would have a 5.3mm crown

1000uses0062__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

If it had the later 1030, it would have a 6.0mm crown

0081-2.jpg

Me thinks you are too quick to throw in the towel. No pain, no gain. ;)

653610042__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

(1030-powered)

Were it me & the case did not work out, instead of shelving the project, I would get another (proper) case & soldier on. I think the best buy in cases for you is Yuki (there are slightly more accurate cases at considerably more money).

If you want a tough project, try a DW Daytona. :blink:

Freddy you are probably correct. I might be acting a little on the hasty side. Just a disappointment that it wouldn't go together after quite a bit of searching and gathering parts. I may well do what you suggested,I really like the old "big crown" watches (Rolex and Tudor) and was looking forward to having one that I could wear. I was wondering if a Yuki case could be adapted for an ETA movement, then I went to his website and saw a 6538 with a 2824 movement and their adapter ring. I would prefer to put a slow beat movement in if it could be adapted. I'll just have to see what unfolds in the next few weeks. It's getting to be summer time here, and the non-watch projects go to the front of the line.Thanks for the "kick in the rear" to get me thinking!!

Heres my 6538 from Josh... slightly modded of course. Yuki 7206 bracelet.

Total cost is about $350 plus labour to age everything accordingly. Easy build, but the ETA copy movement died in 2 weeks so now its sitting in my parts drawer waiting on a new movement.

post-6336-0-01293900-1305675979.jpg

post-6336-0-99177100-1305676108.jpg

• 1 month later...

:( Sorry that this one went south so quickly, A. Man... Talk about a buzz kill. I've been on the hunt for a replacement insert after trashing the last one; I'm going to keep on looking for a suitable examle for the day when (not if) you pick the 6538 project up again ;)

If I can be of help in any way, please give me a holler.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...