When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's taken 6 years, but finally scammed by Dr Strangelove

TK471

Our investigation so far has revealed scams on multiple sites. He goes by multiple IDs using multiple email addresses and a small set of IP addresses.

Dr. Strangelove is now banned, IPs blocked as well as email address.

I think that one thing that is feasible is, before you do a trade or buy from someone who is unknown to you, ask him/her for references. Who has he done business with before on the forum. Also wouldn't hurt to post a thread " Has anyone done business with member XXX"? I realize that sometimes we get caught up in a deal and we suffer "temporary insanity". We are so eager to be first in line that we don't stop and think. When we throw caution to the wind, we are setting ourselves up for a scam. Every genuine deal I have made on WUS, TZ and other genuine sales forums was preceded by and exchange of references. Also most folks will request that if you are happy with the deal, would you leave a "Good Guy" feedback on the forum. I have actually had email request for references from buyers inquiring about a watch I sold or bought a couple of years back. They are looking at doing a deal with the party I dealt with and they want to know if my deal with him went OK.

Certainly could happen anywhere, but there was a fellow from Mexico around a year ago that came on the forum, made a couple of legit deals, and then scammed several members out of a pretty good bit of money. He was very nice, very accommodating, and what he was doing was similar to what this guy pulled. He would inquire about a trade, and usually what he was trading seemed like a great deal, but after you sent him your watch, you got nothing in return.I'm sure some of you will remember him. I got scammed by him for some genuine parts that were supposed to be sent with a watch I traded.

Learned my lesson. No deals with unknowns, no deals with folks with no or very limited numbers of posts, and even folks who have a fair number of posts, but haven't been around long, if their posts don't have any substance. You can run your post count up to several hundred over a fairly short period of time, if they are all, "Nice watch, love your strap,etc." Of course this isn't foolproof, because lots of 100% honest folks join the forum every month, but before I send them my hard earned money, I'm going to have to see some effort on their part to at least act like they are and interested, contributing member.

there was a fellow from Mexico around a year ago that came on the forum, made a couple of legit deals, and then scammed several members out of a pretty good bit of money. He was very nice, very accommodating, and what he was doing was similar to what this guy pulled. He would inquire about a trade, and usually what he was trading seemed like a great deal, but after you sent him your watch, you got nothing in return.I'm sure some of you will remember him. I got scammed by him for some genuine parts that were supposed to be sent with a watch I traded.

We think this is the same animal panerai153!

Raul Gomez and Mauricio Gomez are names we have.

I think he was vintage 1680 when he scammed here last.

We will be posting full details in a seperate thread shortly.

Offshore

The same guy scammed someone on another rep forum out of a trade. At this point I'd advise people not to do any business with anyone in Mexico (no offense) until this guy is found and eliminated. He's scammed a number of people over months if not years. He hides for awhile then pops up and scams again. He's a serial scammer and has scammed not only watch boards but car boards and others, possibly dozens of people. Given the fact that he lives in mexico it's only a matter of time before his headless body is found in a pit, but until then I'd stay away.

This sort of stuff sux, especially for us newbies. It's hard enough to deal with learning the lingo, trying to contribute to the forum and everything else, but scams hurt we newbies as well. We are looked at automatically (justifiably so) with a raised eyebrow and a "who are you?" sniff.

That adds to a place being stuffy and snobbish, although it's all in the safety of every buyer/trader. It's just sad. I realize why at our lawn mower forum, the admin won't allow direct member-to-member trading or selling on the site, although many of us have suggested a topic for it. He wants to avoid this kinda crap.

Again, just plain damned sad. :(