When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I got my first replica. What i have to do?

ryaku

Always a good idea to polish a new arrival. You'll love it even more. I presume your new watch is SS. I use a cloth sold specifically for polishing jewelry--one half has a gentle cleaner, the other half provides a deep polish. Cost $5 or so.

Other people have thier own solutions, including Cape Cod cloth, car wax/cleaners, but you should search the forum for specifics.

Skip the soft scrub and brillo pad. :Jumpy:

Some people say it is best not to set date when time is near 12:00. Many date machanisms are a bit different. My suggestion is to be extra gentle as you become familiar with your watch.

Always a good idea to polish a new arrival. You'll love it even more. I presume your new watch is SS. I use a cloth sold specifically for polishing jewelry--one half has a gentle cleaner, the other half provides a deep polish. Cost $5 or so.

Other people have thier own solutions, including Cape Cod cloth, car wax/cleaners, but you should search the forum for specifics.

Skip the soft scrub and brillo pad. :Jumpy:

Some people say it is best not to set date when time is near 12:00. Many date machanisms are a bit different. My suggestion is to be extra gentle as you become familiar with your watch.

Yes, it should be SS.

Thanks all, now i'm fully easy. ;):p

As you dont say what it is , its hard to advise......but in general terms:

It will probably arrive with plastic around the bracelet (assuming it has one, not a strap) try as best you can to unwrap this and not tug and rip at it as this only forces bits of plastic into the links and they are doubly hard to get out.

Plastic stickers may be front and back (not to be confused with Rolex holograms!) and need removal by hand and posibly cleaning off residual 'sticky' from the case back. If theres a bezel (damned Rollies again) this may have a plasic sticker over it too.

Crown and pushers(if any) may have a blue transfer protector which needs gentle removal too.

Whatever setting you do (unless it is a simple configuration of just Hour hand minute hand and seconds hand) first put the time to 6 oclock then set the date , day , month whatever. This prevents clashing with the mechanisms changeover of these functions (nasty!).

Everyone has their preferences but I like to set all the date/day etc to yesterday and then advance the time thru to the correct setting.

Hope this ramble helps!

Edited by narikaa

One other very, very important point.

If your watch comes with a THIN RED LINE, do not remove it. If you do, the TRL police (closely affiliated with the mattress sticker SWAT team), will be after you in no time.

Nah.....Ive been sticking TRLs on top of each other for ages now each time I remove one...got a stack over 2.5" high off my desk.....not a TRL policeperson anywhere to be seen!! :whistling:

Edited by narikaa

Also depending on the watch and your tastes you may want to have it modded/serviced (i.e. if you get one with a 7750 service it IMMEDIATELY!!). As far as modding, I have yet to mod any of my watches but may do so in the future. It's kind of a personal taste thing and also how close to gen you want to get. Best of all enjoy your new toy and before you know it you'll be looking around for your next one! :lol:

Oh yea, welcome! :p

It will probably arrive with plastic around the bracelet (assuming it has one, not a strap) try as best you can to unwrap this and not tug and rip at it as this only forces bits of plastic into the links and they are doubly hard to get out.

Plastic stickers may be front and back (not to be confused with Rolex holograms!) and need removal by hand and posibly cleaning off residual 'sticky' from the case back. If theres a bezel (damned Rollies again) this may have a plasic sticker over it too.

Crown and pushers(if any) may have a blue transfer protector which needs gentle removal too.

Whatever setting you do (unless it is a simple configuration of just Hour hand minute hand and seconds hand) first put the time to 6 oclock then set the date , day , month whatever. This prevents clashing with the mechanisms changeover of these functions (nasty!).

Everyone has their preferences but I like to set all the date/day etc to yesterday and then advance the time thru to the correct setting.

Hope this ramble helps!

Awesome post, That's what i meant with "don't take anything for granted"

Thanks narikaa. B)

Please don't take anything for granted. :p

In that case ... Stainless Steel watch? Wait until late in the day to set your strap and make sure the watch is warm.

If you like your watches tight and you set it cold in the morning, at the end of the day your hand will fall off. Throughout the day, your wrist expands, and the metal on the band expands with warmth, causing it to get tighter.

The size should be set slightly too large and you should use the spring bars in the buckle to fine-tune it smaller. If you remember, try to set the strap just before going to bed. It'll feel cold and loose in the morning, but this is normal.

In that case ... Stainless Steel watch? Wait until late in the day to set your strap and make sure the watch is warm.

If you like your watches tight and you set it cold in the morning, at the end of the day your hand will fall off. Throughout the day, your wrist expands, and the metal on the band expands with warmth, causing it to get tighter.

The size should be set slightly too large and you should use the spring bars in the buckle to fine-tune it smaller. If you remember, try to set the strap just before going to bed. It'll feel cold and loose in the morning, but this is normal.

Another very useful post, thanks.

I'll post pics as soon as i get my new watch. :)

Hope this ramble helps!

all of this is very good advice. hope you are happy with your new puchase.

Also depending on the watch and your tastes you may want to have it modded/serviced (i.e. if you get one with a 7750 service it IMMEDIATELY!!). As far as modding, I have yet to mod any of my watches but may do so in the future. It's kind of a personal taste thing and also how close to gen you want to get. Best of all enjoy your new toy and before you know it you'll be looking around for your next one! :lol:

Oh yea, welcome! :p

My son just gave me a replica sub that a friend of his bought in thailand, i have no clue about watches, is there anyway i can tell if mine has a 7750 movement without going inside the watch, removing the case etc?

My son just gave me a replica sub that a friend of his bought in thailand, i have no clue about watches, is there anyway i can tell if mine has a 7750 movement without going inside the watch, removing the case etc?

Subs don't have 7750s as that's a Chrono movement. You're looking at an ETA in a Sub if it's got a "swiss" movement. Without opening it, or having a reference piece next to it, it's difficult to say, but it's probably a "chinese" movement. I can describe the sound differences, but to be honest, if you've got nothing to compare it with, it's really hard to tell.

You'll note I put quotes around the countries of origin. That's because all Sub movements are chinese, even the swiss/taiwanese ones.