When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Retirement

Finepics

Guys - I do not want a flood of PM's or posts of sympathy but I am announcing my retirement from the upgrading game for a while. I have been making mistakes lately as my eyesight is beginning to suffer from wearing loupes for 16 hours a day (I have to wear them in my day job as well as doing this) and I just cannot afford to make any more errors. I get so many PM's and emails that it is difficult enough finding the time to answer them (which can take hours) let alone do any work. I am really exhausted from so many late nights as it has taken over my whole life lately so that I almost have no time anymore for my GF or myself - I get up at 7am, go to work at 7.45am, start work at 9am, finish at 6pm, get home at 7pm, have dinner and spend an hour with my GF then work on watches until 2am - so I am routinely only getting 4 or 5 hours sleep a night and very very little leisure time. Enough is enough.

This means that I will honour all my agreements with members who have already arranged things with me but I will not be taking on any new work from the new year on a regular basis. I am happy to do one or two re-lumes a month as this only ever started out as a hobby and I think it's better if I keep it that way as I am getting to the stage where what was a hobby has now become a fulltime job and I am beginning to get sick of the sight of watches which is removing my enjoyment of them. My other worry is that the Inland revenue might start to demand income tax from me.

I will continue my work on the datewheels, PVD and AR coats but that's it for the time being and by all means ask me to do something but do not be disappointed if my reply is NO.

My final comment on this is that a rep is just that - a rep. Some of you seem to expect perfection when a relume is done. It will never be perfect as the lume is hand applied unlike the gen which is machine applied. The finish will never be perfect under a loupe but will be fine with the naked eye - so set your sights and expectations a little lower please chaps.

Some of you seem to expect perfection when a relume is done. It will never be perfect as the lume is hand applied unlike the gen which is machine applied...

@Mark: Your work IS perfect. I think the California Dial is a hard one to relume and the work you did on mine is flawless. In fact all the work you did on my 3646 is so good that I only take it off to sleep.

My other watches (fiddy included) are resting on a box for the last few months.

Please Mark do yourself a favor and REST!!! Keep in mind that your eyes are precious and you will not have the chance to get a rep of them!

I am seriously worried with your condition. You already told me about that but I didn't understood that this was a so serious issue.

Please do ourselves a favour and REST.

I would advise you to slow down and take it easy. We prefer your health to your talent and generosity.

Your friend,

Marco

Glad to hear you caught on to this quickly! I commend you for the abuse you must have taken when doing your tedious tasks on our watches...

When fun becomes work. it's time to stop and re-group!

I also want to say what a great asset you are to these forums. :group:

Cheers, :3a:

-MM

Your a smart man Mark and you have shown that again by realising that it's time to take a break.

I think it might be time to get a bit of enjoyment back in to the picture, do a Ubi and just work on your own watches, make everyone jealous that's where the fun is......................just ask Randy! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

Guys - I do not want a flood of PM's or posts of sympathy but I am announcing my retirement from the upgrading game for a while. I have been making mistakes lately as my eyesight is beginning to suffer from wearing loupes for 16 hours a day (I have to wear them in my day job as well as doing this) and I just cannot afford to make any more errors. I get so many PM's and emails that it is difficult enough finding the time to answer them (which can take hours) let alone do any work. I am really exhausted from so many late nights as it has taken over my whole life lately so that I almost have no time anymore for my GF or myself - I get up at 7am, go to work at 7.45am, start work at 9am, finish at 6pm, get home at 7pm, have dinner and spend an hour with my GF then work on watches until 2am - so I am routinely only getting 4 or 5 hours sleep a night and very very little leisure time. Enough is enough.

This means that I will honour all my agreements with members who have already arranged things with me but I will not be taking on any new work from the new year on a regular basis. I am happy to do one or two re-lumes a month as this only ever started out as a hobby and I think it's better if I keep it that way as I am getting to the stage where what was a hobby has now become a fulltime job and I am beginning to get sick of the sight of watches which is removing my enjoyment of them. My other worry is that the Inland revenue might start to demand income tax from me.

I will continue my work on the datewheels, PVD and AR coats but that's it for the time being and by all means ask me to do something but do not be disappointed if my reply is NO.

My final comment on this is that a rep is just that - a rep. Some of you seem to expect perfection when a relume is done. It will never be perfect as the lume is hand applied unlike the gen which is machine applied. The finish will never be perfect under a loupe but will be fine with the naked eye - so set your sights and expectations a little lower please chaps.

What a class act.

I've never done business with you, but I know your reputation. I commend you for realizing that this rep thing is just about some silly fake watches - friends, family, business and life cannot take a back seat to that.

I think people need hobbies to some extent, and I know my wife is very tolerant, but many men my age do "Middle Age Crazy," and spend more on some Bimbo in a week or two than those of us who collect these things ever do. In the process, they destroy trust and damage their families.

Like I said, it's just fake watches - but it's a relatively harmless thing to enjoy.

Personally, I have enjoyed many fine posts from you, and benefitted by what you have chosen to share. Come and go as best suits you and your family, but know that your contributions have not gone unnoticed.

Thank you for that.

Bill

Hi Mark,

your decision makes sense. The time of your post (4:14 AM) is enough to get a hint of the pressure you are exposed to.

Surely you are one of the greatest assets to our community (personally I think THE greatest), but we all want that your unbelievable passion and involvement are at the level of your enjoyment, not of a sacrifice of yours and your real life.

In the past few weeks and months I pointed in your direction some members who were still looking for 'our' cyclops (we may even have cross-referenced one of them between the two of us :) ). I apologize if I added to your work load that way, I was unaware of the thing.

And that is also the reason that I am posting this here instead of sending you a PM.

Stay well, my friend.

(But, btw, your relume work on my 028 stays perfect also when examined by a loupe :D)

Guys - I'm very touched by your support and comments. I have never before felt that I have so many friends and I have met several of you now and have friends in countries that I could never have imagined - that for me is worth more than a watch (rep or gen).

As I siad I am not leaving the boards at all and will continue to post and answer questions - I just need a bit more time for myself and my own projects at a leisurely pace. Now where did I put that Angelus!!!

I am new on this forum, just 3 months !! And it's the first internet forum in wich i became member and have a real interest. You retirement and all the comments that it has generated, really show how people here are passionated and linked between them, even if they are not all aware of it. It's not just a forum where you can get information to buy the best rep cause you don't have the money to buy the gen, it's really a place for passionated watch people (and sure that you know much better about watch, movt, etc.. than people who have gen). So i haven't have the opportunity to work with you, but read you a lot.

Thanks for all you have made, and all you will do for the community (and perhaps see you on a GTG in Paris if you come in France) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Eric

Honestly when i first read the topic title it thought "ho [censored]!"

You might not allways realize it but your contribution to this forum is truly apreciated, even by people you never had direct contact with.

After reading your post and realising you were not living, but just taking back time for other things in your life, i can only tell yo that you are soooo right.

Especially if it was reaching the point it was not fun anymore.

Good to hear you will still be around, but without too much preshure ...

I think everybody here is glad you realized in time what is important and what is not. Some realized that too late and have left for good. So take a break have a lot of fun and enjoy life, we are only here once (or you have to beliefe that reincarnation thingy). :)

Take care!

I know we talked about the time you were putting into this hobby a while back over a Pizza and I'm not surprised to read this, Mark. What's surprised me is that it's taken as long as it has.

Take a break, relax and love your own watches over again. You deserve it.

Now, about that beer sometime? :)

Hey Mark.

Noone's a machine, and it's good that you're smart enough to know when you're doing too much.

I was pretty late coming to you with my Pam needs and problems - due to me only learning to love the Pams recently - but you always came through.

I can't wait to get my PVDd 112H back with its new swiss movement, and I wish you well in the future. I'm glad to hear you'll still be sharing you knowledge here.

I was away on a business trip for the past 6 days, and must have missed this one while trying to catch up with the news...

Sorry to hear about how this has had a negative affect on you Mark, your diligence and contributions are unmatched, as is your workmanship...

I fully understand and can sympathise with your position, it can get overwhelling at times.

Look forward to seeing your contributions, and take some time out for what is important in life, the GF comes to mind...

You know how to reach me on email if you need anything.

All the best,

RG