When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Death, the unwanted visitor

By-Tor

What a day. One of my best friends died yesterday. He was only 44 years old.

Brain cancer. His wife just called me.

What makes it very unfair is that it was his second cancer. He had a thyroid cancer when he was 25. And this brain cancer was completely unrelated to that. Some people simply don't get very good playing cards for life.

This guy lived extremely healthy lifestyle and was one of the best and most honorable, unselfish men I've ever known. We can always name a few that nobody has absolutely NOTHING bad to say about... this guy was one of those people.

He spent his last months in a pallative care. I knew about this illness since the day one, but I was wondering why stopped answering my phone calls... he didn't want me to know. He didn't want to cause stress to others.

Just imagine to get a disease like brain cancer... you know your days are numbered. And you have to live 2 1/2 years with that kind of fact.

Sometimes we think that there is some kind of "ultimate justice"... and good people will get rewards for their respectful life... from the "Lord" or "God" or something.

When I think about my friend's most terrible fate and years of suffering, I have to say that I don't have much faith left... what happened to him... well that was full of shit. I don't know what to say.

You got that right mate.

Brain cancer is probably the most terrible illness anyone can get. Just imagine what kind of feelings you're experiencing when you first hear the news. Then you and your family have to live with it.

But if there really is a "better place" somewhere, my friend is definitely up there right now.

I'm sorry, B-T. It hurts to lose your friend. It hurts a lot. My best friend died and it's been a year but it was like yesterday. It's a special kind of hurt that just doesn't go away.

I'm sorry.

So sorry to hear about your friend J. It is truly a terrible loss but be assured he is in a better place now. It always amazes me how some people live such a perfect lifestyle and are healthy and yet still get plagued with such a terrible disease. There are never any real answers as to why these things happen. Just know that your friend knows you are thinking of him and that you contributed to his life in a positive way.

Thanks guys.

Not that I wasn't prepared for this. I knew his days were numbered.

His wife told me that if I just knew what kind of pain he went through in the last few months, I'd be happy for his death. His spine cracked, among other things (because of osteporosis caused by the radiation therapy, medication, whatever). He couldn't walk or even move his hands. Constant pain.

What pisses me off that a great human being had to go through this. His wife is a great person too... this is a man who respected life, his friends and relatives. Then there are people who disrespect everyone around them and live happily for 90 years.

Religious people always say that there is a "meaning" for everything. But when something like this happens to your friends or family, you'll get a bit skeptical.

Now that your friend has escaped from all worldly suffering...

He is free of all restraints, and will no longer have to live through this world's cruelty, misery,

distress, pain and hardship.

Perhaps your friend will find serenity now; may you also find peace.

I've experienced the same situation with a family member. He woke up one morning and while he was getting dressed, he couldn't tie his necktie. He'd tied his necktie every day for 20+ years. But he said as he stood there in the mirror that morning, he couldn't make his hands tie the tie. One week later, diagnosed with stage 5 brain cancer. Three agonizing months later, and I mean agonizing, a good man was dead.

It's a cliche, but enjoy every day you have. Life is short.

It's a cliche, but enjoy every day you have. Life is short.

Wise words.

I was 20 just a few moments ago. Now I'm suddenly pushing 40 and my friends and relatives aren't getting any younger, either. That's pretty scary how the time starts to fly after 25.

And when we get older we just have to sacrifice more and more. Family members and friends go... I'm happy that I have a son. He alone makes the life worth living. I didn't realize how important the kids are before I got one.

... I'm happy that I have a son. He alone makes the life worth living. I didn't realize how important the kids are before I got one.

Couldn't agree more. Truly are the fuel of life.

Sorry to hear about your friend BT. Lost my best friend when we were in our 20's in University. One day all good. The next he had some pain in his back. Pushed through finals and went our ways for the summer. Within a week he could no longer move his legs. Then a few weeks later fell to the cancer that was causing the problems. Tough fighter but sadly a battle that could not be won. Time will pass and things will get better but we never forget.

Wise words.

I was 20 just a few moments ago. Now I'm suddenly pushing 40 and my friends and relatives aren't getting any younger, either. That's pretty scary how the time starts to fly after 25.

And when we get older we just have to sacrifice more and more. Family members and friends go... I'm happy that I have a son. He alone makes the life worth living. I didn't realize how important the kids are before I got one.

There's a saying "We never fully understand the love of our parents for us until we become parents ourselves." It's the joy of life, and something nobody should deprive themselves of, IMO.

Sorry to hear of your friend, BT. It's always difficult to watch friends decline and go. I have lost many over the years, at remarkably young ages, including my 6yr old nephew from cancer.

That being said, if you think about it from a statistical point of view, the more of your peers who die young, the better your chances of living to a ripe old age... :whistling:

BT so sorry I'm late to this, I passed over the thread a few times before realising it could be something unrelated to watches.

44 is far to young to go, I lost a buddy of my own to brain cancer but at least he made his mid 60's.

Nothing but time will take away the pain but be glad you had a buddy like that in your life.

Ken

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Sorry to hear this BT.

Lost my mom in cancer 10years ago!

Reading this puts me right back on that day!!!

I will nevet forget it i just have to find away to live with it, the pain will always be there it will never go away!

This %&$§@ disease. Took my mom, almost took my dad - as I'm writing this, my wife speaks with her best friend who's father in law is on Chemo.... I'd gladly give up most of the modern comforts of the 21 century for a cure for this sh!t.

I feel for you...

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Its realy strange!

WE can go to the moon, WE can travel long into space, WE can dive the deepest seas, WE can build wepons that can travel around the world!!!

But WE cant find the cure for cancer! Sometimes i wonder what we use all this money on :(

J,

I send you all the best in dealing with this terrible situation. I will pray for you and your families. I know it seems senseless and no man has an answer. Celebrate the life he lived and the time you shared. Your friend's life can still influence the people you meet and in that you will find comfort.

Love from the hills hills of TN.

-_-

theres a reason Jesus will never return to earth...LAWSUITS

oddly enough it was just today i was pondering the phrase "life's not fair" in response to someone saying something is not fair.

and its true, life isnt. someone who smokes every day of their adult life can live to be 100 while a new born child can die of blood cancer in less than a year.

there are so many children in third world countries that will never realise their potential all because they had the misfortune of being born there.

cherish each day, and discover something about each day that makes you happy.