When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5512/13 and 1680 project

Rolexaddict

I would like to know if some members have experiences/opinions/suggestions and techs comment to share about Yuki 5512, 5513 and 1680 cases.

With a good experience and satisfaction having bought various parts from Yuki like dials, bracelets etc. I would like to know if cases are accurate : As if I look Yuki pics from the 5512 case, it looks fat like a SD case and bezel. If I talk with Yuki, of course, they will tell to me "its Rolex specs..." :whistling:

The project :

My project is to built waterproofed Subs for sale with regulated gen Rolex movts 1570/1520, case, dial, hands, crown and bracelet, all parts coming from Yuki.

The total cost - Yuki prices converted in € - is 1.467 euros for one complete building. I could sell one for... :whistling:

my current 5513 project consists of all gen parts, excluding the case and bracelet links only (gen 580s, and 93150 clasp) gen ETA, everything else is gen rolex

totals around $1300 US with MBW case

its been noted that yukis current case offerings are NOT upto par after supposedly changing manufacturers or tooling resulting in bad looking rehauts. search around there are reviews of his/her new case. in fact there is even a review on yukis site with mention of his her case but in the end the builder used an MBW, the whole review is oddly showcased there. i dont think yuki actually read it or it wouldnt be published there.

my current 5513 project consists of all gen parts, excluding the case and bracelet links only (gen 580s, and 93150 clasp) gen ETA, everything else is gen rolex

totals around $1300 US with MBW case

its been noted that yukis current case offerings are NOT upto par after supposedly changing manufacturers or tooling resulting in bad looking rehauts. search around there are reviews of his/her new case. in fact there is even a review on yukis site with mention of his her case but in the end the builder used an MBW, the whole review is oddly showcased there. i dont think yuki actually read it or it wouldnt be published there.

interesting project and good choice and components compromise,

I want to use a gen movement as I can sell here in Paris very expensive if the movement is a gen, I know some purist who will buy anyway, as I will sell cheaper than a 100% authentic watch

Do you know how to source MBW products ? I am a newbee with this stuff

You are correct.They are too fat.If you remember my 5514 thread it will show the new case. I sanded and polished down the case and added a lower bezel. I think it turned out well but thats a lot of work after spending that much cash. Just my two cents. :g:

yes Scope, now I remember your post, this with the Yuki pics confirm the case is out of specs. I will probably source for MBW cases and take from Yuki dials and Rolex movements

I did the same like you did on your Yuki case, but on a Josh Comex 1665 to convert to a 5514, I removed 1mm of metal from the top of the case, shortened the rehaut high and reduced the bezel thickness from its bottom, looks fine for me

Here's my 1680 with a yuki case in the picture. It is an older yuki case and have replaced it since. For the price, Over $2,000 with gen 1570, gen dial, gen. hands, gen. insert etc...... I have a 5512 project with the same specs as my 1680, I just bought a DW case and will try that for this project. I will only use his mid case as his bezel is not gen. like construction but the upside is his case will accept a gen. 1570.

post-28963-0-75925300-1309183277.jpg

post-28963-0-57686200-1309183317.jpg

"I just bought a DW case and will try that for this project. I will only use his mid case as his bezel is not gen. like construction but the upside is his case will accept a gen. 1570."

I had two of the DW '1680' cases that we got on eBay a while back and they were not gen-spec as they were claimed to be so I sent them back.

Does your case have rounded sides like a DJ? These did.

They also had a very shallow gasket groove in the caseback so a gen-spec gasket would not work...you have to use a thin flat gasket. The rotating bezel was held on the inner bezel by a spring wire and the inner bezel would not work with a gen-spec 127 crystal...it just dropped down over it and the springbar holes were too small for submariner spec springbars.

A 1570/75 with genuine dial fit just fine though.

I came out on the short end on that deal and suspect that DW did too. A guy who worked for us handled the deal because I did not have a PayPal account. There was a delay on delivery of the cases so DW refunded the $$ after a couple months. Then they arrived (ordered 11-26-10 and arrived 2-8-11).

Because they were not gen-spec, I gave them to the PayPay guy to send back. He still had the DW PP refund in his bank account when I gave him the cases to send back because I was still looking for a good 1680 case. Shortly after I gave him the cases to send back, he quit his job for other reasons (too lazy to work) and dropped under the radar with my $$ and probably the DW cases as we had not heard from DW up until he took off.

I bought a DW 1680 case before but was disappointed with the bezel not being gen. like construction and like what you said the caseback. As I said earlier my plans on this case is to put a gen. retaining ring, bezel and gen. caseback. Hopefully it will all fit.

ok, sounds like Yuki sub cases are not better than these cartel cheap reps...

surpassing all previous replications etc.etc... lol,

Just a precision : first issued 5512/13 bezel contruction had just a retaining ring, a washer and the bezel. Late issued cases had a machined gap on the top of the case around the rehaut external wall. It was made to add a gasket to improve the waterproof abilities

I will buy fron NDT, its 230usd more, this put my total production cost of one watch at 1679 usd. I reconfirm, this price is with a gen Rolex movement

ok, sounds like Yuki sub cases are not better than these cartel cheap reps...

surpassing all previous replications etc.etc... lol,

Just a precision : first issued 5512/13 bezel contruction had just a retaining ring, a washer and the bezel. Late issued cases had a machined gap on the top of the case around the rehaut external wall. It was made to add a gasket to improve the waterproof abilities

I will buy fron NDT, its 230usd more, this put my total production cost of one watch at 1679 usd. I reconfirm, this price is with a gen Rolex movement

You said Gen Rolex movement, i am pressuming a 1570. Can you do a breakdown of parts and prices.

Thanks

Wow!

Thanks Ubi! That looks really good. I know what Yuki and DW cases cost and I'm gonna guess Phong's are 1000?

So a guy with gen movement and Phong case would be at least 2000. Double that and you have a nice gen that holds value.

I really wish there were case sets out there without so many flaws that can't be fixed..for an affordable price.

Errr... With genuine movement, dial, hands, 702 crown/tube, bezel, crystal, and bracelet (though it is a 78360/93150/580 hybrid), I am rather embarrassed to say what I've sunk into this one...

ahh...c'mon.. .. there's no one here but us..!

:)

You said Gen Rolex movement, i am pressuming a 1570. Can you do a breakdown of parts and prices.

Thanks

yeah i d like to understand as well how you can do this for $1600

1570 for a 1680 or 1520 for a 5512/13

Prices I mentionned are in euros, actually 1.000,00 usd is only 650,00 euros

My project is based on usd currency but made for an European market (euro zone)

come on guys - get a life ...

spending 1000s of $$z in something that will never be the real deal ...

you know it - everybody who knows Rolex knows it .... just get a used Date Just or something ;)

but Rolexaddict wants to sell them - i hope not as the real deal ?

anyway - why so picky now - you build 1675s out of Sub cases a 5514 form an SD case - what's wrong with you now ? :lol:

cheers,

Frank

It's not bad to get the best you can afford. Though sometimes it is a bit crazy to see how expensive these rep cases go for. Kinda like a Pontiac Fiero Lambo kit. Looks good on paper but the drive is definitely not the same. Personally, If the build is done to prove a point, or to better the original article and thus improve performance and have something unique that no one else has, then go for it.

E

I think it's the capitalist way. If I spend my money, time and intellectual energy building something that is inspired by that which is no longer made, then my time and effort, plus the cost of the parts shall be compensated. If someone wants to give me more than that, then good. This is me just playing Devil's advocate now. If I save someone time and make them happy by doing this, then even better. One can never recover from restoring a Ford Maverick and spending a ton of money on it, or an old lady getting a boob job when she still on a walker. Life is funny like that. Now, when the cases that sale for thousands of dollars are no better than ones that can be purchased for a hundred or a few hundred, then its the buyer's fault for allowing, and sponsoring such behavior.

E