When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to buy a gen Planet Ocean?

slask111

Hi,

I have been around this forum for a few years and the grail for me has always been the Planet Ocean XL. I was just about to press the buy button on a local AD Internet shop but decided to post here first. Where would you buy a Gen Omega online? Im looking for ok service, better aftermarket service and a great price. Downpayments? yeah sure ;)

The local dealer gave me a price at 3.980$ for a 45mm Planet Ocean with black bezel and white numerals. Can that be beaten?

Ill be honest, new or used dosent matter.. but downpayments is important to me. I deserve a gen.. i just cant afford it straight up ;)

Hmm, you could probably get a much better deal on a used PO, but I'm not sure if a private seller would be willing to do a payment plan. Take a look at the watchuseek.com sales forum, there are tons of used gens for sale. You could always at least ask about payment plans, right?

Best price can only be achieved with cash up front. Nothing to barter with = full retail price. Noone will give you a discount AND a payment plan. Start saving those pennies mate :)

Mmhhh. When i talk to my friends and mention that i can get a Gen planet ocean for about 4.000$ they just think im crazy. But for me (us), who se IWC, AP, Rolex etc retail prices 4.000$ is a bargain. Entry level so to speak...

Four years ago 200$ was insaine for a watch..

I know what you mean, slask.

Just the other day my i had a friend who bought a 200$ DKNY watch and everyone was saying how he's willing to spend big bucks on a watch.

You should see the reaction over an entry-level TAG.

I didn't wish to spoil his good mood by saying he overpaid massively. :whistling:

@slask: Have you considered the 42mm version? I think it's much nicer than the mumbo-jumbo XL (45mm).

Once again RobbieG's photos are a good reference.

POwrista.jpg

Learning as much as you can regarding the rep vs gen, then you will know what to look for to make sure it's gen when buying one from someone. I would keep an eye on EBay. I bought mine two years ago from eBay for $1500 for a 45mm PO with white numerals.

Hi

Just a thought but if you really want a Gen on a payment plan

why not look at getting a credit card with an intro deal .

They offer new cards with a transfer deal of 2 - 3 % for 6 to 12 months.

Then buy the watch on a credit card and transfer the amount to your new card with the special deal.

You can then pay off the balance over the intro period with real low interest.

WARNING check the creditcard terms and conditions and DON'T spend any more on the card and pay off the whole amount

within the intro period.

I did this for some Pool fencing when i moved into a new house and saved hundreds of dollars and had the goods upfront.

BUT beware of the terms and conditions and pay all payments on time.

Just a suggestion

Cobra

I bought a gen Planet Ocean earlier this year, with the intention to buy the 45mm. The 45 looked ridiculous on my wrist, and realizing that big watches are a fad that will eventually pass...I went for the 42 with orange 12, 6 and 9. I bought it in person at an AD. While I did pay just under 4k, that is actually a very good price in Canada, and was almost $1000 below retail.

Edited by Stratocaster

Here's what a wise man told be about buying toys and getting into hobbies; if you can't afford it, don't get into it.

Why spend $4000 on a watch that will cost you much more when you are paying interest on it? More than likely you will be over paying.

Financing a watch seems silly.

I bought a gen Planet Ocean earlier this year, with the intention to buy the 45mm. The 45 looked ridiculous on my wrist, and realizing that big watches are a fad that will eventually pass...I went for the 42 with orange 12, 6 and 9. I bought it in person at an AD. While I did pay just under 4k, that is actually a very good price in Canada, and was almost $1000 below retail.

Big watches on small wrists will pass, but big watches on big wrists where they look good will continue on. They usually look really good on the right people.

Thnx for all the input. I have a deal on a gen 45mm that gives me a 12 month payment plan without extra charges. Just a straigt downpayment. I have owned both the 42 and 45mm rep and i feel that the 45mm is the one for me, even though i have cinda small wrists. The 42 is just a tad to small for my taste. And i agree with previous speakers, you shouldnt buy stuff that you cant afford.. but i dont want to wait 12 months to get one..

Im also looking into a rep franken. I have not liked the AR and pearl on the reps and thats why i dont have any Planet Ocean reps anymore. But with thoose two problems sorted.. a franken might just be what i should look for...

Thnx for all the input. I have a deal on a gen 45mm that gives me a 12 month payment plan without extra charges. Just a straigt downpayment. I have owned both the 42 and 45mm rep and i feel that the 45mm is the one for me, even though i have cinda small wrists. The 42 is just a tad to small for my taste. And i agree with previous speakers, you shouldnt buy stuff that you cant afford.. but i dont want to wait 12 months to get one..

Im also looking into a rep franken. I have not liked the AR and pearl on the reps and thats why i dont have any Planet Ocean reps anymore. But with thoose two problems sorted.. a franken might just be what i should look for...

I have seen a few frankens with gen crystals and gen insert. Even with these mods the cost should be around $1000.

Now the dilemma is to choose between a 1k franken or a 2k gen (slightly used but in VGC). :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You know that the new one is scheduled to be released this fall?

Cal. 8500 full in-house movement, better bracelet but higher price. With discount you should be able to get one at about full retail of the current model. I don't think that the current ones will hold their value after the new one is released, so they should become cheaper. That's my opinion, others argue that due to the significant price increase second hand models of the current line-up will be in even more demand and thus will increase in price...

Here's a bad picture of the new one.

Omega-Seamaster-Planet-Ocean-Capri-15.jpg

Edit: Here's a review of the new titanium version, internals are the same.

I just acquired a franken planet ocean myself....it even has a gen bracelet! Truth is, I still want the genuine article. Something about the 100% real deal that is amazing. Biggest tell on my franken is the A/R. After all of the mods (gen dial, handset, crown, bracelet, etc...) an educated watch collector will be able to tell simply by seeing the A/R. At some point you have to stop with the gen parts on some of our project though....the cost to build them gets to close to buying the real deal it doesn't make sense anymore. However, with the latest edition of the planet ocean watches I've thought about using colorless A/R instead. That would be accurate since Omega changed it themselves.

See what I mean....it never ends ;)

I have the gen PO. It is a stunning watch. Keep in mind a lot of wis take the ar off the watch by choice, so that maynot be such a big thing. Also If you'll going to get one you may thing twice about cause the prices seem to be moving up since he new PO ($5000) are just out of reach for a lot of people,

I "think" the going price for a 42 is around $2000 on a strap and $2400 on a bracelet.

Also the watch I had to have 12 months ago have since be either sold, trade or just doesn't get wrist time.

Here is a pic of mine on mesh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkiadcaad0b-0991-8ef9.jpg

Edited by Xspect

Ah yes the new model. Seems like a pretty good raise in cost though. I love the Titanium with blue dial. But 5.000-8.000$ is just insaine for a gen PO. I rather wait/hope for the old version to go down in price.

I so understand what you mean FROGMAN regarding the franken. There is just nothing compared to a gen i guess. To be honest, i have no idea what to do. Maybe get the Superocean II haha, thoose are good priced atlest ;)

slask111,

I understand where you are at right now. Don't feel like you have to settle or compromise concerning the gen planet ocean. Although the Breitling SuperOcean Abyss (I believe that's the one you are talking about) is a good alternative you're always going to go back to the PO. The reason I said I understand is I did something similar.....I have wanted a gen planet ocean for almost 2 years now and each time I end up buying a different gen because I haven't been able to find a used one when I have the cash in hand. I purchased a gen breitling superocean and love it, but I still want the Planet Ocean. Okay, enough rambling......let me get to my point....If you really think this is a watch you will keep and you don't plan to sell it down the road I'd recommend buying it new from the AD. Take advantage of the payment plans (probably some sort of layaway or credit card) and just enjoy the hell out of the watch. However, if you think you may want to upgrade or sell it down the road for something else then hold off and just save up the cash. You're going to find a good deal on a used Planet Ocean, but you will need the cash ready to go when you find it.....that's always been my downfall....I always find another watch I want before a Planet Ocean goes up for sale :).

Don't do as I do....be patient......now, that's my point and the moral to my story....LOL! Man, didn't think I'd get there today.

Wise words FROGMAN, thank you for that. I know what you mean. I have as i said earlier had both the 45 and 42mm rep and have always felt that i just neeeed the gen. Its the grail for me. I do love the Abyss aswell, the 44mm. But that is a new watch and i feel that i havent had the same "must have before i die" feeling about it. You are right, i should go to that AD and get a good deal for a brand new one. Downpayment or not, i know i will enjoy every second of owning that watch. This is the "bad" road with this forum. First reps.. then gens ;)

Now.. i can live with a rep Abyss 44mm when/if thats avalile.. but a gen Planet Ocean is what i really need to own.

Thnx for all the input. I have realised that even if my local AD is not the best deal.. its still a gen, and i will love it.. whatever the cost.

Hi Slask,

I bought my PO Chrono at "Wortmann Uhren". I was very satisfied with his service, he replied the e-mails very fast and always reachable by phone (called him a couple of times).

He´s definetly a reliable online Dealer and the prices he can offer for new and unused watches, especialy Omega, were better than everything i had been offered by any AD or other online Dealer.

Calculating his prices i would say the PO with bracelet could cost sth. around 3500$ including shippment.

Just try to shoot him a mail.

Good luck,

DROLSON