When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Getting Even With Tourneau

rgriffith24

The local Tourneau Dealer, Rolex Boutique in King of Prussia PA. got hit by 3 smash and grab thieves yesterday. They got away with $576,000 worth of watches, primarily Rolexes. Police don't have any suspects yet. Maybe poetic Justice for the number of times they ripped off customers?

Nah.. I'm sure insurance has them covered.. however, they will probably have to screw over a few more customers to offset the hike in their insurance premium.

Trust me... their insurance premium has not risen.. As a jewelry shop.. their insurance is already in the highest bracket... they pay out the balls for insurance and it's not getting any higher because their risk of selling is not getting any higher..

Speaking of smash and grabs here is a similar anecdote I discovered a couple of days ago. I visit many of the dedicated brand boutiques in my city and one of them is AP. Many of them have buzzers to let customers in but it has always infuriated me that the AP boutique is the only one with a two door system where you have to wait for one door to close to be able to even open the next one. I complained to my salesman the other day and he told me that in 2004 eight guys in ski masks completely cleaned out the entire boutique. They were all caught though. Not that this has anything to do with the thread but I thought folks might find it interesting.

Very interesting watchmeister, I frequent King of Prussia mall often never been to Tourneau though. I know Cartier has an armed scurity guard and Tiffany has a hefty bouncer looking fellow. Wonder if Tourneau had any of this type of protection?

I went to Tourneau in Atlantic City and there was no sales person older than maybe 25yo and no security guards at all. And the doors were wide open! In Waikiki the Rolex shop (the good vintages are in back) had the same thing, young sales dudes and no guards.

What is everyone’s beef with Tourneau? I have bought 6 of my 8 Breitlings, a Bell & Ross and several other pieces from them and never had one issue…Maybe because I only dealt with the manager…but the one by me has gotten me any piece I have wanted at prices better then any other AD.

On a similar note, the Tourneau I frequent, has had 2 incidents where customers have walked in, tried on a piece and bolted. Both we caught on camera and arrested within days. Of course the watches never showed up. About 5 years ago, they got hit by professionals that cleared a good portion of the store out after hours. About a year later the group, 23 people in total we caught in New Mexico by the FBI. Seems like they we sweeping the country stealing watches and selling them in South America and Asia.

Depending on the state you live, armed security guards will have little effect. Someone makes a run for the door, all they can do it tackle them and try to stop them from getting away. They can not draw their weapon unless they are in a life threatening situation.

I've been to both K of P and Atlantic City Tourneau stores. Other than surveillance cameras, they have no physical security presence. In King of Prussia, the jewelery store across from Tourneau, can't remember the store name has a real big dude there for security. He has to be seven feet tall and just about as wide.

i hate tourneau as well, it because they offer no more than 15 percent off. that only happens if you've brought watches with them before. they are getting more stingy.

Wow there is a reason to hate a store...becuase they did not give you what you wanted! :good:

Forget Tourneau, what about the stranglehold Rolex have over the US market... check this out, was posted on a gen forum a little while ago: http://www.justice.gov/usao/nye/pr/2011/2011mar10.html

United States Attorney's Office

Eastern District of New York

March 10, 2011

PRESS RELEASE

SELLER OF GRAY MARKET ROLEX WATCHES AGREES TO FORFEIT OVER $1.9 MILLION IN MERCHANDISE AND PAY A $325,000 PENALTY

Loretta E. Lynch, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, today announced that Boneta, Inc., a privately owned business located in New York City’s Diamond District, has agreed to forfeit over $1.9 million worth of illegally imported Rolex watches and watch parts and to pay a $325,000 penalty, pursuant to a settlement agreement with the United States. In addition, Boneta has consented to increased penalties for any future illegal importations of trademarked merchandise.

Boneta came to the attention of law enforcement after its owner, Erik Boneta, attempted to import shipments of “gray market” Rolex watches from Hong Kong through John F. Kennedy International Airport. This merchandise was authorized by Rolex for sale only outside the United States, typically at prices lower than those charged for comparable items authorized for sale within the United States. Following the seizure of the shipments, Homeland Security Investigation (HSI) agents conducted an investigation into Boneta’s import activity. The investigation led to a search of Boneta’s offices, where HSI agents seized in excess of 200 Rolex watches as well as an assortment of hundreds of Rolex watch parts.

“We will enforce the laws that prohibit the illegal importation of trademarked merchandise at the border and where the merchandise is sold,” stated United States Attorney Lynch. Ms. Lynch expressed her grateful appreciation to U.S. Customs and Border Protection for its assistance in the investigation and the resolution of this matter.

“HSI’s effort to enforce laws protecting copyright and trademark holders is a long term commitment,” said James T. Hayes, Jr., Special Agent-in-Charge of HSI in New York. “Our goal is to put an end to the ability of companies like Boneta, Inc., to perpetrate such illegal conduct.”

• 3 weeks later...

Forget Tourneau, what about the stranglehold Rolex have over the US market... check this out, was posted on a gen forum a little while ago: http://www.justice.gov/usao/nye/pr/2011/2011mar10.html

United States Attorney's Office

Eastern District of New York

March 10, 2011

PRESS RELEASE

SELLER OF GRAY MARKET ROLEX WATCHES AGREES TO FORFEIT OVER $1.9 MILLION IN MERCHANDISE AND PAY A $325,000 PENALTY

Loretta E. Lynch, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, today announced that Boneta, Inc., a privately owned business located in New York City’s Diamond District, has agreed to forfeit over $1.9 million worth of illegally imported Rolex watches and watch parts and to pay a $325,000 penalty, pursuant to a settlement agreement with the United States. In addition, Boneta has consented to increased penalties for any future illegal importations of trademarked merchandise.

Boneta came to the attention of law enforcement after its owner, Erik Boneta, attempted to import shipments of “gray market” Rolex watches from Hong Kong through John F. Kennedy International Airport. This merchandise was authorized by Rolex for sale only outside the United States, typically at prices lower than those charged for comparable items authorized for sale within the United States. Following the seizure of the shipments, Homeland Security Investigation (HSI) agents conducted an investigation into Boneta’s import activity. The investigation led to a search of Boneta’s offices, where HSI agents seized in excess of 200 Rolex watches as well as an assortment of hundreds of Rolex watch parts.

“We will enforce the laws that prohibit the illegal importation of trademarked merchandise at the border and where the merchandise is sold,” stated United States Attorney Lynch. Ms. Lynch expressed her grateful appreciation to U.S. Customs and Border Protection for its assistance in the investigation and the resolution of this matter.

“HSI’s effort to enforce laws protecting copyright and trademark holders is a long term commitment,” said James T. Hayes, Jr., Special Agent-in-Charge of HSI in New York. “Our goal is to put an end to the ability of companies like Boneta, Inc., to perpetrate such illegal conduct.”

So in summary, this Boneta group was importing watches from a place that Rolex allowed to sell for a cheaper price than normal. This is illegal because?

I can't believe that there is a law in place whose purpose is nothing more than to maximize a companies' profit. If this Boneta wants to buy watches and sell them for a profit, isn't that the definition of a free market economy? Rolex are seriously twisting the screws on their dealers from all sides.