When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Photography

praetor

Of a project I'm currently doing... any tips to immprove sharpness?

I'm using a Nikon D90. Maybe a macro lens? improve lighting?

Project relevant questions? should I trim the outside CG more or should I keep them thick?? *decisions decisions*

case mods so far: trimed cg, rebrush lugs, thinned lugs, reduce height of rehaut to 80%, reduce outer diameter of rehaut to get the correct interference.

front.jpg

side-1.jpg

side2.jpg

Inserts: gen 16800 on the wm9, gen vintage 16800 top, gen mk fat font insert bottom (got it for $165 -- bit the bullet so to speak)

insert.jpg

btw: how come my old 6.0 mm tube tool don't work? I had to use a rat tail file to get the tube in.

Edited by praetor

Tripod, tripod, tripod!

After that, the best way would be to shoot either full manual or aperture priority. The larger the aperture number the better depth of field you get so for those side profiles you will get the front and back of the case in focus. Better lighting could help, but it's mostly more about the stable platform for the camera. Also, for longer exposure times, it usually helps to use the timer or remote to trigger the shutter as just the action of using your hand to press the shutter can cause the smallest movement which will then mean fuzzy focus.

What lens are you using now? Is it the kit lens (18-55mm)?

Oh one other thing - the white balance settings are somewhat important as well. Check out this post I did on white balance settings and differences

Thanks redwatch, too lazy to get the tripod in the basement...maybe next time.

I'm using the standard lens kit. Didn't want to invest in anything yet. Tried to do focus stacking without a tripod is impossible as I just found out.

I'm shooting in Raw and just winging white balance in photoshop.

about the apeture thing... time to read the manual -_-...

Hmmm, get a Pentax? :rofl:

Seriously, though, with the zoom that came on my Pentax I have never had to use the macro lens I bought. Everything above is good advice and I really should dig my tripod out of the back of the closet (I think) someday... :whistling:

What you did looks good.

But, as was said above, use a tripod (or something to rest the camera on). And, to prevent twitching the camera when you press the shutter button, use either a remote switch or your camera's timer to control the shutter.

Mostly, it all comes down to lighting/angle & (lots of) practice.

I have shot jewelry for catalogs back in the days of the film camera. Lighting is everything. A quick fix if you don't have equipment is to shoot it outside. Use something like an umbrella to put you work in even shade so the light will be uniform. You can even take small white and/or silver card stock to reflect into the shadow areas or create your own highlights. Don't forget the other suggestions(smaller aperture(bigger f-stop), tripod, cable release, lower ISO, macro focusing) You should also try lock up the mirror to help with vibration. Also, use the manual settings and just bracket until you find the right exposure