When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I REALLY like it here!

dbutlerman

Well it's taken me a just over 2 years to get here, but I've finally reached by 1,000th post!  I would like to thank all the great members here (especially Admin, Ubiquitous, Chefcook, Redwatch, LHOOQ, modelizer and *woof) for all the advice, inspiration and eye-candy!  I've owned quite a few watches over the last couple of years, so I've decided to cap my 1,000th post with a walk down memory lane.

My first rep (pre-RWG) - a cheap cheap Rolex Day-Date

DSC_0009.jpg

Then I found RWG and a whole new world opened up…

My first good rep - Rolex GMT IIc

DSC_0033-1.jpg

Then I cought the Omega Bug (which I can't quite seem to shake)…Omega Red Seamaster (Bond)

DSC_0008-4.jpg

After that I found another really cool brand…IWC, now there is a good Rep… IWC 3717 - this is also the first watch that I did any real mods to.  Chief Double AR Crystal, ETA Day & Date Wheels (I've actually owned two of these - bought mod'd and sold, and re-bought and sold again, felt lonely, bought another and ended up selling it…)

e5742af2.jpg

Then the Omega Bug really bit me, so I tracked down a 4th Gen 42mm PO with the intent of creating a Franken…Ended up Adding ETA Date Wheel, Gen Dial, Hands, Bezel, Bracelet, Crown and Crown Tube...

DSC_0002-3.jpg

But then something terrible happened…I won the Genuine Omega Speedy Raffle here on RWG.  

DSC_0021-1-1.jpg

OK, so it wasn't really terrible, but it did lead me to a very big mistake.  That mistake was thinking that I couldn't wear anything but the Speedy (so I sold the above mentioned Franken Planet Ocean)

Realizing the error of my ways (and missing the PO something real bad), I contacted Ubi and purchased his Franken PO which was the original inspiration for my franken build.  I then proceed to add Gen Crown and Tube and eventually Gen Crystal and Gen Caseback…

po-12-30-10.jpg

and then…I decided that I wanted to build a watch from parts.  I hadn't had any vintage watches as of this point, so I figured I wanted something old, and ended up deciding on building a 1665 DRSD.  I sourced a MBW 1665 case, MBW DRSD Dial, ETA 2846, Silver Datewheel overlay and WO990 hands…

1665-3.jpg

Not quite satisfied with the final results, I eventually ended up changing it to a MBW Great White Sea-Dweller with Clarks Crystal and Hands and Gen Rolex Service Insert

13.JPG

After being fairly happy with my collection at the time, I accidentally discovered the WatchCo NOS Seamster 300 and it kind of turned into a grail of sorts, so I decided to build one.  In order to pursue it I decided to part with some old friends and sold the 3717 (again) and the 1665 and went about collecting the parts for my first Ultra-Super-No-Not-Kidding-Uber-Franken (I think that is the correct terminology) build.

First though, I bought this (I have to include it because, technically it was a full watch - at least for a few minutes)

seamastermovement1.jpg

and then I collected all the various parts

smparts.jpg

seamaster3002.jpg

and then built:

sm300-06-28-1.jpg

At this point I think my collection is complete (at least for now)…

omegas-05-09-28.jpg

ok not quite…after building the SM300 I decided I wanted a beater just for kicks…the Seiko SKX007 is actually a pretty cool watch…

skx06-22-11.jpg

And now…the collection is complete.  I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did reminiscing about my past watches (ok so I know that you didn't, because that would be impossible)!

- db2

Happy RWG Collector

Great post. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I always love to hear about the journey. I wish I could get that organized to put together a photographic essay of the journey through rep and frankendom.

You also get my vote for the most creative franken description. I now have a new word to add to my WIS dictionary - "Ultra-Super-No-Not-Kidding-Uber-Fraken". :1a: Okay, maybe I add the "n". ;)

Congratulations db! Love reading about your various builds! You are a true asset to the community!

So?? What's next on the list? :D

Ummm...I guess the only step forward would be a Vintage Rolex Build a la Ubi. Some with all gen parts, but...that probably isn't going to be for a while..

awesome!! :D I wish I still had my very own 1st cheapo rep.. congrats for your 1000th!

Thanks, unfortunately, it was one of the first things I sold once I got here :)

I now have a new word to add to my WIS dictionary - "Ultra-Super-No-Not-Kidding-Uber-Fraken". :1a: Okay, maybe I add the "n". ;)

Whoops! Fixed that..Thanks!

Great post db! You have some awesome watches and some serious photographic skills buddy :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks for all your advice when we were building our 300's..very good meeting you and exchanging ideas :)

Maybe we will have to do collaborate on some future project!

And thanks to all the other well wishers too!

Huge congrats on the first big 1 my friend! As said before - you're a true asset to this community and we're lucky to have you on board! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And personally I'd like to thank you for all the inspiration, help and time spent as horological sparring partner! :drinks:

Now enjoy that sweet collection of yours and figure out your next project.. ;)