When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Selitta SW500 automatic chronograph movement

txrob779

Man oh man....I was watching shopNBC's Prime Time Watchtes w/Tim and Mike Davis of Invicta last night and saw an Invicta Reserve Excursion Automatic Chronograph with a Sellita SW500 movement in it at $675 completly SWISS MADE too. They said in so many words that this movement has now surpassed the ETA Valjoux 7750 as "THE" Automatic Chrono movement too have, they even said that Rolex will most likey be modifying this movement and calling it a Rolex Calibre movement for the new Daytona and also that Tag, Omega and other highend watchmakers are snatching this up....They also said they were able to go into Sellita and work with them to modify the movement to work for Invicta and ETA would have never done that... The Invicta was KILLER and hopefully the new Daytona Reps will use this movement, at more money, of course and end the whipping of the failing Valjoux movement...anyone got anything to chime in on? They also said the SW200 has surpassed the ETA 2824 and a SW300 is due out soone as well with will surpass the ETA 2892...and the floodgates open because THAT will be the platform for SOOO many timepieces.

I wouldn't mind a SW 500 for the chrono reps at all. I like the SW 200 series alot, but I heard they're starting to clone

these too. As for Rolex snatching up an Invicta/SW 500 movement- I tend to doubt it too. I don't think you can believe all the hype those TV

guys talk.I've seen those 2 together, it's pretty hilarius. Invicta has always been a Rolex wannabe.

• Like 1

I can't imagine Rolex spending millions of $$$ to engineer and manufacture a chrono movement and then sh*t can it for a Sellita. Just makes absolutely no sense. Nor does it make sense that ETA, the largest watch movement manufacturer in the world is gonna let a little pissant company like Sellita kill their biggest selling automatic movements without a huge fight, even it the patents are expired. Remember, Sellita was a merely a supplier to ETA just a few years ago and all they have now is the same ETA clones that the Chinese have. Only better quality and cleaner manufacturing environment.

It's great that the big bully, ETA is finally getting some competition though.

The rep manufacturers and independents are still not getting any quantities of Sellita movements apparently. I'd love to see that market open up

Rolex has put a lot of time and effort in achieving manufacturing autonomy, going so far as producing their own Parachrom mainsprings (mainsprings are largely outsourced by almost every brand and manufacturer; Nivarox is typically the supplier).

I don't think Rolex is going to take a step back by going 3rd party in a Rolex production piece. Tudor maybe... But not Rolex.

I can't imagine Rolex spending millions of $$$ to engineer and manufacture a chrono movement and then sh*t can it for a Sellita.

I agree. Rolex has changed their business strategy and invested several million francs in their movement development. They even built new sites and hired many skilled people. They're definitely not going to use Sellitas in their watches.

Nor does it make sense that ETA, the largest watch movement manufacturer in the world is gonna let a little pissant company like Sellita kill their biggest selling automatic movements without a huge fight, even it the patents are expired.

Here I disagree. The Hayek family who owns and manages ETA have decided to only produce ebauches and movements for their own trust. They did this to force Swiss watch manufacturers to diversify. Nicolas Hayek saw himself not only as a business man but also as a protector of Swiss economy. He thought it bad for the industry that ETA was that powerful on the market. When he decided to stop selling ETA ebauches to other manufacturers the Swiss antitrust office forced him to prolong sales for some years so that other companies could step up and fill the gap ETA would leave open. Sellita is one of those smaller companies that took the chance offered to them by Hayeks strategy.

Kind regards

Valerian

Here I disagree. The Hayek family who owns and manages ETA have decided to only produce ebauches and movements for their own trust. They did this to force Swiss watch manufacturers to diversify. Nicolas Hayek saw himself not only as a business man but also as a protector of Swiss economy. He thought it bad for the industry that ETA was that powerful on the market. When he decided to stop selling ETA ebauches to other manufacturers the Swiss antitrust office forced him to prolong sales for some years so that other companies could step up and fill the gap ETA would leave open. Sellita is one of those smaller companies that took the chance offered to them by Hayeks strategy.

The impression I got was that Hayek did this so as to force out of business the upstart Swiss watch makers who only focused on making pretty cases and marketing, who were eating into Swatch's market share. I wouldn't read anything altruistic in his actions, rather it was simply a business decision that the profit margin in selling Swiss movements is much less than the margin in selling Swiss watches, and Swatch wasn't interested in supplying their competitors with movements which ended up being cased in watches that competed with Swatch for market share.

The impression I got was that Hayek did this so as to force out of business the upstart Swiss watch makers who only focused on making pretty cases and marketing, who were eating into Swatch's market share. I wouldn't read anything altruistic in his actions, rather it was simply a business decision that the profit margin in selling Swiss movements is much less than the margin in selling Swiss watches, and Swatch wasn't interested in supplying their competitors with movements which ended up being cased in watches that competed with Swatch for market share.

Another way of looking at it. More cynical, but probably also closer to the truth. :mellow:

Val.

I don't think Rolex is going to take a step back by going 3rd party in a Rolex production piece. Tudor maybe... But not Rolex.

Tudor are already using Sellita movements, so that's the most likely explanation. I'd bet money on this being the case.

... they even said that Rolex will most likey be modifying this movement and calling it a Rolex Calibre movement for the new Daytona and also that Tag, Omega and other highend watchmakers are snatching this up.......

C'mon, these guys have no idea what are they talking about, not only they mention Rolex, but Omega - THE luxury brand of the Swatch group (group that ETA is member of), that wants to compete with Rolex, brand that exclusively uses co-axial escapement in their movements ? It's like saying that Mercedes will drop it's own CDI technology and Audi will abandon using VW group TDI engines in favor of PSA HDi engines - because they perform so good in Peugeots (no insult intended for Peugeot fans :whistling: ) - in other words complete crap.

It was a well know and often discussed fact that Saelita is most probable candidate to jump in place of ETA as provider of ebauches and complete movements to watch companies outside of Swatch group, once Swatch group stops selling. Companies like Tag and Breitling will for sure go to Saelita, at least for lower range - in addition to their in-house movements, and Zenith movements for Tag.

regards

How can you tell when SHOPNBC host and Invicta talking heads are lying? When there lips are moving. :D I consider that show a Insult to watch enthusiast. No offense Rob,there was a time that I hung on there every word. I started to do some research and that was the end of that. Invictas are made in China,make no mistake. They put a Swiss movement in these things and call them "Swiss Made",they are not. There a ok watch for the money but they are not a fine Swiss made timepiece. Most of the members here know more about the world of horology than those clows at SHOPNBC,remember there sales people. Nothing wrong with Selitta 200/500 movements. Maybe no ETA but a fine Swiss made movement none the less.:) Mike

I wouldn't mind a SW 500 for the chrono reps at all. I like the SW 200 series alot, but I heard they're starting to clone

these too. As for Rolex snatching up an Invicta/SW 500 movement- I tend to doubt it too. I don't think you can believe all the hype those TV

guys talk.I've seen those 2 together, it's pretty hilarius. Invicta has always been a Rolex wannabe.

Thats true, prolly a marketing scheme

How can you tell when SHOPNBC host and Invicta talking heads are lying? When there lips are moving. :D I consider that show a Insult to watch enthusiast. No offense Rob,there was a time that I hung on there every word. I started to do some research and that was the end of that. Invictas are made in China,make no mistake. They put a Swiss movement in these things and call them "Swiss Made",they are not. There a ok watch for the money but they are not a fine Swiss made timepiece. Most of the members here know more about the world of horology than those clows at SHOPNBC,remember there sales people. Nothing wrong with Selitta 200/500 movements. Maybe no ETA but a fine Swiss made movement none the less.:) Mike

You are right, I read about Swiss horology and saw that Indeed Invicta was misre[resenting Swiss Made and was forced to backstep. I and just a WIS so any watch shows get my attention however I had never heard of Selita and found it interesting. They made NO direct references to Rolex, Tag or Omega...just obvious comments i.e. price and so on. I just found it interesting is all and wanted to share it. I have enjoyed some great comments and learned alot from you guys.

Thanks

Too funny. You were watching an infomercial where folks make up whatever they need to to sell their product. Sellita is the upstart. They do make perfectly good movements and even they are being repped already. Invicta is promoting them because they can get those and ultimately not ETA. And If you go back to articles and financials of Swatch a few years ago you will see that Swatch pushed to get permission to discontinue ebauches for at least a couple of efforts. First and foremost they were losing money on them. Second, their movements were showing up in crap and rep watches denigrating the entire effort. And as for being altruistic nothing could be further from the truth. When the watch industry consolidated and rebounded they immediately petitioned to get out of their money losing industry leadership.

While Sellita movement are good, they are no where near the quality, fit and finish, or tolerances of a standard ETA.

I haven't seen the 7750 clone yet, but based on the 2824 Sellita's I have seen and worked on, Sellita has a long way to go...they are no where near the quality of even cheap Japanese movements like Miyota.

By comparison a Miyota 8215 at $50.00 would score a 10, is simple to adjust and rate, and is bullet proof.

The Sellita 2824 copy at $125.00 would score no more than a 6, it can be a nightmare to adjust, the fitment of the parts is all over the place, and overall is a nightmare to work on.

Sounds like it was an Informercial for Sellita, don't believe anything you see or read...

While Sellita movement are good, they are no where near the quality, fit and finish, or tolerances of a standard ETA.

I haven't seen the 7750 clone yet, but based on the 2824 Sellita's I have seen and worked on, Sellita has a long way to go...they are no where near the quality of even cheap Japanese movements like Miyota.

By comparison a Miyota 8215 at $50.00 would score a 10, is simple to adjust and rate, and is bullet proof.

The Sellita 2824 copy at $125.00 would score no more than a 6, it can be a nightmare to adjust, the fitment of the parts is all over the place, and overall is a nightmare to work on.

Sounds like it was an Informercial for Sellita, don't believe anything you see or read...

I dont know one Asian automatic movement from the rest but I have several Asain movement watches including Invicta's that work great as far as I am concerened. Reliable, no issue what so ever...I agree I was taken in by the Infomercial/

Thanks for chiming In Zigmeister,It's always nice to hear from someone who has actually worked on such movements.:)