When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help with my new GMT II pepsi, any suggestions?

cht

Well, I had just bought this and found the bezel would not rotate. It was glued in place.

Pbdad had his watchmaker switch the bezel insert for the previous owner and he knows nothing about it.

:(

This was originally a BK noob GMT.

The previous owner has been willing to help make this right, the problem is, what needs to be done to fix it?

Any help would be largely appreciated!

img1854e.jpg

This is what was there when I opened it.

img1857qi.jpg

Glue cleaned off to a certain extent <_<

It looks like the retaining ring is still stuck to the rotating portion of the bezel assemlby. would the spring be in there?

If I try and put it back together, it will not stay on, it just falls off.

img1859s.jpg

]

Edited by cht

There should be a "click ring" between it and the case and it looks like the octagon/paper-clip spring is MIA - that's why it falls off and probably why it was glued on.

Normally those two holes are locators for the tabs that stick down out of the little sheet-metal "click-ring" but the bezel has no teeth on the bottom so the case probably "serves" more than one style of construction. But, the bezel looks like it has a groove for the octo-spring...

This is a modded Rep 16610 Silix style case if you ask me. The way it is converted to bi-directional is to grind the teeth off and remove the click components.

This looks like it should use the wire tension system that clips into the bezel, and rides in a grovve in the case. This is not a regular tension ring setup.

My guess is a former owner had problems with the wire system, and just glued it.

In theory, if you had the wire, you could make it right.

Hey guys, I'll chime in as I was the previous owner...

I bought this watch here on RWG, this is the original sales thread (just managed to dig it up today). It was sold as needing service but no mention of bezel issues, and several members including those that own BK noob GMTs seemed to think it was legit. I'm pretty sure I had the seller ship directly to PBdad, who I've worked with before and who was going to handle the service as well as swap the original black insert to Pepsi for me. I don't try ANY mods myself, leave that stuff to the pros. PB sent the watch off for service, and he himself swapped the insert (not sure in which order though). At the time he made no mention of the glue etc., but maybe he wouldn't have noticed? I honestly know very little about the bezel construction.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much, but it's all the info I've got... and as mentioned in the OP, I've been in contact with the buyer, and PB, trying to sort this out.

Edited by ispytonyv

If this was his normal transformer, there should have been two complete bezel assemblies, sounds like one is missing? I would not be surprised if BK has a spare bezel with the aforementioned octagon wire installed.

If this was his normal transformer, there should have been two complete bezel assemblies, sounds like one is missing? I would not be surprised if BK has a spare bezel with the aforementioned octagon wire installed.

Nope! I contacted him several months ago as I wanted a 3rd bezel for the Coke insert. No luck!

I decided to abandon the black insert since I have enough black watches.