When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

80's Rolex Datejust rep

txrob779

001-1.jpg

002.jpg

I bought this TT Daejust rep from a friend who was a car dealer in 89...he said a jeweler had made 2, a mens and lasies for his wife. Now in my limited knowleged of reps....really good Chinese ones were hard to find in the 80's sans the crappy ones...This rep may very well have a GEN dial and Bezel...but I cannot tell. The movement appears to be a 17 jewel ETA..it still works however the crown is bad and missing (tried to have this movement put in a Tag Kirium rep and the watchmaker had issues with replacing the crown) the sweep is awsome but the crystal, which I think is mineral has a coke bottle kinda green hue to it that turned me off years ago...the Italian TT Jubilee bracelet has the gold wearing off but I would rather have the TT Oyster. I have met a few local N.Texas guys here I hope can help me get it rolling again...it was WAS a great wearing rep until I retired it.

Any ideas or commenta about this rep are welcome for sure..Thanks RWG dudes.

The dial is very close but I don't think it's gen. Look at the spacing of the letters "ET" on chronometer. They seem a little stretched compared to my gens. Also the Rolex crown is crooked and the opening at the base of the crown looks a little too oval. I could be wrong.........

It also should have a champagne date wheel, lug holes, and you're missing a crown tube.

And the bezel doesn't look flat enough to be a gen. You'd need to post to side shot to be sure.

The dial is very close but I don't think it's gen. Look at the spacing of the letters "ET" on chronometer. They seem a little stretched compared to my gens. Also the Rolex crown is crooked and the opening at the base of the crown looks a little too oval. I could be wrong.........

It also should have a champagne date wheel, lug holes, and you're missing a crown tube.

And the bezel doesn't look flat enough to be a gen. You'd need to post to side shot to be sure.

You are absolutely right I never would have noticed that....thanks RWG WIS's lol

Dial is definitely decent for the time period of replication, but certainly not genuine. The date window size/position is the instant tell for me. From there you can start working your way out in identifying the details and minutiae that would further indicate that it is not authentic.

For a piece made in the 80's it's pretty dang good...

Dial is definitely decent for the time period of replication, but certainly not genuine. The date window size/position is the instant tell for me. From there you can start working your way out in identifying the details and minutiae that would further indicate that it is not authentic.

For a piece made in the 80's it's pretty dang good...

Thanks I thought so too..now I just get it running again and put a TT oyster bracelet on it..if anyone can help me rebuild this watch please lemme know.

There was a local rep watch dealer back in the late 80's selling those here in Houston. He got them in Thailand if I remember correctly. I still have one of them somewhere, but not sure where it is at the moment. The one I have is the same dial as yours. He (his name was "Chuck") would travel to car dealerships and flea markets here in Texas selling them. He had two versions of them...one with the ETA movement and another with some kind of asian movement. The asian movement one was about $100 and the swiss one was around $150 even back then. He also had a few presidential models mostly with "diamonds" on them.

They were the best I had ever seen at that time.

There was a local rep watch dealer back in the late 80's selling those here in Houston. He got them in Thailand if I remember correctly. I still have one of them somewhere, but not sure where it is at the moment. The one I have is the same dial as yours. He (his name was "Chuck") would travel to car dealerships and flea markets here in Texas selling them. He had two versions of them...one with the ETA movement and another with some kind of asian movement. The asian movement one was about $100 and the swiss one was around $150 even back then. He also had a few presidential models mostly with "diamonds" on them.

They were the best I had ever seen at that time.

I agree..when I saw it I had to have it...and Emitt was a car dealer so that makes sense. Maybe I dont remember correctly...I would LOVE to ressurect this replica...i really would.