When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

travelling with a rep

tre

Hi all,

I am wondering:

soon i will have to travel (by plane) EU > USA > Canada > EU. Would it be a big risc to wear a rep doing such trip? Anyone did some trips like this one before?

as usual many thanks for the advice!!!

EDIT:the watch is a Rolex if this should matter

Edited by tre

it COULD be a problem. Especially in countries with strict customs (such as Germany), I'd be a bit careful. While it's not illegal to own reps, they could ask for a proof of tax payment, especially with a high value watch, such as a rolex.

(But that's just theory, I've travelled with reps many times and there was never a problem!)

Cheers, Tim

This is a topic which has been on my mind a bit lately as well. In the past, I've worn reps through Japanese and Spanish customs with no issues at either place, but I do have concerns. While I understand that customs have the power to remove contraband from people, my question is: Ignoring anything in carryon or regular baggage, because of course, traveling with a case-full of reps is asking for trouble :whistling:, how likely is it that customs in Country X are actually going to remove the wristwatch a person is wearing? I know rep goods are illegal in France and Italy, but do they just clampdown on mail imports, or are passenger's personal garments subject to the same scrutiny and confiscatability? (Like my new word? :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) Depending on the outcome/feedback, I might just get one of those suicide bomber Casios to wear in such countries :)

I've been travelling from the EU to both the US and Canada wearing a rep on my wrist without any hassle - in fact I even got compliments from the customs for my IWC 3717 v1! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

However, within EU to a recent RWG GTG with a full watch box I actualy did have a small incident.. Me and my travel companion (Bionic Tim) had to somewhat butter up the airport security gal (who was a bit suspicious) @ Copenhagen Airport on the way out, but apart from that it was all gooooood! We even had 3 more pieces on our way home! :lol:

To sum it all up: I wouldn't worry too much about what's on your wrist while travelling..

I've been travelling from the EU to both the US and Canada wearing a rep on my wrist without any hassle - in fact I even got compliments from the customs for my IWC 3717 v1! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

However, within EU to a recent RWG GTG with a full watch box I actualy did have a small incident.. Me and my travel companion (Bionic Tim) had to somewhat butter up the airport security gal (who was a bit suspicious) @ Copenhagen Airport on the way out, but apart from that it was all gooooood! We even had 3 more pieces on our way home! :lol:

To sum it all up: I wouldn't worry too much about what's on your wrist while travelling..

Sounds like fun ;)

I can just imagine that, tim does have a way with words for the ladies! but he would not leopard crawl round the bar for one though!

I take it she was a hotty :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well, considering her being airport security I'll have to say yes! ;)

I can just imagine that, tim does have a way with words for the ladies! but he would not leopard crawl round the bar for one though!

True, true.. But he didn't get any lingon berries @ the restaurant.. :whistling:

Ahhh, no real party without a leopard crawl!! GOOD TIMES!! :drinks:

hmm, this sounds good.

So reading all this i can conclude that there are countries that even allow having a rep??? i heard of this before :)

still i suspect this is not the case for the USA and Canada, right? (never been there before ;-) )

The USA does not have any law about owning replicas.

When I travel I always bring my MBW 1665. It's loads of fun to mess with people's minds. You know those little plastic trays you have to put your stuff in for the xray? If you "forget" and wear a watch into the scanner and it beeps, then you get to take your watch off and throw it into the tray from where you're standing. And if you miss and it clatters and bounces all over the place and falls on the ground? Even better. Take that, you miserable overpriced piece of stainless steel! :tu: Jaws will drop. Trust me.

• Like 1

When I travel I always bring my MBW 1665. It's loads of fun to mess with people's minds. You know those little plastic trays you have to put your stuff in for the xray? If you "forget" and wear a watch into the scanner and it beeps, then you get to take your watch off and throw it into the tray from where you're standing. And if you miss and it clatters and bounces all over the place and falls on the ground? Even better. Take that, you miserable overpriced piece of stainless steel! :tu: Jaws will drop. Trust me.

Can't wait to give that a try :lol::thumbsupsmileyanim:

In and out of Italy a couple times last year and this year. Customs and Immigration officers all liked my Rep PAM and my Rep Rolex YM, etc.

And under a sign on the street in Florence taking about Counterfeit Product Seizures was a great little dealer of high-end quality reps of handbags etc.

Not a problem.