When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PT 1665 Double Red, modded

Tiyal

Aloha All,

I just completed a really tough training program for my new job and thought it fitting to reward my self with a fresh wristie. My love for GMT’s is deep but I pulled the trigger on an Angus Double Red 1665.

It would seem like you have to play it cool with Pure Time and just let them work at their own speed and communication level. It took just under 2 weeks from payment to tracking movement and another week to the door.

WOW nice finish and detail out of the box! The dome is big and the links are smooth and shaped nice. Dial has great printing although the logo crown could use a little help, and I wasn’t to hip on the yellowish dots and hands. But still nice watch!!

The finish is soo good that I had expected to sand and buff and sand again but absolutely no need. The lug holes are a perfect 1.2 mm so no drilling (I bored them out any way). The crown is just awesome. The band even with its great shape and finish does have two cracked links, which look like when it was pressed together it split the link. (still awaiting a reply from Angus on this). The two broken links really don’t bother me at all.

Now they say never fix something that is not broke but it was time to make this watch mine! Step one: remove the crystal and bezel assembly gently with a pocketknife. I removed the bezel and completely over-bleached it!

Using chlorine base drain cleaner and water I soaked it for maybe three minutes, my goal was to see the light swirl or fog of paint being removed, and I when I saw a little movement I pulled the bezel but it was overkill !!! no paint left ! I had modded 3 1680 bezels from josh that handled the Clorox but not this one.

Step 2 lume, I know it’s a classic and my not glow any more but I enjoy the glow !!!

This is my forth dial I’ve lumed and it is no joke, HARD. I used a hypodermic needle that I flattened to hold a small drop of lume. I worked around the dial a couple time building up the dot and then hit the triangle at 12 o’clock. The triangle is soo tough!!

Seriously the dial is ruined to the trained eye, I was so frustrated by the dial that the next day I went back at it, this time sanding the triangle and dots down ant then just massaging the overages and its not perfect but I LIKE IT!!! Not even going to touch the hands

Step 3 gasket lube

Step 4 enjoy

Enjoy the before and after,

Thanks for reading

Tiyal

post-11567-0-53033500-1315447540.jpeg

post-11567-0-13498000-1315447553.jpg

post-11567-0-31194300-1315447637.jpg

post-11567-0-30762500-1315447655.jpg

post-11567-0-86002400-1315447674.jpg

post-11567-0-73720000-1315447694.jpg

post-11567-0-36925200-1315447717.jpg

Thank you, Thank you,

@JKAY, that's in the works

@Nanuq, 121 carrier. My job is to look window and hold +/- 5 kts. :)

The watch pressure tested to 150ft+ which is great.

My bezel is excessively lose, I may have put the retainer in upside down but it all seemed to fit correctly?

Looks pretty awesome man! You've come a long way. I've been meaning to get a PT vintage. The lug holes look nice

Thanks Man!

Dude, I gave away your Vac'd GMT the other day. That watch handled! I was hanging out with a good friend who had given me a EK commando Knife a while back, so this year I paid it forward and stoked him out with the GMT!