When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wtf Am I Doing Wrong When Bleaching Inserts?

prdubis

Hi mates,

Been trying to bleach insert for months now, without results!

Am I doing something wrong?

I use bleach = sodium hypochlorite. According to some tutorials I've read here and there, I mix it with hot water (50/50%). I drop the insert inside the bowl, slightly shake it and wait for 5 to 10 minutes, then remove the insert and wash it under running water.

I have tried this method on MBW, Puretime, WSO990 inserts and they didn't bleach at all!!! I left them in the mix for half an hour without result! Pure bleach doesn't do the job neither!

Man, what's going on? Is your bleach more concentrated in the US? Do I miss something in the method?

Waiting for your help!

Thanks!

I am using Draino to bleach my inserts. I'm sure any drain cleaning product will work. You need to keep a very close eye on what you are doing. It works fast. You don't need to sand the insert, polish it when you are done or anything else. Most inserts will take a couple of minutes at the most. A gen insert, a little longer.

This insert is evenly faded. What you are seeing between the 40 and 50 is lighting and shadows.

standard.jpg

Hey guys whats up?

I find that most aftermarket inserts need a pre-scuffing before the bleach can really do its job evenly. I usually pre-scuff and pre-scratch the insert to get the patina I am looking for, then i fade it. Seems to work well that way. I use 50:50 bleach water. Might have to give draino a try next time.