When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fantasy Blue

jmb

I've always liked dark blue dials and thought that someday I would build up a nice blue dialed Sub. Seems all of the ones I'd seen were TT and I really don't like TT so the thought stayed on the back burner for a long time. Last time I ordered some bands and cases my parts guy "owed" me a dial so when he asked me what I wanted I told him to surprise me as long as it was Rolex or Tudor. Yesterday I was on the phone with txrob, talking over some possible future projects, while unwrapping this dial. He was in need of a Sub dial and I thought this was a black dial so I was telling him I was unwrapping his dial but as soon as the light hit it I told him he wasn't gettin' it! ;) My "surprise" was a dark blue Sunburst Maxi dial!!! :D The light hit it just right and I heard a little voice say "Build me, build me..." I already had a blue/silver insert so I got started.

I'm really not that fond of "modern" Subs, SEL bands, rehaut engraving, or no lug holes but I had to have this on my wrist so I used one of the cases I build my no-dates in before lug holes were drilled. The dial came with both sets of feet so I clipped the ones for the a21j, popped it on a 2836, tossed on some silver hands, and put it in the no-date case. After it was together I glued on an ofrei cyclops and attached the band. The one thing I forgot was to mill the inside of the CGs but I'll do that some other day. Although this case does have the rehaut engraving it is not as obnoxious as some as it's not blackened in and under magnification does not look lasered so I left it alone.

Just as soon as I stepped out of the shop the sun hit it and it was dazzling! The following pics do a very poor job of giving a hint at what it looks like but maybe you'll get the idea. I realize that this is probably a 100% fantasy watch but I may get rid of all of my other "Submariner Dates" as this is exactly what I had always wanted.

Blue%20Sub%201.jpg

Blue%20Sub%202.jpg

Blue%20Sub%204.jpg

Blue%20Sub%203.jpg

Blue%20Sub%205.jpg

wrist%202.jpg

• Like 1

Guest zeleni kukuruz

You should work at rolex my friend and show them how to make nice and sexy watches!!!

The line that rolex is having now is just pure [censored]!!!

Sometimes things was better before :)

Love the watch J, i would where it with pride!!!

Congrats! That is one fine watch J,

That dial really shimmers in real life I bet.

(we have to fix that pearl!)

You'll have to see it. I don't have a dawg anymore or I'd pay ya a visit!

I'll fix the pearl when I do the CGs...

Cool! But, did it have the maxi markers?

If anybody has a case laying around and would want to build one of these I'm going to order a few of these dials on my next parts order. PM me if interested...

Hmmm, the last one is a bit "Smurfy" for my tastes. It took me so long to build one due to never finding a dial I was happy with. This one just jumped up, slapped me, and said, "DO IT!!!"