When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

to create a 1016 gen franken?

ghost

Yep, 1500, 5500, 6694 and 1002 are all 19mm- all of the 34mm cases.

For a circa 1999-2000 luminova replacement dial, that 1016 dial is certainly an oddity w/o the SCOC wording- almost like a Rolex reject that missed the trash can and made it out into the real world.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I messaged Andrew Shear. He's dead certain coz of its source. He says it was a service dial of a possible transitional dial. And that the "T Swiss T" markings were not altogether inconsistent as he had service dials of 1675s with a similar deal

Dunno man. Regardless i guess i'll just use it for whichever project that floats by me, by way of providence

Since the dial is a luminova service dial, the T Swiss T marking is fine. This dial dates to around 1998-2000. I've seen 1680 dials that were marked Swiss- T<25 and lumed with luminova. My 16800 has a c. 1998 service dial marked the same- Swiss- T<25 and it still glows like a torch- luminova.

The T Swiss T mark would hark back to a circa 1963 dial- at the time that Rolex was switching from radium to tritium and adding the T's to either side of the Swiss.

I still can't explain the lack of SCOC or maybe the older OCC. Even the 5504 Explorers were marked Precision on the bottom half.

yeah i've no idea. Maybe i should've asked around before buying it, but it was bought on a whim. I didn't actually think i would've won the auction at that price i guess.

If anyone is interested in seeing shear's full reply to my enquiries (for whatever reason), just pm me and i'll forward you his reply

• 1 month later...

Regarding the dial ghost bought from Shear:

I was leafing through my green Skeet/Urul book, and came across the page for Sotheby's London, 23 March 1999. At the bottom left is a 5504 Explorer with a black 3/6/9 dial that reads "Rolex Oyster Perpetual" only. No "Explorer" and no SCOC/OCC/Precision/&c.

The entry says, "This watch has a later dial which does not have Explorer on it - this is a replacement dial issued by Rolex and was never fitted to any model."

Granted, that's a 5504 not a 1016, not to mention the usual caveats about Skeet/Urul. But it's interesting that Rolex would produce a dial like that.

The frog foot crown is throwing me off.

Don't snip the feet. try and find a non date 1570 movement and a 162XX case. You will be able to fit the 1570 with the dial in a 162XX case. Also the tropic 22 fits the case no problem. You will just need to find a bezel, or modify a 16200 bezel to fit over the tropic.

LHOOQ, i'd also seen a pic of an explorer without said writings! Can't remember the model number. I'm away now but shall endeavour to post pics when i'm back home.

Stilty, i've gotten myself a 1601, and was intending to drop the dial in. Dunno if it can be done? Also, how do i go about sourcing this tropic 22? I tried ebaying it but all the available crystals come with cyclops. We're talking gen crystals, not clark's right?

ghost: There've been a number of good builds from members who've used the 1601. Just to name three, there's ubiquitous, alligoat, and me. There's some good information in response to my thread here.

Regarding the Tropic 22, it's a much rarer crystal to find in the wild than, say, a T19 or a T21. You could try asking around VRM, but don't be surprised at paying at least $150 for a service crystal, and at least $250 for an older, domed T22. Also, posting a WTB over there is fraught with risk, so make sure you know the seller.

As far as aftermarket options go, automatico turned me onto the GS Tropic 22. If you can find one, I recommend it over the Clark T22.

Thx so much man! I assume the old trick of heating the cyclops off can't apply to these non sapphire deals

I don't think it would work, but more importantly, I'm not sure which crystal you'd want to do that to. As far as I know, the Tropic 22 has no Cyclope equivalent i.e. 29.5/31.1mm inner/outer diameters. You'd be better off using a Tropic 21 (29.5/30.6mm).

"Don't snip the feet."

"Shear is generally reliable, but not infallible. I have never seen an original 1016 without the SCOC & SWISS - T < 25 on the dial. But, as is often the case with vintage Rolex, never say never."

Very good advice.

Find out all you can about the dial before you kill it. Without dial feet it is no longer worth much. It might be a 'collector item'

"...the GS Tropic 22. If you can find one, I recommend it over the Clark T22."

The GS part number is PA 464 64C. About $10 or $12US. I have used many of them without any trouble at all.

"There've been a number of good builds from members who've used the 1601."

One problem is after drilling the lugs out for genspec springbars there is sometimes not much metal left in the lugs around the holes...usually depending on how much the case has been ground and polished in this area. Do not drill the holes any bigger than absolutely necessary and do not taper the holes on the outside as genuine cases are flat across the holes. The reason why you see tapered holes in pictures of vintage watches is because of careless polishing on the sides of the case. Sometimes a slight taper on the holes inside the lugs can help with getting the springbars in.

The 1016 case is quite a bit different from a 1600/1/3 and has slightly thicker lugs to allow for the bigger sb holes, an O section caseback gasket (the 1600/1/3 has a flat gasket), and the thicker crystal.

1016 = 330 feet/100M WR

1600/1/3 = 165 ft/50M WR

A first class 1016 or 16200 case with new tube, crown, crystal, and gaskets will probably go 150 or 200M...but by then your head will have caved in like a milk carton. :snorkel: