When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New 6265 Franken

HauteHippie

Every now and then in this hobby, the right piece just lands in your lap without any thrill of the chase. A different experience than the norm, but one that can be enjoyed all the same in the end. I think Ubi had known that the final resting place of this one would eventually be in Chieftang's watch box. And so it is...

The only difference today is that thanks to a little Zigmeister lathe work, this one is now wearing a genuine bezel to compliment the bevy of other gen parts already put in place by Ubiquitous himself.

A quick photo of this sleek, sexy and timeless piece as it stands today:

6265rsz.jpg

More to come...

• Like 2

I was tracking a gen bakelite auction on Ebay a few weeks back in the hopes it would fall under the radar. The piece was absolutely cherry, and I thought it'd be a nice change of pace on this piece to swap to from time to time. Well it ended at something like $1600 and I didn't even bother bidding.

Oh well. I'm quite content with this one exactly as is. :)

I was tracking a gen bakelite auction on Ebay a few weeks back in the hopes it would fall under the radar. The piece was absolutely cherry, and I thought it'd be a nice change of pace on this piece to swap to from time to time. Well it ended at something like $1600 and I didn't even bother bidding.

Oh well. I'm quite content with this one exactly as is. :)

I was too I think B) But too high damn price infact...

Real beauty here, congrats !!! :-)

I'm so jealous of this silver dial - just impossible to find, even if it's NOS like yours :hammer:

This is gonna be long unless someone sells a v72 franken!

Maybe yes, maybe no... nobody's know :-)

Still on the hunt for a gen dial as pictured above and a gen black bezel...

Good luck... Almost impossible to find at decent prices... And the bakelite bezels are just at a ridiculous price, considering the DW's ones are not so bad...

Crazy, eh? The bezel was a hair (and I mean a hair) too small. It had cracked two service replacement crystals during installation previously. So The Zigmeister remove a slight amount of material from the ID to prevent that from happening. Totally unnoticeable. I'm actually not sure if he used a lathe scraper, or just sand paper.

edit.... except i'm looking for a gen 7835

Thanks buddy. And a 7835 will take it to another level for sure. I needed to add another link to the 78350, which would've been kinda hard on a 7835.

Here's the recipe on this one:

Phong midcase

Serviced Valjoux 72 (Zigmeister)

Genuine parts:

- service replacement dial

- service replacement hands

- MK III bezel

- 25-21

- 24-703/24-7030

- 78350/557

- 23-9280

Edited by chieftang

I wasn't actively looking to part with this piece, but the planets were just in alignment; if the 6265 was going anywhere, I wanted it to go to a good home (and indeed it has) ^_^

Chief- Hope the vintage Cosmo provides as much enjoyment to you as it was for me to get together. It's a great companion piece to the 16520 and I think it's a very fitting addition to your stellar collection!

Crazy, eh? The bezel was a hair (and I mean a hair) too small. It had cracked two service replacement crystals during installation previously. So The Zigmeister remove a slight amount of material from the ID to prevent that from happening. Totally unnoticeable. I'm actually not sure if he used a lathe scraper, or just sand paper.

Chief, I had the same experience on my 6239 build. I used a 6265 bezel on it, and every time we pressed it onto the crystal, it would pop right up again. Trimmed a hair (confirmed: a hair) off the inside, and everything worked out great. I'm glad to know it's not just a problem with DW's cases.

I wasn't actively looking to part with this piece, but the planets were just in alignment; if the 6265 was going anywhere, I wanted it to go to a good home (and indeed it has) ^_^

Chief- Hope the vintage Cosmo provides as much enjoyment to you as it was for me to get together. It's a great companion piece to the 16520 and I think it's a very fitting addition to your stellar collection!

It's a special piece, my friend. And BTW, for those who don't know, it has the artist's birth date engraved between the lugs masquerading as a serial number. :tu:

LHOOQ - good to hear it's not just a problem with the Phong cases too!!

Edited by chieftang